    interface. anyone can explain (or post link) what this is? i can't
    find any documention.
    thanks.

    Ugarchina, Oct 3, 2007

  2. Ugarchina

    Trendkill Guest

    On Oct 3, 1:22 pm, Ugarchina <> wrote:
    > i've noticed that my new 2960 switches have 1 virtual ethernet
    > interface. anyone can explain (or post link) what this is? i can't
    > find any documention.
    > thanks.

    Is it not for management of the device? What is the interface
    referred/named as?

    Trendkill, Oct 3, 2007

  3. Ugarchina

    Trendkill Guest

    On Oct 3, 1:33 pm, Trendkill <> wrote:
    > On Oct 3, 1:22 pm, Ugarchina <> wrote:
    >
    > > i've noticed that my new 2960 switches have 1 virtual ethernet
    > > interface. anyone can explain (or post link) what this is? i can't
    > > find any documention.
    > > thanks.

    > Is it not for management of the device? What is the interface
    > referred/named as?

    I'm guessing you are talking about the vlan interfaces for management
    or routing, but not sure. Please paste where you are seeing this.
    Here is the interface configuration guide for the 2960s:

    http://www.cisco.com.ru/en/US/docs/..._sed/configuration/guide/swint.html#wp1056566

    Trendkill, Oct 3, 2007
  4. Ugarchina

    Ugarchina Guest

    when i issue command "show version" and lists all interfaces, it says:
    24 fast ethernet interfaces
    2 gigabit ethernet interfaces
    1 virtual ethernet interface

    Ugarchina, Oct 3, 2007
  5. Ugarchina

    Trendkill Guest

    On Oct 3, 1:39 pm, Ugarchina <> wrote:
    > when i issue command "show version" and lists all interfaces, it says:
    > 24 fast ethernet interfaces
    > 2 gigabit ethernet interfaces
    > 1 virtual ethernet interface
    >
    > On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 17:36:54 -0000, Trendkill <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >> Is it not for management of the device? What is the interface
    > >> referred/named as?

    > >I'm guessing you are talking about the vlan interfaces for management
    > >or routing, but not sure. Please paste where you are seeing this.
    > >Here is the interface configuration guide for the 2960s:

    It says that on all of the IOS based switches that I have in my
    environment. I'm fairly certain this is normal, and it is most likely
    just saying that it supports virtual interfaces. However, I'm fairly
    certain that it supports more than one, but perhaps it just says 1 to
    signify the functionality. I just checked a 3550, 3560, etc, and all
    say 1 virtual interface.

    Trendkill, Oct 3, 2007
  6. Ugarchina

    Trendkill Guest

    On Oct 3, 1:57 pm, Trendkill <> wrote:
    > On Oct 3, 1:39 pm, Ugarchina <> wrote:
    >

    > > when i issue command "show version" and lists all interfaces, it says:
    > > 24 fast ethernet interfaces
    > > 2 gigabit ethernet interfaces
    > > 1 virtual ethernet interface

    > > >I'm guessing you are talking about the vlan interfaces for management
    > > >or routing, but not sure. Please paste where you are seeing this.
    > > >Here is the interface configuration guide for the 2960s:

    > It says that on all of the IOS based switches that I have in my
    > environment. I'm fairly certain this is normal, and it is most likely
    > just saying that it supports virtual interfaces. However, I'm fairly
    > certain that it supports more than one, but perhaps it just says 1 to
    > signify the functionality. I just checked a 3550, 3560, etc, and all
    > say 1 virtual interface.

    Guess it could be a console connection too. Either way, its perfectly
    normal.

    Trendkill, Oct 3, 2007
  7. Ugarchina

    Trendkill Guest

    On Oct 3, 2:29 pm, pk <> wrote:
    > Trendkill wrote:
    > > On Oct 3, 1:39 pm, Ugarchina <> wrote:
    > >> when i issue command "show version" and lists all interfaces, it says:
    > >> 24 fast ethernet interfaces
    > >> 2 gigabit ethernet interfaces
    > >> 1 virtual ethernet interface

    > > It says that on all of the IOS based switches that I have in my
    > > environment. I'm fairly certain this is normal, and it is most likely
    > > just saying that it supports virtual interfaces. However, I'm fairly
    > > certain that it supports more than one, but perhaps it just says 1 to
    > > signify the functionality. I just checked a 3550, 3560, etc, and all
    > > say 1 virtual interface.

    > On a 3750, I noticed that, after configuring a new vlan (different from vlan
    > 1), the message changed to "2 virtual ethernet interfaces" (I assigned an
    > IP address to the vlan and did "no shutdown" on it). So, I guess it's the
    > number of active vlans (I may also be wrong, of course).

    Very well could be that...in fact sounds like it is. All of my
    switches are just 'dumb' and l3 is owned on other 6500s and just
    trunked over. The only actual virtual interface is of course for
    management. Therefore I'll bet that is it...just never noticed it
    before.

    Trendkill, Oct 3, 2007
  8. Ugarchina

    pk Guest

    pk, Oct 3, 2007
  9. Ugarchina

    Scott Perry Guest

    The answer is that it is a management interface for the switch.

    If you do not assign an IP address to the ethernet switch, how else will you
    remotely connect to it?
    Where would you assign it? To a physical ethernet switchport? No, you
    assign it to a vlan interface that is available behind any ethernet port
    assigned to that VLAN.

    Example:
    interface vlan 1
    shutdown
    interface vlan 5
    description *** Management IP Address ***
    ip address 192.168.186.241 255.255.255.192
    no shutdown
    end

    --

    ===========
    Scott Perry

    Scott Perry, Oct 3, 2007
  10. Ugarchina

    windogwow

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    virtual interface

    wow this post is old :p
    I had the similar question today and I guess I have figured it out myself .... hope so.

    if you do "sh ip in b" in the switch, you will find out that the amount of vlan interfaces is same with the "sh ver" virtual ethernet interface. which means :

    if you type "interface vlan xx" and enter, it will create a SVI which ===== virtual ehternet interface.

    hope I am right on this and some one is still reading it ;P

    windogwow, Sep 4, 2013