VirginMedia to VOIP

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Stanley, Nov 13, 2009.

  1. Stanley

    Stanley Guest

    This very strange sounding info of a price increase was included with
    my monthly bill from VM.

    I hope this isn't the beginning of VM's revenge on VOIP.

    Does this mean if someone got themselves a Sipgate or Skype-In number,
    then people calling those numbers from Virgin would get this charge ?

    <<<
    Looking for the latest news on your phone service? You’ve come to the
    right place. Read on to find out more about the changes happening on
    1st December 2009.
    Calls to VOIP
    Calling VOIP numbers will cost 9p per minute. Examples of VOIP calls
    include some catalogue companies and some credit card companies.
    Usually they begin with 0844 but please note that not all 0844 numbers
    are VOIP numbers.
    Calls to mobiles
    Calls to mobiles will change.

    I was unaware of a connection between 0844 and VOIP

    Stanley, Nov 13, 2009

  2. In article <>,
    Stanley <> wrote:
    >This very strange sounding info of a price increase was included with
    >my monthly bill from VM.
    >
    >I hope this isn't the beginning of VM's revenge on VOIP.
    >
    >Does this mean if someone got themselves a Sipgate or Skype-In number,
    >then people calling those numbers from Virgin would get this charge ?
    >
    ><<<
    >Looking for the latest news on your phone service? You’ve come to the
    >right place. Read on to find out more about the changes happening on
    >1st December 2009.
    >Calls to VOIP
    >Calling VOIP numbers will cost 9p per minute. Examples of VOIP calls
    >include some catalogue companies and some credit card companies.
    >Usually they begin with 0844 but please note that not all 0844 numbers
    >are VOIP numbers.
    >Calls to mobiles
    >Calls to mobiles will change.
    >>>>

    >I was unaware of a connection between 0844 and VOIP

    Is it possible they actually mean some 056 numbers?

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Nov 13, 2009

  3. Stanley

    Woody Guest

    "Stanley" <> wrote in message
    > This very strange sounding info of a price increase was
    > included with
    > my monthly bill from VM.
    >
    > I hope this isn't the beginning of VM's revenge on VOIP.
    >
    > Does this mean if someone got themselves a Sipgate or Skype-In
    > number,
    > then people calling those numbers from Virgin would get this
    > charge ?
    >
    > <<<
    > Looking for the latest news on your phone service? You've come
    > to the
    > right place. Read on to find out more about the changes
    > happening on
    > 1st December 2009.
    > Calls to VOIP
    > Calling VOIP numbers will cost 9p per minute. Examples of VOIP
    > calls
    > include some catalogue companies and some credit card
    > companies.
    > Usually they begin with 0844 but please note that not all 0844
    > numbers
    > are VOIP numbers.
    > Calls to mobiles
    > Calls to mobiles will change.
    >>>>

    > I was unaware of a connection between 0844 and VOIP

    They are going to charge you 9p/min for calls that are presented
    to the recipient on a VoIP line. They are not going to charge you
    for calls that you originate using a VoIP service. If you think
    about it how would they know?

    --
    Woody

    harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

    Woody, Nov 13, 2009
  4. Stanley

    Stanley Guest

    On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 21:03:33 -0000, "Graham." <> wrote:

    >>> This very strange sounding info of a price increase was
    >>> included with
    >>> my monthly bill from VM.
    >>>
    >>> I hope this isn't the beginning of VM's revenge on VOIP.
    >>>
    >>> Does this mean if someone got themselves a Sipgate or Skype-In number,
    >>> then people calling those numbers from Virgin would get this charge ?
    >>>
    >>> <<<
    >>> Looking for the latest news on your phone service? You've come to the
    >>> right place. Read on to find out more about the changes happening on
    >>> 1st December 2009.
    >>> Calls to VOIP
    >>> Calling VOIP numbers will cost 9p per minute. Examples of VOIP calls
    >>> include some catalogue companies and some credit card companies.
    >>> Usually they begin with 0844 but please note that not all 0844 numbers
    >>> are VOIP numbers.
    >>> Calls to mobiles
    >>> Calls to mobiles will change.
    >>>>>>

    >>> I was unaware of a connection between 0844 and VOIP
    >>>

    >> They are going to charge you 9p/min for calls that are presented to the recipient on a VoIP line. They are not going to charge you
    >> for calls that you originate using a VoIP service. If you think about it how would they know?
    >>

    >But isn't that how the OP understands the situation too?
    >
    >How would they know at any given time if any given number
    >is VoIP or not?
    >Perhaps we should all contact VM with a random number and
    >ask if it carries their VoIP surcharge?

    So, if a friend gets a number from Skype-in or Sipgate of
    01234-567890, if I call it, will I be chaged 9p per min ???
    Do they know this is not a geographic landline ?

    IMHO, it's a plot to stop people calling 0844 dial-thru numbers that
    were ~ 1p per minute.

    Personally, when I want to use the landline, I use an 0800 dial thru
    number.

    Stanley

    Stanley, Nov 14, 2009
  5. Stanley

    Graham Guest

    >>> They are going to charge you 9p/min for calls that are presented to the recipient on a VoIP line. They are not going to charge
    >>> you
    >>> for calls that you originate using a VoIP service. If you think about it how would they know?
    >>>

    >>But isn't that how the OP understands the situation too?
    >>
    >>How would they know at any given time if any given number
    >>is VoIP or not?
    >>Perhaps we should all contact VM with a random number and
    >>ask if it carries their VoIP surcharge?

    > So, if a friend gets a number from Skype-in or Sipgate of
    > 01234-567890, if I call it, will I be chaged 9p per min ???
    > Do they know this is not a geographic landline ?
    >
    > IMHO, it's a plot to stop people calling 0844 dial-thru numbers that
    > were ~ 1p per minute.

    "Then you should say what you mean," the March Hare went on...

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Nov 17, 2009