    applications may be denied. For more information, see Help. "

    PF Usage says the system is using 2.12 GB, what the hell for? It was
    only using 376 MB before I set it to a higher minimum
    Rob J, Aug 7, 2005

  2. Rob J

    PAM. Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message

    > PF Usage says the system is using 2.12 GB, what the hell for? It was
    > only using 376 MB before I set it to a higher minimum

    :)
    Work expands to fill the (w)hole provided.

    PAM.
    PAM., Aug 7, 2005

  3. Rob J

    Tim Guest

    The problem you have is not with your paging file - unless you have a hugely
    wierd application that is actually wanting GB's of virtual memory.

    This tends to indicate to me that the application(s) you are trying to use
    is at fault.

    You imply it is one specific application. What is it?

    Have you tried AV and antispyware scans using the latest signatures?

    If you fire up task manager, (Ctrl Alt Delete, Task Manager), choose the
    Processes tab and on the View Menu, click Select Columns, and tick Virtual
    Memory Size, this will show you which applications are using large amounts
    of VM.

    - Tim

    Tim, Aug 8, 2005
  4. Rob J

    Rob J Guest

    On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 11:24:30 +1200, "Tim" <> wrote:

    >The problem you have is not with your paging file - unless you have a hugely
    >wierd application that is actually wanting GB's of virtual memory.
    >
    >This tends to indicate to me that the application(s) you are trying to use
    >is at fault.
    >
    >You imply it is one specific application. What is it?

    Zonealarm (v6)

    After running it for a couple of hours the swapfile is 1.27GB and
    vsmon.exe is using 98 megs of memory.

    I think it's partly from the hardware monitor which uses local zone to
    communicate, still ZA should be better designed than keeping a huge
    memory based list of alerts that it never shrinks or dumps.

    I used to write apps that got into endless loops and grew the swapfile
    until the PC ran out of free disk space and crashed, from where I sit
    it looks like ZA is doing just the same, more slowly that's all.
    Rob J, Aug 8, 2005
  5. Rob J

    Tony Guest

    On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 13:57:27 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 11:24:30 +1200, "Tim" <> wrote:
    >
    >>The problem you have is not with your paging file - unless you have a hugely
    >>wierd application that is actually wanting GB's of virtual memory.
    >>
    >>This tends to indicate to me that the application(s) you are trying to use
    >>is at fault.
    >>
    >>You imply it is one specific application. What is it?

    >Zonealarm (v6)
    >
    >After running it for a couple of hours the swapfile is 1.27GB and
    >vsmon.exe is using 98 megs of memory.
    >
    >I think it's partly from the hardware monitor which uses local zone to
    >communicate, still ZA should be better designed than keeping a huge
    >memory based list of alerts that it never shrinks or dumps.
    >
    >I used to write apps that got into endless loops and grew the swapfile
    >until the PC ran out of free disk space and crashed, from where I sit
    >it looks like ZA is doing just the same, more slowly that's all.

    ZoneAlam is well know as being Crap, use some of the other Free ones..

    I use the Older Kerio 2.1.5 does not use a Thing..
    Tony, Aug 8, 2005
  6. Rob J

    DoggNZ Guest

    DoggNZ, Aug 8, 2005