    I am running WIN 98 on an old laptop bit we have three other laptops using
    wi fi on the same router running WI xp, what is going on here how do I
    double check the broadband speed so I can take on Virgin.

    brenda, Feb 18, 2008

  2. brenda

    Rôgêr Guest

    brenda wrote:
    > I am paying Virgin for 20 mb broadband, the system is much slower and has
    > been for months.
    > I have run a broadband test which shows the broadband uploads and downloads
    > at les than a 512 dial up modem.
    > I am running WIN 98 on an old laptop bit we have three other laptops using
    > wi fi on the same router running WI xp, what is going on here how do I
    > double check the broadband speed so I can take on Virgin.

    This is one place:
    http://www.giganews.com/performance.html
    But there are many more. Just do a Google search for "Speed test"

    Rôgêr, Feb 18, 2008

  3. brenda

    Gordon Guest

    "brenda" <> wrote in message
    >I am paying Virgin for 20 mb broadband, the system is much slower and has
    > been for months.
    > I have run a broadband test which shows the broadband uploads and
    > downloads
    > at les than a 512 dial up modem.
    > I am running WIN 98 on an old laptop bit we have three other laptops using
    > wi fi on the same router running WI xp, what is going on here how do I
    > double check the broadband speed so I can take on Virgin.

    You will fail. Your contract says "UP TO" 20 MB.......

    Gordon, Feb 18, 2008
  4. brenda

    sandy58 Guest

    On Feb 18, 11:41 am, "Gordon" <> wrote:
    > "brenda" <> wrote in message

    > >I am paying Virgin for 20 mb broadband, the system is much slower and has
    > > been for months.
    > > I have run a broadband test which shows the broadband uploads and
    > > downloads
    > > at les than a 512 dial up modem.
    > > I am running WIN 98 on an old laptop bit we have three other laptops using
    > > wi fi on the same router running WI xp, what is going on here how do I
    > > double check the broadband speed so I can take on Virgin.

    > You will fail. Your contract says "UP TO" 20 MB.......

    Yep. But in the news lately there was a blurb about "an enquiry" into
    this. ???? :)

    sandy58, Feb 18, 2008
  5. brenda

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    sandy58 wrote:
    > On Feb 18, 11:41 am, "Gordon" <> wrote:
    >> "brenda" <> wrote in message

    >>> I am paying Virgin for 20 mb broadband, the system is much slower and has
    >>> been for months.
    >>> I have run a broadband test which shows the broadband uploads and
    >>> downloads
    >>> at les than a 512 dial up modem.
    >>> I am running WIN 98 on an old laptop bit we have three other laptops using
    >>> wi fi on the same router running WI xp, what is going on here how do I
    >>> double check the broadband speed so I can take on Virgin.

    >> You will fail. Your contract says "UP TO" 20 MB.......

    > Yep. But in the news lately there was a blurb about "an enquiry" into
    > this. ???? :)

    What a load of bollocks that all is. Its perfectly clear what "up to"
    means. Will the same consumers who are "misled" by this plain language
    move on to motor manufacturers who fit speedometers with indications far
    higher than their vehicle is capable of reaching let alone maintaining?

    Desk Rabbit, Feb 18, 2008
  6. brenda

    Jim S Guest

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:41:20 GMT, brenda wrote:

    > I am paying Virgin for 20 mb broadband, the system is much slower and has
    > been for months.
    > I have run a broadband test which shows the broadband uploads and downloads
    > at les than a 512 dial up modem.
    > I am running WIN 98 on an old laptop bit we have three other laptops using
    > wi fi on the same router running WI xp, what is going on here how do I
    > double check the broadband speed so I can take on Virgin.

    Have you tried dialling 151 and explaining your problem?
    You might be pleasantly surprised.
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Feb 18, 2008
  7. brenda

    David Guest

    "Jim S" <> wrote in message news:4todr2fz733f.dlg@ID-
    > Have you tried dialling 151 and explaining your problem?
    > You might be pleasantly surprised.
    > --

    Is that BT ?
    They will not want to know, unless a fault effecting your line for normal
    voice calls.
    For Broadband they work to instructions from your ISP, who are BTs customer
    not you.
    Yes a surprise if BT help with Broadband

    --
    Regards,
    David

    Please reply to News Group

    David, Feb 18, 2008
  8. brenda

    Evan Platt Guest

    wrote:

    >I am paying Virgin for 20 mb broadband, the system is much slower and has
    >been for months.
    >I have run a broadband test which shows the broadband uploads and downloads
    >at les than a 512 dial up modem.

    What is a '512 dial up modem'?

    Evan Platt, Feb 18, 2008
  9. <> wrote from -win.ntli.net:

    > I am paying Virgin for 20 mb broadband, the system
    > is much slower and has been for months.
    > I have run a broadband test which shows the broadband
    > uploads and downloads at les than a 512 dial up modem.
    > I am running WIN 98 on an old laptop bit we have three
    > other laptops using wi fi on the same router running
    > WI xp, what is going on here how do I double check
    > the broadband speed so I can take on Virgin.

    Virginmedia's tech support should be able to assist you
    with configuring your PC -> [router] -> modem connection
    and the settings so that you're going at least as fast as
    any other 525 dial up modem can go. Using the 20 mb / 512
    formula, you should get at least a 39/40ths or 97.5% refund
    on all your bills paid for whilst you were running too slow.

    Save a copy of this message for your records.

    Thank you for visiting 24HSH!

    --

    My name is Bucky Breeder and I approve this message!

    Iceland up in the Howze? How ya doin' Iceland!!!?
    Happy National Bun Day, Iceland!!!

    (Wow! "History". Kinda teers ya up, doesn't it?)

    Bucky Breeder, Feb 18, 2008
  10. brenda

    Jim S Guest

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 13:57:08 GMT, David wrote:

    > "Jim S" <> wrote in message news:4todr2fz733f.dlg@ID-
    >> Have you tried dialling 151 and explaining your problem?
    >> You might be pleasantly surprised.
    >> --

    > Is that BT ?
    > They will not want to know, unless a fault effecting your line for normal
    > voice calls.
    > For Broadband they work to instructions from your ISP, who are BTs customer
    > not you.
    > Yes a surprise if BT help with Broadband

    NO!
    We are talking cable here.
    151 on virginmedia phone (I just assumed the OP would have this)
    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK

    Jim S, Feb 18, 2008
  11. brenda

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:41:20 GMT, brenda wrote:

    >I am paying Virgin for 20 mb broadband, the system is much slower and has
    >been for months.

    For me it's almost always 15Mbps+ and on good days 18Mbps.

    >I have run a broadband test which shows the broadband uploads and downloads

    Which one? One of those that jumps off across 1 ocean or another and at
    varying times of day?

    Do try,
    http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/

    http://www.myspeed.com/pe/lite.html
    It has an option for US and a UK destination test server.

    and
    Speedtester
    http://www.giganews.com/performance.html

    >at les than a 512 dial up modem.

    Assuming you mean just on the Win98 box, as you mention 4 altogether.

    If you do (it's Win98 only) then it's not a VM issue if the others are
    okay, you aren't clear on that point.

    >I am running WIN 98 on an old laptop bit we have three other laptops using
    >wi fi on the same router running WI xp, what is going on here how do I

    There are / were also various theories about the NT class OS's (NT
    3.x/4.x/2000/XP/Vista being optimised for LANs and others not.) If your
    Win98 box was on dialup before it may need some tweaks.

    Saying that try transferring files locally and see if it's slow as well.

    >double check the broadband speed so I can take on Virgin.

    Read the endless and ongoing posts in the VM support newsgroups about
    this issue. You will see the recommended tests. Do any test without a
    router and not over wireless.

    Check the modem config page and check you have the right config file.
    Also post the output of the signal levels when contacting VM.

    Do the tests the support newsgroup asks for.

    No router.

    Close all apps.

    From a cmd prompt , netstat -ano
    (or -an instead of -ano if a problem is reported with the options)

    The 4 ftp downloads, see the VM groups for details.

    Multiple traceroutes to www.bbc.co.uk

    You can also post the output of
    ipconfig/all
    from a cmd prompt.

    Me

    why?, Feb 18, 2008
  12. brenda

    FieryFeenix Guest

    On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:41:20 GMT, brenda wrote:

    > I am paying Virgin for 20 mb broadband, the system is much slower and has
    > been for months.
    > I have run a broadband test which shows the broadband uploads and downloads
    > at les than a 512 dial up modem.
    > I am running WIN 98 on an old laptop bit we have three other laptops using
    > wi fi on the same router running WI xp, what is going on here how do I
    > double check the broadband speed so I can take on Virgin.

    Seeing as you're used to using newsgroups, given
    virginmedia.support.broadband.cable a try?
    --
    Caz x

    FieryFeenix, Feb 18, 2008
  13. brenda

    why? Guest

    On 18 Feb 2008 14:59:41 GMT, Bucky Breeder wrote:

    ><> wrote from -win.ntli.net:
    >>
    >> I am paying Virgin for 20 mb broadband, the system
    >> is much slower and has been for months.
    >> I have run a broadband test which shows the broadband

    <snip>

    >Virginmedia's tech support should be able to assist you
    >with configuring your PC -> [router] -> modem connection

    They won't. First thing they tell everyone is to remove the router.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Feb 18, 2008
  14. why? wrote:

    > On 18 Feb 2008 14:59:41 GMT, Bucky Breeder wrote:
    >
    >> from -win.ntli.net:
    >>>
    >>> I am paying Virgin for 20 mb broadband, the system
    >>> is much slower and has been for months.
    >>> I have run a broadband test which shows the broadband

    > <snip>
    >
    >>Virginmedia's tech support should be able to assist you
    >>with configuring your PC -> [router] -> modem connection

    > They won't. First thing they tell everyone is to remove the router.
    >
    > <snip> > > Me >

    OK... Good start, and what's your speed after that?

    --

    My name is Bucky Breeder and I approve this message!

    New York, New York, USA, the greatest city in the whole wide world:

    http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSN1419876020080214

    http://nymag.com/fashion/08/spring/lindsay-as-marilyn/

    Bucky Breeder, Feb 18, 2008
  15. brenda

    why? Guest

    On 18 Feb 2008 18:53:57 GMT, Bucky Breeder wrote:

    >why? wrote:
    >>
    >> On 18 Feb 2008 14:59:41 GMT, Bucky Breeder wrote:
    >>
    >>> from -win.ntli.net:

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>>Virginmedia's tech support should be able to assist you
    >>>with configuring your PC -> [router] -> modem connection

    >> They won't. First thing they tell everyone is to remove the router.
    >>
    >> <snip> > > Me >

    >OK... Good start, and what's your speed after that?

    Mine goes from 6.7Mbps to 18Mbps. The old router I have is only
    10Mbps/Half duplex :) on the WAN port.

    Me

    why?, Feb 19, 2008