virginmedia ftp

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by gm4jnw@gmail.com, Jun 10, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Just joined virginmedia and trying to ftp to website.
    Have used various ftp clients throughout the years but this is the
    first time I have had problems.

    Followed the login details suggested by virginmedia and I get an
    immediate disconnect, although it does resolve the ip address.

    I emailed virginmedia and they didnt seem to grasp the problem they
    just tell me to use explorer as the ftp client as its easier and
    suggest

    1. Connect to the Internet as normal.
    2. Open Internet Explorer.
    3. In the address bar type in the following:
    ftp://your.username:
    Replace your.username with your username and yourpassword with your
    password.
    4. Click 'Go' and you should be logged into your webspace.

    I knew that anyway but tried it and also tried
    ftp://ftp.upload.virgin.net/ in the hope that I would be prompted for
    username and password but got the same immediate disconnection.

    I thought it was maybe vista and tried my old computer with the same
    problem.

    Any ideas??

    Its not a problem with username or password as I can login to my
    account with virginmedia.

    , Jun 10, 2007

  2. Gazwad Guest

    <>, the pitiful-riffraff and large
    huckle who likes unrestrained ivory rinses with flamingos, and whose
    partner is a cathouse cutie with a big twisted taco, wrote in
    <>:
    > Just joined virginmedia and trying to ftp to website.
    > Have used various ftp clients throughout the years but this is the
    > first time I have had problems.
    >
    > Followed the login details suggested by virginmedia and I get an
    > immediate disconnect, although it does resolve the ip address.
    >
    > I emailed virginmedia and they didnt seem to grasp the problem they
    > just tell me to use explorer as the ftp client as its easier and
    > suggest
    >
    > 1. Connect to the Internet as normal.
    > 2. Open Internet Explorer.
    > 3. In the address bar type in the following:
    > ftp://your.username:
    > Replace your.username with your username and yourpassword with your
    > password.
    > 4. Click 'Go' and you should be logged into your webspace.
    >
    > I knew that anyway but tried it and also tried
    > ftp://ftp.upload.virgin.net/ in the hope that I would be prompted for
    > username and password but got the same immediate disconnection.
    >
    > I thought it was maybe vista and tried my old computer with the same
    > problem.
    >
    > Any ideas??
    >
    > Its not a problem with username or password as I can login to my
    > account with virginmedia.

    http://www.virgin.net/helpme/freespace/ftp/2.html

    Pay attention

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Gazwad, Jun 10, 2007

  3. Guest

    Seen the help pages and get as far as the resolving ip then get this:

    STATUS:> [09/06/2007 18:32:09] Getting listing ""...
    STATUS:> [09/06/2007 18:32:09] Resolving host name
    upload.virgin.net...
    STATUS:> [09/06/2007 18:32:09] Host name upload.virgin.net resolved:
    ip = 194.168.54.120.
    STATUS:> [09/06/2007 18:32:09] Connecting to FTP server...
    upload.virgin.net:21 (ip = 194.168.54.120)...
    STATUS:> [09/06/2007 18:32:09] Socket connected. Waiting for welcome
    message...
    ERROR:> [09/06/2007 18:32:09] Control connection closed.

    With my little knowlege it looks like the username and password is not
    being accepted and yes Iam logged on with virginmedia.

    Still confused and paying attention!!!

    , Jun 10, 2007
  4. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > Seen the help pages

    The help pages are a screenshot about using WSFTP_LE.

    > With my little knowlege it looks like the username and password is not
    > being accepted and yes Iam logged on with virginmedia.
    >
    > Still confused and paying attention!!!

    You sed...

    wrote:
    > I knew that anyway but tried it and also tried
    > ftp://ftp.upload.virgin.net/ in the hope that I would be prompted for
    > username and password but got the same immediate disconnection.

    If you are going to use IE and prompts, you should addressline:

    ftp://upload.virgin.net

    not ftp.upload for the 4th/3rd level domainnames.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 10, 2007
  5. Guest

    On 10 Jun, 14:40, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Seen the help pages

    > The help pages are a screenshot about using WSFTP_LE.
    >
    > > With my little knowlege it looks like the username and password is not
    > > being accepted and yes Iam logged on with virginmedia.

    > > Still confused and paying attention!!!

    > You sed...
    >
    > wrote:
    > > I knew that anyway but tried it and also tried
    > >ftp://ftp.upload.virgin.net/ in the hope that I would be prompted for
    > > username and password but got the same immediate disconnection.

    > If you are going to use IE and prompts, you should addressline:
    >
    > ftp://upload.virgin.net
    >
    > not ftp.upload for the 4th/3rd level domainnames.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Sorry Mike just my typo yes used ftp://upload.virgin.net without
    success and ftp://your.username: -
    replacing of course with my username and password.
    Stil I get: ERROR:> [09/06/2007 18:32:09] Control connection
    closed.
    - am starting to wonder if the webspace has been created!!
    Have emailed support at virgin but they dont seem to reply with the
    correct info, have asked them to test the webspace, maybe it will have
    to go to second level support.

    , Jun 10, 2007
  6. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    > Sorry Mike just my typo yes used ftp://upload.virgin.net without
    > success and ftp://your.username: -
    > replacing of course with my username and password.
    > Stil I get: ERROR:> [09/06/2007 18:32:09] Control connection
    > closed.
    > - am starting to wonder if the webspace has been created!!

    ? What happens if you check
    http://freespace.virgin.net/your.username/index.htm ?

    What happens if you try the user without the pass:

    ftp://

    .... and then enter the pass at the prompt?

    > Have emailed support at virgin but they dont seem to reply with the
    > correct info, have asked them to test the webspace, maybe it will have
    > to go to second level support.

    A lot of providertechs don't have that level of support in their
    cookbook instructions.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 10, 2007
  7. Guest

    On 10 Jun, 15:17, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Sorry Mike just my typo yes usedftp://upload.virgin.netwithout
    > > success and ftp://your.username: -
    > > replacing of course with my username and password.
    > > Stil I get: ERROR:> [09/06/2007 18:32:09] Control connection
    > > closed.
    > > - am starting to wonder if the webspace has been created!!

    > ? What happens if you checkhttp://freespace.virgin.net/your.username/index.htm ?
    >
    > What happens if you try the user without the pass:
    >
    > ftp://
    >
    > ... and then enter the pass at the prompt?
    >
    > > Have emailed support at virgin but they dont seem to reply with the
    > > correct info, have asked them to test the webspace, maybe it will have
    > > to go to second level support.

    > A lot of providertechs don't have that level of support in their
    > cookbook instructions.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Dont get prompts Mike just get an instant disconnection but using an
    ftp client if I miss out the password I get a popup box and if I put
    in my password I get the disconnection - its a mistery - thinking
    about the username and password they should be taken from a table that
    is used for both login to account and webspace shouldnt they??
    If there are 2 tables and one is set wrong then maybe thats the
    problem.

    If the techy had of tried it am sure he would have discovered this,
    guess I'll have to wait for the reply next week.

    , Jun 10, 2007
  8. Guest

    On 10 Jun, 15:17, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Sorry Mike just my typo yes usedftp://upload.virgin.netwithout
    > > success and ftp://your.username: -
    > > replacing of course with my username and password.
    > > Stil I get: ERROR:> [09/06/2007 18:32:09] Control connection
    > > closed.
    > > - am starting to wonder if the webspace has been created!!

    > ? What happens if you checkhttp://freespace.virgin.net/your.username/index.htm ?
    >
    > What happens if you try the user without the pass:
    >
    > ftp://
    >
    > ... and then enter the pass at the prompt?
    >
    > > Have emailed support at virgin but they dont seem to reply with the
    > > correct info, have asked them to test the webspace, maybe it will have
    > > to go to second level support.

    > A lot of providertechs don't have that level of support in their
    > cookbook instructions.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Mike if I check http://freespace.virgin.net/les.norton/index.htm or
    without the index.html I get
    Sorry.We couldn't find the page you were looking for.

    , Jun 10, 2007
  9. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    Separate topic from your ftp problem.

    Your headers show you are using googlegroups instead of an nntp
    newsserver; and that your OS/browser is XP IE7. Why don't you
    configure IE's OE as a newsreader and use virgin's newsserver^1
    news.virgin.net instead of fumbling with GG's interface?

    ^1 http://www.virgin.net/helpme/newsgroups/general/2.html What are the
    Server Settings?

    >> ? What happens if you
    >> check http://freespace.virgin.net/your.username/index.htm ?

    What was the answer to my question there?

    > Dont get prompts Mike just get an instant disconnection but using an
    > ftp client if I miss out the password I get a popup box and if I put
    > in my password I get the disconnection - its a mistery - thinking
    > about the username and password they should be taken from a table that
    > is used for both login to account and webspace shouldnt they??

    You would think.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 10, 2007
  10. les Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    > Separate topic from your ftp problem.
    >
    > Your headers show you are using googlegroups instead of an nntp
    > newsserver; and that your OS/browser is XP IE7. Why don't you
    > configure IE's OE as a newsreader and use virgin's newsserver^1
    > news.virgin.net instead of fumbling with GG's interface?
    >
    > Mike Easter

    Lazyness I guess Mike - I had an isp without newsgroups before - now
    subscribed to news.virgin.net :)

    les, Jun 10, 2007
  11. Mike Easter Guest

    les wrote:
    > "Mike Easter
    >> wrote:

    >> Why don't you
    >> configure IE's OE as a newsreader and use virgin's newsserver^1
    >> news.virgin.net instead of fumbling with GG's interface?

    > Lazyness I guess Mike - I had an isp without newsgroups before - now
    > subscribed to news.virgin.net :)

    Righton.

    Hopefully or Perhaps Blinky the selachimorph will 'credit' me for
    converting a GGer to an nntp newser.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 10, 2007
  12. why? Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 03:07:37 -0700, gm4jnw@ wrote:

    >Just joined virginmedia and trying to ftp to website.

    It's been bad enough getting transferred over without actually choosing
    to join :)

    Don't know if new details are different from exNTL/exBY, you have asked
    in the VM newsgroups and not just in 24HSHD which has nothing to do with
    VM.

    >Have used various ftp clients throughout the years but this is the
    >first time I have had problems.

    You do know IE isn't a FTP client, it's a waste of time.

    >Followed the login details suggested by virginmedia and I get an
    >immediate disconnect, although it does resolve the ip address.

    It works fine, except when you see posts in the VM/exNTL or exBY
    newsgroups saying there is an issue.

    >I emailed virginmedia and they didnt seem to grasp the problem they

    Are you surprised.

    >just tell me to use explorer as the ftp client as its easier and
    >suggest
    >
    >1. Connect to the Internet as normal.
    >2. Open Internet Explorer.
    >3. In the address bar type in the following:
    >ftp://your.username:

    Wasn't that format blocked by a MS IE security update.

    So what's the URL of your VM webspace, the VM FTP customer zone help
    page uses blueyonder as it's ftp example.

    >Replace your.username with your username and yourpassword with your
    >password.
    >4. Click 'Go' and you should be logged into your webspace.
    >
    >I knew that anyway but tried it and also tried
    >ftp://ftp.upload.virgin.net/ in the hope that I would be prompted for

    Then read the online instructions.

    ERROR:> [10/06/2007 16:18:59] Can't resolve "ftp.upload.virgin.net".
    Network connectivity was detected. Check the spelling of the server name
    or contact the server administrator.

    That's from exBY side of things.

    >username and password but got the same immediate disconnection.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Jun 10, 2007
  13. why? Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 07:29:24 -0700, wrote:

    >On 10 Jun, 15:17, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >> > Sorry Mike just my typo yes usedftp://upload.virgin.netwithout
    >> > success and ftp://your.username: -
    >> > replacing of course with my username and password.
    >> > Stil I get: ERROR:> [09/06/2007 18:32:09] Control connection
    >> > closed.
    >> > - am starting to wonder if the webspace has been created!!

    >> ? What happens if you checkhttp://freespace.virgin.net/your.username/index.htm ?
    >>
    >> What happens if you try the user without the pass:
    >>
    >> ftp://
    >>
    >> ... and then enter the pass at the prompt?
    >>
    >> > Have emailed support at virgin but they dont seem to reply with the
    >> > correct info, have asked them to test the webspace, maybe it will have
    >> > to go to second level support.

    >> A lot of providertechs don't have that level of support in their
    >> cookbook instructions.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Easter

    >Dont get prompts Mike just get an instant disconnection but using an
    >ftp client if I miss out the password I get a popup box and if I put

    Using anonymous instead of account info.

    STATUS:> [10/06/2007 16:24:50] Getting listing ""...
    STATUS:> [10/06/2007 16:24:50] Resolving host name
    upload.virgin.net...
    STATUS:> [10/06/2007 16:24:50] Host name upload.virgin.net resolved:
    ip = 194.168.54.120.
    STATUS:> [10/06/2007 16:24:50] Connecting to FTP server...
    upload.virgin.net:21 (ip = 194.168.54.120)...
    STATUS:> [10/06/2007 16:24:50] Socket connected. Waiting for welcome
    message...
    [10/06/2007 16:24:50] 220-

    220-#####################################################################
    220-
    220- Welcome to upload.virgin.net
    220-

    220-#####################################################################
    220-
    220-
    220 upload1-glfd FTP server ready.
    STATUS:> [10/06/2007 16:24:50] Connected. Authenticating...
    COMMAND:> [10/06/2007 16:24:50] USER anonymous
    [10/06/2007 16:24:50] 331 Guest login ok, send your complete
    e-mail address as password.
    COMMAND:> [10/06/2007 16:24:50] PASS *****
    [10/06/2007 16:24:50] 530 Login incorrect.

    The user name with BY is either the 1st email account or the 1st alias
    of the 1st email account.

    >in my password I get the disconnection - its a mistery - thinking
    >about the username and password they should be taken from a table that
    >is used for both login to account and webspace shouldnt they??
    >If there are 2 tables and one is set wrong then maybe thats the
    >problem.

    If it's still called PWP try
    http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/getContent.jspx?page=h_services_selfcare_advanced_pwp#answer3

    why?, Jun 10, 2007
  14. Ponder Guest

    Ponder, Jun 10, 2007
  15. les Guest

    "Ponder" <> wrote in message
    > Hiya .
    >
    > In <news:> you wrote:
    >
    >> Seen the help pages and get as far as the resolving ip then get this:

    > Try upload.ntlworld.com

    Thats interesting I get:
    [17:51:09] Connecting to 62.253.162.29 Port: 21
    [17:51:09] Connected to upload.ntlworld.com.
    [17:51:09] 220-
    [17:51:09]
    220-##################################################################
    [17:51:09] 220-
    [17:51:09] 220- Welcome to upload.ntlworld.com
    [17:51:09] 220-
    [17:51:09]
    220-##################################################################
    [17:51:09] 220-
    [17:51:09] 220 upload.ntlworld.com FTP server ready
    [17:51:09] USER les.norton
    [17:51:10] 331 Password required for les.norton.
    [17:51:10] PASS (hidden)
    [17:51:10] Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...
    [17:51:10] Server closed connection

    But now get on Virginmedia:
    [17:53:01] SmartFTP v2.5.1006.4
    [17:53:01] Resolving host name "upload.virgin.net"
    [17:53:01] Connecting to 194.168.54.120 Port: 21
    [17:53:01] Connected to upload.virgin.net.
    [17:53:01] 220-
    [17:53:02]
    220-#####################################################################
    [17:53:02] 220-
    [17:53:02] 220- Welcome to upload.virgin.net
    [17:53:02] 220-
    [17:53:02]
    220-#####################################################################
    [17:53:02] 220-
    [17:53:02] 220-
    [17:53:02] 220 upload1-glfd FTP server ready.
    [17:53:02] USER les.norton
    [17:53:02] 331 Password required for les.norton.
    [17:53:02] PASS (hidden)
    [17:53:03] 530 Login incorrect.

    Getting a little further though Ive changed nowt - strange

    les, Jun 10, 2007
  16. Ponder Guest

    Hiya les.

    In <news:12Wai.26172$> you wrote:

    >> Try upload.ntlworld.com

    > Thats interesting I get:

    [Snipped]

    Try asking in virginmedia.feedback, there's a support presence there,
    they might be able to put you on the right path.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Jun 10, 2007
  17. Hoser Guest

    "" <> wrote in news:1181470057.146580.56630
    @m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

    > I emailed virginmedia and they didnt seem to grasp the problem they
    > just tell me to use explorer as the ftp client as its easier and
    > suggest
    >
    > 1. Connect to the Internet as normal.
    > 2. Open Internet Explorer.
    > 3. In the address bar type in the following:

    Try this: ftp:upload.virgin.net:21

    Then you can try the other sugestions for the correct logon.

    Hoser, Jun 11, 2007
  18. les Guest

    Im not going mad then - there is a problem!!!

    Dear Les,
    Thanks for your email.
    Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused.

    Please be informed that there is a fault with the freespace. We have already
    escalated this issue to our Fault Management team. They are investigating
    this issue and will contact you once the issue is resolved.
    If you need any further assistance please contact us again, or visit the
    following address:

    http://www.virgin.net/helpme/
    Many Thanks
    Partha