    same error appears. I can not set a page file or swap file of any
    kind. Windows keeps resetting it to 0MB (zero MB) every time.
    Any ideas?
    Bill Jones, Jul 26, 2003

  2. Bill Jones

    JimW± Guest

    Be sure you've clicked the SET button

    If that's not it, perhaps you are having a permission problem
    You should NOT need to keep resetting the pagefile size
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140472

    If you have 2 disks (not just partitions on the same disk), optimize by putting a pagefile on both disks
    How to Configure Paging Files for Optimization and Recovery in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314482

    It is best if the MAX & MIN are the same - then the file will not become fragmented & Windows will not need to keep reconfiguring its size -- Just make sure the MIN is plenty big enough.
    Then defragment the pagefile - if you can.

    There are advantages to having the pagefile on the outside tracks - where more sectors are read in one spin. There are advantages to having the paging file in the middle of the drive - less than halfway away from any other activity on that drive. There are advantages to having a drive (on separate disk) JUST for the paging file.

    And, there are advantages to having the paging file on the fastest disk

    If you dual boot, there are more things to consider -- so you have the same size paging files on each drive in each OS

    JimW±, Jul 26, 2003

  3. The problem I have had with Virtual Memory is this--if your paging file is
    too small, or I have also found it to happen if it gets too large too
    fast--you will get a "system recovered from serious error" message with a
    spontaneous reboot. I chose the "System Managed Size", clicked SET, and
    them APPLY, and rebooted when it asked me to--and computer works fine--even
    without the patch.

    Ronnie Broyles, Jul 28, 2003