Virgin Free TV!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kenny, Apr 12, 2007.

  1. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Kenny, Apr 12, 2007

  2. Kenny

    meerkat Guest

    meerkat, Apr 12, 2007

  3. Kenny

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-04-12, Kenny <> wrote:
    > For non cabled areas.
    > http://www.virgin.net/allyours/digitaltv/whatis/
    > What they do is get you to sign up for a broadband package, charge you £40
    > and send you a Freeview box.

    .... and set up a DSL broadband connection and provide 'support'. They
    make no bones about the TV part of the offer being a Freeview box. They
    also give you the option of a "free wireless kit" (presumably meaning a
    WiFi modem/router and possibly a USB or PC Card 'dongle') instead of the
    Freeview box.

    > You can buy one yourself for £19.99!
    > http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5320754.htm

    I wonder how well that Freeview box works compared with the one from
    Virgin? Even Argos offer Freeview boxes going up in price to close to
    £200; I'm sure they can't 'all be the same'. You'll need one for each TV
    in the house anyway, once the analogue signals are stopped.

    > What a con.

    No, just an innovative sales ploy for prospective customers to consider.

    (I have no connection with Freeview, Argos, or any TV or internet company)

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Apr 12, 2007
  4. Kenny

    olfart Guest

    olfart, Apr 12, 2007
  5. Kenny

    ellis_jay Guest

    Kenny wrote:
    > For non cabled areas.
    > http://www.virgin.net/allyours/digitaltv/whatis/
    > What they do is get you to sign up for a broadband package, charge
    > you £40 and send you a Freeview box.
    > You can buy one yourself for £19.99!
    > http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5320754.htm
    > What a con.

    Virginmobile was given a "buy" from some stock analysts last week because of
    their inroads to that market. If I find the link I will post it.

    --
    When people are engaged in something they are not proud of, they do
    not welcome witnesses. In fact, they come to believe the witness causes

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, Apr 12, 2007
  6. Kenny

    ellis_jay Guest

    Kenny wrote:
    > For non cabled areas.
    > http://www.virgin.net/allyours/digitaltv/whatis/
    > What they do is get you to sign up for a broadband package, charge
    > you £40 and send you a Freeview box.
    > You can buy one yourself for £19.99!
    > http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5320754.htm
    > What a con.

    The argos site has one, but it is not "Top-Up" compliant. "Top-Up" is
    aVirgin Mobile thing whereby you can buy more time for your phone-and now is
    used somehow for the box. "Top Up" can be done on-line or by any phone.
    "Top Up" can be done with credit card, debit card, or with a pre-paid card
    purchased at places like Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Radio Shack, gasoline stations
    (petrol for your Brits) like Conoco, 7-11's, truck stops and so on.

    I use a Virgin Mobile phone as it is pretty cheap and my signal is always
    great-even off the Florida Keys and even good while driving Alligator Alley.
    My son uses Sprint. My signal is better than his. My ringtone list is
    much, much larger than his. His phone has a better lighted screen. His
    picture quality is better, but I would not trade his phone or trade
    companies with him.

    ellis_jay, Apr 12, 2007
  7. Kenny

    Flyer Guest

    "ellis_jay" <> wrote in message
    > Kenny wrote:
    >> For non cabled areas.
    >> http://www.virgin.net/allyours/digitaltv/whatis/
    >> What they do is get you to sign up for a broadband package, charge
    >> you £40 and send you a Freeview box.
    >> You can buy one yourself for £19.99!
    >> http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5320754.htm
    >> What a con.

    > The argos site has one, but it is not "Top-Up" compliant. "Top-Up" is
    > aVirgin Mobile thing whereby you can buy more time for your phone-and now
    > is
    > used somehow for the box. "Top Up" can be done on-line or by any phone.
    > "Top Up" can be done with credit card, debit card, or with a pre-paid card
    > purchased at places like Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Radio Shack, gasoline
    > stations
    > (petrol for your Brits) like Conoco, 7-11's, truck stops and so on.

    think you're getting a tad confused, a Freeview box that isn't TopUp
    compliant means it doesn't have a slot for a TopUp TV card that gives you
    access to other TV channels. TopUp TV has nothing whatsoever to do with
    VirginMedia, to the best of my knowledge.

    P.
    Flyer, Apr 12, 2007
  8. Kenny

    ellis_jay Guest

    ellis_jay wrote:
    > Kenny wrote:
    >> For non cabled areas.
    >> http://www.virgin.net/allyours/digitaltv/whatis/
    >> What they do is get you to sign up for a broadband package, charge
    >> you £40 and send you a Freeview box.
    >> You can buy one yourself for £19.99!
    >> http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5320754.htm
    >> What a con.

    > Virginmobile was given a "buy" from some stock analysts last week
    > because of their inroads to that market. If I find the link I will
    > post it.

    http://www.marketwatch.com/tools/quotes/ratings.asp?symb=VMED&sid=2603006

    http://seekingalpha.com/article/31826

    looks like a buy to me...

    http://www.marketwatch.com/tools/qu...&lf=1&lf2=4&lf3=0&type=2&size=1&optstyle=1013

    ellis_jay, Apr 12, 2007
  9. Kenny

    fred-bloggs Guest

    fred-bloggs, Apr 12, 2007
  10. Kenny

    Frosty Guest

    On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:46:57 +0100 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "Kenny"
    <>, intended to write something intelligible, but
    instead wrote :

    <snip>

    It's about time!
    I'm SO tired of all those virgins on TV!
    Frosty, Apr 13, 2007
  11. Kenny

    Frosty Guest

    On 12 Apr 2007 18:54:52 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk "fred-bloggs"
    <>, intended to write something
    intelligible, but instead wrote :

    >If you want the box with no strings...

    I virgin box ALWAYS has strings.
    Frosty, Apr 13, 2007
  12. Kenny

    ellis_jay Guest

    Flyer wrote:
    > "ellis_jay" <> wrote in message
    >> Kenny wrote:
    >>> For non cabled areas.
    >>> http://www.virgin.net/allyours/digitaltv/whatis/
    >>> What they do is get you to sign up for a broadband package, charge
    >>> you £40 and send you a Freeview box.
    >>> You can buy one yourself for £19.99!
    >>> http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5320754.htm
    >>> What a con.

    >> The argos site has one, but it is not "Top-Up" compliant. "Top-Up"
    >> is aVirgin Mobile thing whereby you can buy more time for your
    >> phone-and now is
    >> used somehow for the box. "Top Up" can be done on-line or by any
    >> phone. "Top Up" can be done with credit card, debit card, or with a
    >> pre-paid card purchased at places like Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Radio
    >> Shack, gasoline stations
    >> (petrol for your Brits) like Conoco, 7-11's, truck stops and so on.

    > think you're getting a tad confused, a Freeview box that isn't TopUp
    > compliant means it doesn't have a slot for a TopUp TV card that gives
    > you access to other TV channels. TopUp TV has nothing whatsoever to
    > do with VirginMedia, to the best of my knowledge.
    >
    > P.

    Top Up for Virgin Mobile is a method of paying a bill or increasing rights
    to use more minutes on a phone. I know squat about slots on tv's.
    Thanx....I do know slots at Silverstar in M i crooked letter crooked letter
    i crooked letter crooked letter i hump back hump back i.

    ellis_jay, Apr 13, 2007
  13. Kenny

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-04-13, ellis_jay <> wrote:
    > Flyer wrote:
    >> "ellis_jay" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> The argos site has one, but it is not "Top-Up" compliant. "Top-Up"
    >>> is aVirgin Mobile thing whereby you can buy more time for your
    >>> phone-and now is
    >>> used somehow for the box. "Top Up" can be done on-line or by any
    >>> phone. "Top Up" can be done with credit card, debit card, or with a
    >>> pre-paid card purchased at places like Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Radio
    >>> Shack, gasoline stations
    >>> (petrol for your Brits) like Conoco, 7-11's, truck stops and so on.

    >> think you're getting a tad confused, a Freeview box that isn't TopUp
    >> compliant means it doesn't have a slot for a TopUp TV card that gives
    >> you access to other TV channels. TopUp TV has nothing whatsoever to
    >> do with VirginMedia, to the best of my knowledge.
    >>
    >> P.

    > Top Up for Virgin Mobile is a method of paying a bill or increasing rights
    > to use more minutes on a phone. I know squat about slots on tv's.
    > Thanx....I do know slots at Silverstar in M i crooked letter crooked letter
    > i crooked letter crooked letter i hump back hump back i.

    'Freeview' is the British terrestrial broadcast digital TV system; some of
    the Freeview digiboxes and digital TVs on the market have 'slots' to take
    'key-cards' to allow for pay-per-view or pay channels ('Top-up TV' is the
    main operator in that market), or to impose 'parental control' etc.

    'Virgin Media' is a cable TV/broadband service provider (comprising mostly
    what used to be NTL/Telewest) branching out into DSL.

    Britain abounds in Virgin enterprises
    <http://uk.ask.com/web?q=virgin&qsrc=1&o=312&l=dir&dm=ctry>

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Apr 13, 2007
  14. Kenny

    ellis_jay Guest

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2007-04-13, ellis_jay <> wrote:
    >> Flyer wrote:
    >>> "ellis_jay" <> wrote in message

    >>> think you're getting a tad confused, a Freeview box that isn't TopUp
    >>> compliant means it doesn't have a slot for a TopUp TV card that
    >>> gives you access to other TV channels. TopUp TV has nothing
    >>> whatsoever to do with VirginMedia, to the best of my knowledge.
    >>>
    >>> P.

    >> Top Up for Virgin Mobile is a method of paying a bill or increasing
    >> rights to use more minutes on a phone.

    > 'Freeview' is the British terrestrial broadcast digital TV system;
    > some of the Freeview digiboxes and digital TVs on the market have
    > 'slots' to take 'key-cards' to allow for pay-per-view or pay channels
    > ('Top-up TV' is the main operator in that market), or to impose
    > 'parental control' etc.
    >
    > 'Virgin Media' is a cable TV/broadband service provider (comprising
    > mostly what used to be NTL/Telewest) branching out into DSL.
    >
    > Britain abounds in Virgin enterprises
    > http://uk.ask.com/web?q=virgin&qsrc=1&o=312&l=dir&dm=ctry

    Yes. Sir Richard...with the Midas touch. Thanx.

    ellis_jay, Apr 14, 2007