Virginmedia - Broadband

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ian Southall, Mar 23, 2008.

  1. Ian Southall

    Ian Southall Guest

    Ok, so i just phoned up virginmedia about my broadband, this is an on-going
    thing now my broadband would just randomly, disconnect and go off for ages
    then come back go on for a while then it would disconnect again, sometimes
    it would be solid, sometimes it would just go and not come back on for
    hours.
    Funny thing is.. when our net goes off i check with my next door neighbour
    and her internet is fine its on working great all the time, so whats wrong
    with mine?

    Well i tried to phone virgin, but telewest have a block on the phone for
    premium rate numbers, so phoned customer support and they unblocked it said
    take 24 hrs so i decided phone from mobile, now.. what they said is they
    won't send a engineer out unless the net goes off, then i have to connect my
    cable straight to pc without a router and see if the problem is still there.

    So what virgin are basically saying its my router.. ok well i definatly know
    its not its NETGEAR WPN824 V1 im using the firmware just before the latest
    as the latest one contains port forwarding bugs, so basically im using the
    one before latest forgot what version it is but basically my router is up to
    date with any major fixes.

    Well the net only goes off if the cable light on my WEBSTAR Scientific
    Atlanta cable modem goes off so its not my router, if my router was
    disconnecting then vista would say i have NO LAN and NO NET but vista only
    detects i have NO NET and LAN works perfect.

    What do i need to do now then? i recon all i can trace it down to is theres
    a problem in the green box with our connection.

    The reason i think this is when net goes off i cant get any on demand
    service which requires cable like tv choice, catch up on demands, movies or
    music on demand, and the tv starts flickering on and off.

    So what do i need to do? tell the engineer this or something?

    I REALLY am begging for help its been going on for years now for just us! we
    had 3 different cable modems changed and they didnt really do anything.

    Any help appreciated,
    Thanks

    Ian Southall, Mar 23, 2008

  2. Ian Southall

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:28:29 GMT, "Ian Southall"
    <> wrote:

    >Ok, so i just phoned up virginmedia about my broadband, this is an on-going
    >thing now my broadband would just randomly, disconnect and go off for ages
    >then come back go on for a while then it would disconnect again, sometimes
    >it would be solid, sometimes it would just go and not come back on for
    >hours.

    Then would be the time to call and troubleshoot is when it's not
    working.

    >Funny thing is.. when our net goes off i check with my next door neighbour
    >and her internet is fine its on working great all the time,

    Nothing 'funny' about that'.

    >Well i tried to phone virgin, but telewest have a block on the phone for
    >premium rate numbers, so phoned customer support and they unblocked it said
    >take 24 hrs so i decided phone from mobile, now.. what they said is they
    >won't send a engineer out unless the net goes off, then i have to connect my
    >cable straight to pc without a router and see if the problem is still there.

    That's pretty common for troubleshooting.

    >So what virgin are basically saying its my router..

    No, they're not. They want to verify it's NOT the router.

    >ok well i definatly know its not its NETGEAR WPN824 V1 im using the firmware just before the latest
    >as the latest one contains port forwarding bugs, so basically im using the
    >one before latest forgot what version it is but basically my router is up to
    >date with any major fixes.

    That doesn't mean the problem isn't with the router. A router, being a
    piece of hardware, can fail.

    >Well the net only goes off if the cable light on my WEBSTAR Scientific
    >Atlanta cable modem goes off so its not my router, if my router was
    >disconnecting then vista would say i have NO LAN and NO NET but vista only
    >detects i have NO NET and LAN works perfect.
    >
    >What do i need to do now then? i recon all i can trace it down to is theres
    >a problem in the green box with our connection.
    >
    >The reason i think this is when net goes off i cant get any on demand
    >service which requires cable like tv choice, catch up on demands, movies or
    >music on demand, and the tv starts flickering on and off.
    >
    >So what do i need to do? tell the engineer this or something?
    >
    >I REALLY am begging for help its been going on for years now for just us! we
    >had 3 different cable modems changed and they didnt really do anything.

    When the problem is happening, call. It's useless to call to
    troubleshoot when everything is working fine.

    Evan Platt, Mar 23, 2008

  3. Ian Southall

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Ian Southall.

    In <hOtFj.65686$> you wrote:

    > So what do i need to do? tell the engineer this or something?

    Try posting in virginmedia.support.broadband.cable, there are techs in
    there who will help with your problems.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Mar 23, 2008
  4. Ian Southall

    Mike Easter Guest

    Ian Southall wrote:
    > Ok, so i just phoned up virginmedia about my broadband, this is an
    > on-going thing now my broadband would just randomly, disconnect and
    > go off for ages then come back go on for a while then it would
    > disconnect again, sometimes it would be solid, sometimes it would
    > just go and not come back on for hours.

    This par doesn't describe whether the broadband is cable or dsl and it
    doesn't say whether there is a router or not and it doesn't say whether
    you are talking about wired or wireless. It also doesn't describe any
    troubleshooting and what the modem or router's display page sez.

    > off, then i have to connect my cable straight to pc without a router
    > and see if the problem is still there.

    That is a standard troubleshooting practice. The first step is to see
    if the cable modem is operational (getting an IP lease) and one way to
    do that is to physically take the router out of the network.

    > So what virgin are basically saying its my router.. ok well i
    > definatly know its not its NETGEAR WPN824 V1 im using the firmware
    > just before the latest as the latest one contains port forwarding
    > bugs, so basically im using the one before latest forgot what version
    > it is but basically my router is up to date with any major fixes.

    The wpn824 is a wired/wireless router and you never said whether you
    were having wired or wireless problems yet. And, the/some router
    firmware is notorious for going out and needing to be reflashed.

    > Well the net only goes off if the cable light on my WEBSTAR Scientific
    > Atlanta cable modem goes off so its not my router, if my router was

    Scientific Atlanta calls the following models 'webstar' DPX 100, DPX
    120, DPX 2100, & EPX 2100.

    > disconnecting then vista would say i have NO LAN and NO NET but vista
    > only detects i have NO NET and LAN works perfect.

    If by 'Vista' you mean the operating system by MS, that is not your best
    troubleshooting tool.

    If your cable lights are not lighting properly -- here's a webstar user
    manual
    http://www.scientificatlanta.com/Products/consumers/userguidepdfs/webstar_userguides/749610.pdf

    .... which shows lights Power, PC, Data, and Cable and the .pdf page 8
    describes what it means when the lights are green and wht it means when
    the cable light is blinking with different blink modes --

    The first thing to do is to power down the modem which you can do by
    unplugging the AC powersource.

    > What do i need to do now then? i recon all i can trace it down to is
    > theres a problem in the green box with our connection.

    If you cannot get satisfactory lights on your modem and you are needing
    to call for home service repair, then the customer service tech/person
    is going to require that your connectivity be direct between one
    computer and the cable modem, with no intervening router.

    > The reason i think this is when net goes off i cant get any on demand
    > service which requires cable like tv choice, catch up on demands,
    > movies or music on demand, and the tv starts flickering on and off.

    That is another piece of information which will spark the cable
    provider's troubleshooting interest.

    > So what do i need to do? tell the engineer this or something?

    You need to cooperate with the trouble report process. If there is a
    service interruption, you need to powercycle the cable modem, you need
    to check your TV status when there is internet problem. If you are
    going to call the tech/CS during the time of outage, you must be
    connected directly between the computer and the modem, because the
    cableco does not want to troubleshoot any part of a LAN, including the
    router. There must be no router, no lan when talking to tech support.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Mar 23, 2008
  5. Ian Southall

    Flyer Guest

    "Ian Southall" <> wrote in message
    > Ok, so i just phoned up virginmedia about my broadband, this is an
    > on-going thing now my broadband would just randomly, disconnect and go off
    > for ages then come back go on for a while then it would disconnect again,
    > sometimes it would be solid, sometimes it would just go and not come back
    > on for hours.
    > Funny thing is.. when our net goes off i check with my next door neighbour
    > and her internet is fine its on working great all the time, so whats wrong
    > with mine?

    Do as Evan & Ponder suggest, take the router out of the equation, VM Support
    will insist on it anyway as part of the testing procedure.

    P.

    Flyer, Mar 23, 2008
  6. Ian Southall

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:28:29 GMT, Ian Southall wrote:

    Have you heard of the newsgroup(s)

    virginmedia.support.broadband.cable
    virginmedia.users.self-help.networking

    maybe even level / lack of service reporting via

    virginmedia.feedback

    >Ok, so i just phoned up virginmedia about my broadband, this is an on-going
    >thing now my broadband would just randomly, disconnect and go off for ages
    >then come back go on for a while then it would disconnect again, sometimes
    >it would be solid, sometimes it would just go and not come back on for
    >hours.

    virginmedia.support.broadband.cable
    see existing posts and post the results of the usually requested tests.

    >Funny thing is.. when our net goes off i check with my next door neighbour
    >and her internet is fine its on working great all the time, so whats wrong
    >with mine?

    So you share the same connection / cables or not?

    >Well i tried to phone virgin, but telewest have a block on the phone for
    >premium rate numbers, so phoned customer support and they unblocked it said
    >take 24 hrs so i decided phone from mobile, now.. what they said is they
    >won't send a engineer out unless the net goes off, then i have to connect my
    >cable straight to pc without a router and see if the problem is still there.

    True.

    >So what virgin are basically saying its my router.. ok well i definatly know

    No, routers aren't supported.

    >its not its NETGEAR WPN824 V1 im using the firmware just before the latest
    >as the latest one contains port forwarding bugs, so basically im using the
    >one before latest forgot what version it is but basically my router is up to
    >date with any major fixes.

    Doesn't matter, check

    virginmedia.support.broadband.cable
    virginmedia.users.self-help.networking

    see if others report issues with same kit.

    >Well the net only goes off if the cable light on my WEBSTAR Scientific
    >Atlanta cable modem goes off so its not my router, if my router was
    >disconnecting then vista would say i have NO LAN and NO NET but vista only
    >detects i have NO NET and LAN works perfect.
    >
    >What do i need to do now then? i recon all i can trace it down to is theres
    >a problem in the green box with our connection.

    No router, do the tests. Save the modem status signal pages.

    >The reason i think this is when net goes off i cant get any on demand
    >service which requires cable like tv choice, catch up on demands, movies or
    >music on demand, and the tv starts flickering on and off.

    Street side cabling , amplifiers in street perhaps.

    >So what do i need to do? tell the engineer this or something?

    You would think if reporting a problem, giving as much diagnostic info
    is a good thing.

    >I REALLY am begging for help its been going on for years now for just us! we
    >had 3 different cable modems changed and they didnt really do anything.

    Me

    why?, Mar 23, 2008