    --
    John Dean
    Oxford
    John Dean, Feb 25, 2009

  2. John Dean

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 00:29:49 -0000, "John Dean"
    <> wrote:

    >Virtual Disks / Disk Image Emulators / whatever.
    >There seems to be a variety of names. What I'm after is a program that will
    >copy a CD or DVD to my Hard Disk so I can run software that requires a disk
    >in the drive WITHOUT putting a disk in the drive. Some software does this on
    >request - like Encarta - but I have other programs that won't run (or won't
    >run effectively and fully) without putting in the CD or DVD. Which is a
    >pain.
    >I had a virtual CD drive creator many years ago but I'd like to know what's
    >up to date.

    Ultra ISO will do it. So will Magic Iso. So will Daemon Tools.

    But not every ISO will work in a virtual CD drive. Some apps can
    actually detect if it's a virtual CD drive.
    Evan Platt, Feb 25, 2009

  3. John Dean

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 06:02:58 -0500, "dadiOH" <>
    wrote:

    >That is often the case with apps - games, often - which require an install
    >AND having the CD mounted to work. They do that by recording the drive
    >letter from which it was installed. The work around is to either find that
    >file (usually a .cfg) in the install folder and change it appropriately OR
    >change the virtual drive letter to match what was recorded.

    Nope, not the problem at all. The problem is some won't even install
    if they detect they're being installed from a virtual CD.

    Otherwise, just install the CD from the virtual drive.
    Evan Platt, Feb 25, 2009
  4. John Dean

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:42:53 -0500, "dadiOH" <>
    wrote:

    >Not much point in installing a program from a virtual CD, is there? :)

    Why not?

    Multi computer LAN setup. Only one computer has a DVD drive. Rip DVD
    from computer, put it on LAN, any computer on LAN can install it.

    There's other reasons, but that comes to mind first.
    Evan Platt, Feb 25, 2009
  5. John Dean

    Guest

    "John Dean" <> wrote:

    >Virtual Disks / Disk Image Emulators / whatever.
    >There seems to be a variety of names. What I'm after is a program that will
    >copy a CD or DVD to my Hard Disk so I can run software that requires a disk
    >in the drive WITHOUT putting a disk in the drive. Some software does this on
    >request - like Encarta - but I have other programs that won't run (or won't
    >run effectively and fully) without putting in the CD or DVD. Which is a
    >pain.
    >I had a virtual CD drive creator many years ago but I'd like to know what's
    >up to date.

    I have used Daemon http://www.daemon-tools.cc/home for years, even
    comes with it's own automatic protection removal.

    --

    Shuttle
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/toptechwriter/3120611291/sizes/l/
  6. John Dean

    thanatoid Guest

    "John Dean" <> wrote in

    > Virtual Disks / Disk Image Emulators / whatever.
    > There seems to be a variety of names. What I'm after is a
    > program that will copy a CD or DVD to my Hard Disk so I can
    > run software that requires a disk in the drive WITHOUT
    > putting a disk in the drive. Some software does this on
    > request - like Encarta - but I have other programs that
    > won't run (or won't run effectively and fully) without
    > putting in the CD or DVD. Which is a pain.
    > I had a virtual CD drive creator many years ago but I'd
    > like to know what's up to date.

    A very necessary utility.

    First the optical drives were too slow, now they're too fast.
    Sigh. (Yes, I have a slowdowner installed. It is less than
    perfect but sort of works AOT the other one I've seen.)

    http://www.cdrom-emulator.com/

    No idea how well the new version works but I've had it for
    years, works like a charm, no problems. A few bucks cheaper than
    daemon, too. And at least 50% clicks less to actually find out
    the fucking cost of the product.

    --
    "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
    (about thanatoid)
    thanatoid, Feb 27, 2009