    Thanks

    Leesa (I)
    , Dec 12, 2005

  2. Unk Guest

    On 11 Dec 2005 22:19:08 -0800, wrote:

    >Hi... Posting for a friend here. She has a DELL laptop and keeps
    >getting an error message about her VIRTUAL MEMORY being too low or
    >something to that effect. It's a DELL P4 with 256meg of RAM and a 1.7
    >gig processor.
    >
    >Any ideas on how to correct this? She mentioned something about her
    >CACHE size or something.
    >
    >Any suggestions guys?
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >

    >Thanks
    >
    >Leesa (I)

    Right-click "My Computer", "Properties", "Advanced" tab. Under Performance section, click the
    "Settings" button, "Advanced" tab, under the Virtual memory section, click the "Change" button,
    and check the option, "System managed size". Click the "Set" button, click "OK", "Apply", and
    "OK" your way out.

    Virtual Memory in Windows XP: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm
    Unk, Dec 12, 2005

  3. wrote:
    > Hi... Posting for a friend here. She has a DELL laptop and keeps
    > getting an error message about her VIRTUAL MEMORY being too low or
    > something to that effect. It's a DELL P4 with 256meg of RAM and a 1.7
    > gig processor.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to correct this? She mentioned something about her
    > CACHE size or something.
    >
    > Any suggestions guys?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >

    > Thanks
    >
    > Leesa (I)

    256MB of RAM isn't a lot for Windows XP, so it is using hard disk space
    as virtual memory.

    Either add more RAM to the laptop, or make some more room on the hard
    disk by deleting any files that are no longer needed, uninstalling
    programs that are no longer needed or by backing up old documents and
    files she has created but no longer uses and then deleting them.
    ::Your Name Here::, Dec 12, 2005
  4. Guest

    Re: VIRTUAL MEMORY error messages (Win XP)

    I guess she could get some more RAM which is always good to have.

    Virtual memory should include some free harddrive space, but I guess
    the harddrive could be full, or someone played with the settings for
    this.
    , Dec 12, 2005
  5. Noel Paton Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi... Posting for a friend here. She has a DELL laptop and keeps
    > getting an error message about her VIRTUAL MEMORY being too low or
    > something to that effect. It's a DELL P4 with 256meg of RAM and a 1.7
    > gig processor.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to correct this? She mentioned something about her
    > CACHE size or something.
    >
    > Any suggestions guys?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >

    > Thanks
    >
    > Leesa (I)

    Unfortunately, MS screwed up the default Virtual Memory settings for XP -
    they are set to be between 1.5 and 2.5 time the size of the RAM installed.

    For such a small amount of RAM (in XP terms) as 256MB, you need to be able
    to have a large VM - preferably up to 1GB.

    See Unk's post for instructions and a link with details (it's the one used
    by the MS tech's as a guide<g>)

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi