    pagefile usage is astronomical and, while I can recover the physical memory
    with something like Cacheman, how can I recover pagefile usage? And is this
    problem application-related or OS-related?

    Phydeux, Sep 22, 2005

  2. 889654 How to determine the appropriate page file size for 64-bit versions
    of
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=889654

    Processor and memory capabilities of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and
    of the x64-based versions of Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888732

    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Sep 22, 2005

  3. Phydeux

    zekolas Guest

    Phydeux wrote:
    > I've been noticing that when I run peer-to-peer software the memory and
    > pagefile usage is astronomical and, while I can recover the physical memory
    > with something like Cacheman, how can I recover pagefile usage? And is this
    > problem application-related or OS-related?

    why is this a problem, you should have your pagefile limited to some
    certain amount(I have my upper limit 1 gig). Your memory is there to be
    used, it is wastefull if your memory is not 100% full. Also memory
    managers like Cacheman are dumb and inneffective.

    For example I have 1 gig of memory, I start up windows, start office,
    firefox, google messenger ect and still have 200megs of memory left. I
    then close those applications, windows (or cacheman) should NOT remove
    any of the programs from memory, it is not hurting anything if they stay
    in memory, and if I decide to open firefox again, it will start
    extreamly fast. It is called cache, those programs should stay in memory
    incase I decide to open them again, however since they are cache, if
    windows needs the memory for some other application it can safly
    overwrite it and use it.

    I don't see why people buy a gig of memory then compain that it is full,
    memory is suppose to be full because memory is fast, a good operating
    system should not remove anything from memory untill it is all used up.

    So to answer your question, the only way to recover pagefile useage(I
    don't see any reason to do this) is to restart windows.

    zekolas, Sep 22, 2005