    slowness?
    This is a new Sony computer and has like 50mg of memory.
    Please advise. Thanx!
    john smith, Apr 30, 2004

  2. john smith

    Tom F Guest

    If you really have a new Sony computer, I doubt that you only have 50 megs
    of memory (usually goes in powers of 2, by the way.)
    Either way, I think the use of virtual memory results from insufficient memory,
    so either increase your virtual memory, or get an upgrade.

    Tom F, Apr 30, 2004

  3. john smith

    msi Guest

    tell sony as its thier computer and problem. thats the best thing.

    msi, May 1, 2004
  4. john smith

    Plato Guest

    Tom F wrote:

    > If you really have a new Sony computer, I doubt that you only have 50 megs
    > of memory (usually goes in powers of 2, by the way.)

    He probably means he has a 50 gig or so hard drive. Many people call
    their hard drives memory.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, May 1, 2004
  5. john smith

    Plato Guest

    john smith wrote:

    > I am having problems with my system. It is running very slow and I noticed
    > that I am using most of my "virtual memory"...Could this be the cause of the
    > slowness?
    > This is a new Sony computer and has like 50mg of memory.

    Quite often new PCs dont come with enough ram to host XP properly so
    they run slow. You really want at least 512 ram in a new PC with XP.
    Many new pcs still come with 128 ram and XP I believe needs more than
    that just to boot. So, these new PCs are using swap heavily from the
    first. Many new pcs still come with 5,400 hard drives as well. All this
    to save you money so they can advertise their products as low cost.

    It's like my used cavalier wagon I'm driving now and picked up about a
    year and a half ago for $1,200. You could have got it new with a 4
    cylinder or a 6. The one I have is a 4. If I put my inlaws in it I can
    barely drive up a hill.

    I tell you tho, you get no respect in NJ if you got a small car with
    "womens league" and "socker mom" bumper stickers on the back. I do enjoy
    the 600 miles/gallon I get tho.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, May 1, 2004
  6. john smith

    Plato Guest

    john smith wrote:

    > I am having problems with my system. It is running very slow and I noticed
    > that I am using most of my "virtual memory"...Could this be the cause of the

    ps often new pcs, tho I havnt seen a new sony for some time, come with
    lots of background apps loading and running 24/7 that you dont need
    running 24/7. See what msconfig | startup has to say.
    Plato, May 1, 2004