    settings safely so that i might run the program please?

    tia,

    kds
    king doodle squat, Jan 25, 2004

  2. i should add that i'm running winxp pro.
    king doodle squat, Jan 25, 2004

  3. king doodle squat

    Sultan Guest

    king doodle squat wrote in news:bv0p5a$4hi$:

    > i should add that i'm running winxp pro.

    Well since you more than likely have at least 128MB of Ram then you
    shouldn't have any problem.
    Does the program offer to make a change for you or does it just stop at
    this point?

    Sultan

    Sultan, Jan 25, 2004
  4. king doodle squat

    Graham Guest

    "king doodle squat" <> wrote in message

    > i should add that i'm running winxp pro.

    Right click my computer
    click properties
    then click Advanced tab
    and Advanced tab of the window that pops up
    and where it says "Total Paging.... Xmb...." click Change

    What values it needs depends on your HDD space - if this isnt a problem just
    put in 768 - 1024, something like that. The old standard use to be 2.5 your
    ram until Ram got big and HDDs got so big we didnt care. The minimum size
    (i.e. 768) is a static size that will be taken up by the HDD and then you
    will need the maximum size just incase (especially if you find yourself
    running out).

    But you'll be wanting to set a custom size on your largest drive to fix the
    problem. Or buy more ram.
    Graham, Jan 25, 2004

  5. > Well since you more than likely have at least 128MB of Ram then you
    > shouldn't have any problem.
    > Does the program offer to make a change for you or does it just stop at
    > this point?
    >
    > Sultan

    it just stops at this point, & i can't seem to get any other response.
    king doodle squat, Jan 25, 2004
  6. > Right click my computer
    > click properties
    > then click Advanced tab
    > and Advanced tab of the window that pops up
    > and where it says "Total Paging.... Xmb...." click Change
    >
    > What values it needs depends on your HDD space - if this isnt a problem

    just
    > put in 768 - 1024, something like that. The old standard use to be 2.5

    your
    > ram until Ram got big and HDDs got so big we didnt care. The minimum size
    > (i.e. 768) is a static size that will be taken up by the HDD and then you
    > will need the maximum size just incase (especially if you find yourself
    > running out).
    >
    > But you'll be wanting to set a custom size on your largest drive to fix

    the
    > problem. Or buy more ram.

    i've given this a go, but to no avail unfortunately. i've got 1GB ram & the
    HDD is around 60GB with stacks of space, so i can't see where the problem
    still lies.
    king doodle squat, Jan 25, 2004
  7. king doodle squat

    HamMan Guest

    > i'm trying to install a texas instruments' calculator program that comes

    on
    > a cd-rom, but each time i try, i get a dialogue box that says "this

    program
    > requires at least 3mb of virtual memory to run". i wary of changing any
    > settings like this, so the question is, can anyone tell me how to change

    the
    > settings safely so that i might run the program please?
    >
    > tia,
    >
    > kds

    Right click on the .exe > properties > compatibility and run it under 95 or
    98
    HamMan, Jan 25, 2004
  8. king doodle squat

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:57:00 +0000 (UTC), "king doodle squat"
    <> wrote:

    >i'm trying to install a texas instruments' calculator program that comes on
    >a cd-rom, but each time i try, i get a dialogue box that says "this program
    >requires at least 3mb of virtual memory to run". i wary of changing any
    >settings like this, so the question is, can anyone tell me how to change the
    >settings safely so that i might run the program please?
    >
    >tia,
    >
    >kds

    Right-click "My Computer", "Properties", "Advanced" tab. Under
    Performance section, click the "Settings" button, "Advanced" tab,
    under the Virtual memory section, click the "Change" button, and
    check the option, "System managed size". Click the "Set" button,
    click "OK", "Apply", and "OK" your way out.

    Virtual Memory in Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm
    Unk, Jan 26, 2004
  9. Cheers Unk

    kds
    king doodle squat, Jan 26, 2004
  10. king doodle squat

    Unk Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:08:40 +0000 (UTC), "king doodle squat"
    <> wrote:

    >Cheers Unk
    >
    >kds

    You're welcome.

    In the future, could you please include some of the message you are
    responding to, in your reply? That way, all can benefit from the solution.
    (Tools, Options, "Send" tab, check the "Include message in Reply" box.)
    Unk, Jan 26, 2004
  11. "Unk" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 23:08:40 +0000 (UTC), "king doodle squat"
    > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >Cheers Unk
    > >
    > >kds
    > >

    > You're welcome.
    >
    > In the future, could you please include some of the message you are
    > responding to, in your reply? That way, all can benefit from the

    solution.
    > (Tools, Options, "Send" tab, check the "Include message in Reply" box.)

    Will do
    king doodle squat, Jan 26, 2004