    it's a bussiness package and thus wont help me. I thought they may be
    the sam e configurations in the email as OE but that doesnt work. I
    wonder if someone can help. TIA
    PWB, May 9, 2010

  2. PWB

    Mike Easter Guest

    PWB wrote:
    > I have been given office 2010 but am having a heck of a job setting it
    > up to accept the newly updated virginmedia.com email.

    Just because you have been given Office 2010 doesn't mean that you
    should be using its mail capabilities for your 'normal' mail.

    I would say that most of the people who have access to Office do *not*
    use its Outlook (which OL is definitely *not* Outlook Express OE).

    Some people who use OL use it as a client with an office based MS
    Exchange Server. If you have an employer who wants (or requires) you to
    use OL plus Exchange, that is another subject altogether from your
    'normal' mail.

    That description above is 'office mail'. You have not clarified here at
    all if you are required to integrate your Office suite and your office
    mail with an office Exchange server --or-- if you just /think/ that you
    have something you got for free so you /think/ you have to use the new
    free thing or it will be 'wasted'.

    > I wonder if anyone
    > knows how to do this because virginmedia say they don 't support it as
    > it's a bussiness package and thus wont help me.

    I am on virginmedia's side about that.

    > I thought they may be
    > the sam e configurations in the email as OE but that doesnt work. I
    > wonder if someone can help.

    You haven't yet explained what is wrong with your continuing to use OE
    and not use anything about Office for your mail.

    MS Office is notorious for wanting to 'take over' certain functions if
    you allow it/ elect/ to install itself for those functions such as OL's
    Outlook's. I would recommend to most people that they not install the
    OL Outlook portion of the Office suite.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 9, 2010

  3. PWB

    PWB Guest

    On 09/05/10 22:40, Mike Easter wrote:
    > PWB wrote:
    >> I have been given office 2010 but am having a heck of a job setting it
    >> up to accept the newly updated virginmedia.com email.

    > Just because you have been given Office 2010 doesn't mean that you
    > should be using its mail capabilities for your 'normal' mail.
    >
    > I would say that most of the people who have access to Office do *not*
    > use its Outlook (which OL is definitely *not* Outlook Express OE).
    >
    > Some people who use OL use it as a client with an office based MS
    > Exchange Server. If you have an employer who wants (or requires) you to
    > use OL plus Exchange, that is another subject altogether from your
    > 'normal' mail.
    >
    > That description above is 'office mail'. You have not clarified here at
    > all if you are required to integrate your Office suite and your office
    > mail with an office Exchange server --or-- if you just /think/ that you
    > have something you got for free so you /think/ you have to use the new
    > free thing or it will be 'wasted'.
    >
    >> I wonder if anyone knows how to do this because virginmedia say they
    >> don 't support it as it's a bussiness package and thus wont help me.

    > I am on virginmedia's side about that.
    >
    >> I thought they may be the sam e configurations in the email as OE but
    >> that doesnt work. I wonder if someone can help.

    > You haven't yet explained what is wrong with your continuing to use OE
    > and not use anything about Office for your mail.
    >
    > MS Office is notorious for wanting to 'take over' certain functions if
    > you allow it/ elect/ to install itself for those functions such as OL's
    > Outlook's. I would recommend to most people that they not install the OL
    > Outlook portion of the Office suite.

    The reason I've got it is because I have a windows 7 PC and the email
    on there Virginmedia doesnt support hehe. Windows has no email client
    installed on the pc asit did with Vista (windows mail) instead windows 7
    uses windows live email. So I was given office not for the other things
    it entails , apart from word which we use all the time. I was given it
    for the use of the email (Outlook) because it contains a calander ,
    tasks, etc which I need 98% of the time that is why I wanted to use it
    beside the fact the MS office suite is used in my job all the time , the
    ones that are on the PC's at work are office 2007 enterprise. But my
    boss purchased Office 2010 and asked if I would look at it because the
    rest of the suite (and outlook it appears) is different from Office 2010.
    PWB, May 9, 2010
  4. PWB

    Mike Easter Guest

    PWB wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> PWB wrote:
    >>> I have been given office 2010 but am having a heck of a job setting it
    >>> up to accept the newly updated virginmedia.com email.

    Your IP address shows you to be a cable.ntl.com; your From looks like
    ntlworld, the virginmedia info for that combination is here
    http://snipr.com/w3zpa E-mail settings for addresses ending in
    @ntlworld.com

    That link gives the settings for the smtp, pop, or imap servers.

    >>> I wonder if anyone knows how to do this because virginmedia say they
    >>> don 't support it as it's a bussiness package and thus wont help me.

    If you are going to do it, you will be expected to do it with the
    information that virgin gives for OE, WM, and Tbird. OL has slightly
    different configuration tools appearance, but the fundamental concepts
    are the same.

    >>> I thought they may be the sam e configurations in the email as OE but
    >>> that doesnt work. I wonder if someone can help.

    Yes, the configuration is the same but the 'look' is slightly different.

    > The reason I've got it is because I have a windows 7 PC and the email
    > on there Virginmedia doesnt support hehe.

    Virgin says they provide technical support for OE6, Windows Mail, Apple
    Mail and in addition they provide guides for Windows Live Mail, Tbird,
    and Outlook 2007. See below.

    I am troubled by the fact that your boss is expecting you to be able to
    handle Office 2010 on your own and (yet) you are calling up the virgin
    tech to hold your hand to setup OL 2010 when the available materials
    provided are very close to what you have.

    > Windows has no email client
    > installed on the pc asit did with Vista (windows mail) instead windows 7
    > uses windows live email.

    That is absolutely not a big deal. In terms of simplicity, the simplest
    thing you could do would be to install WLM and configure it with the
    guidelines provided by virgin

    http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller How do I set
    up Windows Live Mail?

    > So I was given office not for the other things
    > it entails , apart from word which we use all the time. I was given it
    > for the use of the email (Outlook) because it contains a calander ,
    > tasks, etc which I need 98% of the time that is why I wanted to use it
    > beside the fact the MS office suite is used in my job all the time , the
    > ones that are on the PC's at work are office 2007 enterprise. But my
    > boss purchased Office 2010 and asked if I would look at it because the
    > rest of the suite (and outlook it appears) is different from Office 2010.

    So I think I'm understanding you to say that both you and your boss feel
    that you are competent to use Office 2010 by yourself and setup Outlook
    by yourself and instead of doing that with the support illustrations
    available at virgin, you are calling up virgin tech to walk you thru'
    the OL.

    Calling tech for support for anything is a sign of inexperience.

    Even with inexperience, you should be able to setup either WLM or OL
    2010 with the guides available at virgin.

    I notice that virgin tries to talk all of its customers into using
    webmail instead of a client so they won't have to support them.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 10, 2010
  5. PWB

    PWB Guest

    On 10/05/2010 01:02, Mike Easter wrote:
    > PWB wrote:
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    > Your IP address shows you to be a cable.ntl.com; your From looks like
    > ntlworld, the virginmedia info for that combination is here
    > http://snipr.com/w3zpa E-mail settings for addresses ending in
    > @ntlworld.com
    >
    > That link gives the settings for the smtp, pop, or imap servers.

    Yes they have been upgrading and now the only domain they use for
    present and future emails is virginmedia.com

    > If you are going to do it, you will be expected to do it with the
    > information that virgin gives for OE, WM, and Tbird. OL has slightly
    > different configuration tools appearance, but the fundamental concepts
    > are the same.

    Although they give settings for TB they say that they still dont support
    that

    > Yes, the configuration is the same but the 'look' is slightly different.
    >
    >> The reason I've got it is because I have a windows 7 PC and the email
    >> on there Virginmedia doesnt support hehe.

    > Virgin says they provide technical support for OE6, Windows Mail, Apple
    > Mail and in addition they provide guides for Windows Live Mail, Tbird,
    > and Outlook 2007. See below.

    I didn't realize they give support for Apple Mail because when I was
    considering an Apple Mac in favour of my present PC they said they only
    support Microsoft,this I coudn't quite fathom because I remember before
    they were even Ntlworld when they were Cable Tel they supported Mozilla
    in the way of only giving support with Netscape

    > I am troubled by the fact that your boss is expecting you to be able to
    > handle Office 2010 on your own and (yet) you are calling up the virgin
    > tech to hold your hand to setup OL 2010 when the available materials
    > provided are very close to what you have.

    I called them up on my on back because I tried looking around and was
    unable to find the correct settings. they did say that it has been
    upgraded to pop3 not pop as it was before and the user name was the user
    name and domain name not just the username at the start of the email as
    before.

    PWB, May 10, 2010
  6. To set it up use the mail icon in the control panel to create a new profile.
    2010 is the same as 2007, use the manual configure button and enter the
    information below.

    Account Type
    POP3

    Incoming mail server
    pop3.virginmedia.com

    Outgoing mail server (SMTP)
    smtp.virginmedia.com

    User Name
    Use entire e-mail address.
    e.g.,

    your time.

    The Real Truth MVP, May 10, 2010
  7. PWB

    Max Wachtel Guest

    Max Wachtel, May 10, 2010
  8. PWB

    NotMe Guest

    "Max Wachtel" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 09 May 2010 20:02:26 -0400, Mike Easter <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Calling tech for support for anything is a sign of inexperience.

    > +1

    More a sign of Unrealistic Expectations.
    NotMe, May 10, 2010