  1. My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His modem
    offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
    wireless connection through out his flat?
    Geoff Pearson, Aug 25, 2007

  2. Geoff Pearson

    Gordon Guest

    Gordon, Aug 25, 2007

  3. Geoff Pearson

    Mike Easter Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:
    > My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His
    > modem offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to
    > give him wireless connection through out his flat?

    Your question is ambiguous, and it causes me to think that he has both a
    desktop and a laptop, but you didn't mention a desktop, only the laptop.

    It is generally easier to find a wireless router with built-in wireless
    accesspoint and 4 ethernet LAN ports than just an AP accesspoint.

    In the router circumstance, he would have the cable modem ethernet wired
    to the router to which a desktop could connect ethernet wired and the
    laptop could connect wirelessly. If the LT also has a wired ethernet
    port, it could also/alternatively connect to the router by wired
    ethernet for purpose of troubleshooting when the wireless connectivity
    has problems 'thru'out his flat'.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 25, 2007
  4. "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    >> My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His
    >> modem offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give
    >> him wireless connection through out his flat?
    >>

    > A Wireless Access Point.
    > http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/search/?qfind=Wireless access point&x=13&y=17

    this looks like what we need. Thanks.
    Geoff Pearson, Aug 25, 2007
  5. "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >> My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His
    >> modem offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to
    >> give him wireless connection through out his flat?

    > Your question is ambiguous, and it causes me to think that he has both a
    > desktop and a laptop, but you didn't mention a desktop, only the laptop.
    >
    > It is generally easier to find a wireless router with built-in wireless
    > accesspoint and 4 ethernet LAN ports than just an AP accesspoint.
    >
    > In the router circumstance, he would have the cable modem ethernet wired
    > to the router to which a desktop could connect ethernet wired and the
    > laptop could connect wirelessly. If the LT also has a wired ethernet
    > port, it could also/alternatively connect to the router by wired
    > ethernet for purpose of troubleshooting when the wireless connectivity
    > has problems 'thru'out his flat'.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    I'm not sure where I was ambiguous. The Virgin guy connected a box he
    called a modem to the cable - with Ethernet and USB A sockets on the back.
    We know a desktop can be connected to the Ethernet - but wondered if there
    were a different "modem" or a box to connect to the Ethernet socket to give
    wireless connection for a laptop etc. It seems the kit we require is called
    an access point..
    Geoff Pearson, Aug 25, 2007
  6. Geoff Pearson

    Mike Easter Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"
    >> Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >>> My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His
    >>> modem offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to
    >>> give him wireless connection through out his flat?

    >> Your question is ambiguous, and it causes me to think that he has
    >> both a desktop and a laptop, but you didn't mention a desktop, only
    >> the laptop.
    >>
    >> It is generally easier to find a wireless router with built-in
    >> wireless accesspoint and 4 ethernet LAN ports than just an AP
    >> accesspoint.
    >>
    >> In the router circumstance, he would have the cable modem ethernet
    >> wired to the router to which a desktop could connect ethernet wired
    >> and the laptop could connect wirelessly. If the LT also has a wired
    >> ethernet port, it could also/alternatively connect to the router by
    >> wired ethernet for purpose of troubleshooting when the wireless
    >> connectivity has problems 'thru'out his flat'.

    > I'm not sure where I was ambiguous.

    You never said whether there was a desktop *AND* a LT. You still
    haven't, for some reason, so the ambiguity persists. If you would
    contextualize your replies instead of bottom posting we could have a
    better discussion because you would be putting your words closer to the
    ones you are answering. Bottom posting is untrimmed and
    non-contextualized. It suffers from some of the same communication
    problems as untrimmed non-contextualized top posting.

    > The Virgin guy connected a box he
    > called a modem to the cable - with Ethernet and USB A sockets on the
    > back.

    That doesn't tell me how many computers need to connect to the internet
    via the cable box.

    > We know a desktop can be connected to the Ethernet - but
    > wondered if there were a different "modem" or a box to connect to the
    > Ethernet socket to give wireless connection for a laptop etc. It
    > seems the kit we require is called an access point..

    You are not understanding correctly. You cannot connect separate
    computers to the USB and the ethernet ports or separate computers via an
    access point.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 25, 2007
  7. Geoff Pearson

    Mike Easter Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:

    > We know a desktop can be connected to the Ethernet - but
    > wondered if there were a different "modem" or a box to connect to the
    > Ethernet socket to give wireless connection for a laptop etc. It
    > seems the kit we require is called an access point..

    I have some experience in shopping for access points and in shopping for
    wireless routers with built-in access points.

    My experience has been that when buying things on sale at my local very
    large electronics/computer store, that it is cheaper to buy a wireless
    router with built in access point which can do NAT translations for
    multiple computers at the same time including troubleshooting wireless
    problems than it is to buy a device which is not a router/NAT translator
    but only an AP.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 25, 2007
  8. Geoff Pearson

    ded Guest

    ded, Aug 25, 2007
  9. Geoff Pearson

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 19:40:29 +0100, Geoff Pearson wrote:

    >My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His modem
    >offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
    >wireless connection through out his flat?

    You may not be surprised to see the VM tutorial mentioned earlier or
    asking in the VM newsgroups / exNTL or exBY depending where you are
    coming from.

    virginmedia.users.self-help.networking
    virginmedia.users.self-help
    blueyonder.users.self-help.networking
    blueyonder.users.self-help

    Me
    why?, Aug 25, 2007
  10. Geoff Pearson

    Gazwad Guest

    Gordon <>, the beady-eyed-deadbeat and
    tragicomical one of them who likes depraved conker wonking with corgis,
    and whose partner is a Sidewalk Suzie with an untidy receptacle, wrote
    in <>:
    > "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    >> My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His
    >> modem offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give
    >> him wireless connection through out his flat?
    >>

    > A Wireless Access Point.
    > http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/search/?qfind=Wireless access point&x=13&y=17

    You dumb ****.

    is but a dream within a dream.
    Gazwad, Aug 25, 2007
  11. Geoff Pearson

    Flyer Guest

    > My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His modem
    > offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
    > wireless connection through out his flat?

    If he wants to connect more than one PC at the same time, then he needs a
    Wireless Cable/DSL Router, not an access point.
    To be honest, even with only one pc, he'd be better getting a router rather
    than just an access point.

    P.
    Flyer, Aug 25, 2007
  12. Geoff Pearson

    Gazwad Guest

    Geoff Pearson <>, the dreary-floater and macho
    shandy who likes hurtful ass opening with maggots, and whose partner is
    a flash-woman with a whiskerless rug, wrote in
    <>:
    > My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His modem
    > offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
    > wireless connection through out his flat?

    Ignore those other two stupid cunts.

    You want to buy a CABLE router.
    When you go into currys tell the stupid sales twat that you have "NTL
    Cable".
    Whatever you do make sure that it doesn't say ADSL on the box they try to
    sell you, the little bastards always try to sell you the wrong shit, they're
    trained that way.

    If you want to connect anything else wirelessly then by all means let them
    sell you a bundle which includes a USB Wireless dongle thingy as well as the
    router.

    If you want thing to go smoothly and to remain trouble free then buy Netgear
    although they will almost certainly try to force you to buy Belkin crap.

    When you get the correct box home you simply switch off your modem, plug the
    router into the mains and use the supplied Ethernet cable to connect from
    the WAN port on the router to the modem. Switch the modem and router back on
    and wait a bit then access the router and set it all up. If you take more
    than 10 minutes to get the thing working then you bought the wrong shit.

    is but a dream within a dream.
    Gazwad, Aug 25, 2007
  13. Geoff Pearson

    Alfred Guest

    <> wrote:

    >My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His modem
    >offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
    >wireless connection through out his flat?

    Something like this
    http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=F5D7230
    Alfred, Aug 26, 2007
  14. Geoff Pearson

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 13:12:05 +0100, Alfred wrote:

    >On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 19:40:29 +0100, "Geoff Pearson"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His modem
    >>offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
    >>wireless connection through out his flat?
    >>

    >Something like this
    >http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=F5D7230

    OP could do with that (same as box I have), just the F5D7230uk version
    instead.

    Me
    why?, Aug 26, 2007
  15. Geoff Pearson

    Alfred Guest

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:08:43 GMT, why?

    >On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 13:12:05 +0100, Alfred wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 19:40:29 +0100, "Geoff Pearson"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His modem
    >>>offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
    >>>wireless connection through out his flat?
    >>>

    >>Something like this
    >>http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=F5D7230

    >OP could do with that (same as box I have), just the F5D7230uk version
    >instead.

    Plenty choices around. I haven't kept up with prices for home kit but
    it seems to have got very cheap.
    Alfred, Aug 26, 2007
  16. Geoff Pearson

    Gordon Guest

    "Gazwad" <> wrote in message
    > Gordon <>, the beady-eyed-deadbeat and
    > tragicomical one of them who likes depraved conker wonking with corgis,
    > and whose partner is a Sidewalk Suzie with an untidy receptacle, wrote
    > in <>:
    >> "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    >>> My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His
    >>> modem offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give
    >>> him wireless connection through out his flat?
    >>>

    >> A Wireless Access Point.
    >> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/search/?qfind=Wireless access point&x=13&y=17
    >>

    > You dumb ****.

    The OP already HAS a MODEM and is only wanting to connect ONE machine
    (AFAICS) so why would he need a ROUTER you STUPID ARSEHOLE?
    Gordon, Aug 27, 2007
  17. Geoff Pearson

    Gordon Guest

    "Gazwad" <> wrote in message
    > Geoff Pearson <>, the dreary-floater and macho
    > shandy who likes hurtful ass opening with maggots, and whose partner is
    > a flash-woman with a whiskerless rug, wrote in
    > <>:
    >> My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His
    >> modem
    >> offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
    >> wireless connection through out his flat?
    >>

    > Ignore those other two stupid cunts.
    >
    > You want to buy a CABLE router.
    > When you go into currys tell the stupid sales twat that you have "NTL
    > Cable".
    > Whatever you do make sure that it doesn't say ADSL on the box they try to
    > sell you, the little bastards always try to sell you the wrong shit,
    > they're
    > trained that way.
    >
    > If you want to connect anything else wirelessly then by all means let them
    > sell you a bundle which includes a USB Wireless dongle thingy as well as
    > the
    > router.
    >
    > If you want thing to go smoothly and to remain trouble free then buy
    > Netgear
    > although they will almost certainly try to force you to buy Belkin crap.
    >
    > When you get the correct box home you simply switch off your modem, plug
    > the
    > router into the mains and use the supplied Ethernet cable to connect from
    > the WAN port on the router to the modem. Switch the modem and router back
    > on
    > and wait a bit then access the router and set it all up.

    Ignore this stupid motherfucker - if the OP uses a WAP he doesn't NEED to
    "set it up" - it just WORKS. Stupid dumb PRICK!
    Gordon, Aug 27, 2007
  18. Geoff Pearson

    Top Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > "Gazwad" <> wrote in message
    >> Geoff Pearson <>, the dreary-floater and macho
    >> shandy who likes hurtful ass opening with maggots, and whose partner is
    >> a flash-woman with a whiskerless rug, wrote in
    >> <>:
    >>> My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His
    >>> modem
    >>> offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
    >>> wireless connection through out his flat?
    >>>

    >> Ignore those other two stupid cunts.
    >>
    >> You want to buy a CABLE router.
    >> When you go into currys tell the stupid sales twat that you have "NTL
    >> Cable".
    >> Whatever you do make sure that it doesn't say ADSL on the box they try to
    >> sell you, the little bastards always try to sell you the wrong shit,
    >> they're
    >> trained that way.
    >>
    >> If you want to connect anything else wirelessly then by all means let them
    >> sell you a bundle which includes a USB Wireless dongle thingy as well as
    >> the
    >> router.
    >>
    >> If you want thing to go smoothly and to remain trouble free then buy
    >> Netgear
    >> although they will almost certainly try to force you to buy Belkin crap.
    >>
    >> When you get the correct box home you simply switch off your modem, plug
    >> the
    >> router into the mains and use the supplied Ethernet cable to connect from
    >> the WAN port on the router to the modem. Switch the modem and router back
    >> on
    >> and wait a bit then access the router and set it all up.

    > Ignore this stupid motherfucker - if the OP uses a WAP he doesn't NEED to
    > "set it up" - it just WORKS. Stupid dumb PRICK!

    Can you operate a keyboard and be so stupid? You've proven that though
    haven't you.

    Top
    Top, Aug 27, 2007
  19. Geoff Pearson

    Julie Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > "Gazwad" <> wrote in message
    >> Gordon <>, the beady-eyed-deadbeat and
    >> tragicomical one of them who likes depraved conker wonking with
    >> corgis, and whose partner is a Sidewalk Suzie with an untidy
    >> receptacle, wrote in <>:
    >>> "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> A Wireless Access Point.
    >>> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/search/?qfind=Wireless access point&x=13&y=17
    >>>

    >> You dumb ****.
    >>

    > The OP already HAS a MODEM and is only wanting to connect ONE machine
    > (AFAICS) so _why would he need a ROUTER_ you STUPID ARSEHOLE?

    You really don't know, do you. Sad.

    Julie, Aug 27, 2007
  20. Geoff Pearson

    nobody > Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > "Gazwad" <> wrote in message
    >> Geoff Pearson <>, the dreary-floater and macho
    >> shandy who likes hurtful ass opening with maggots, and whose partner is
    >> a flash-woman with a whiskerless rug, wrote in
    >> <>:
    >>> My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His
    >>> modem
    >>> offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
    >>> wireless connection through out his flat?
    >>>

    >> Ignore those other two stupid cunts.
    >>
    >> You want to buy a CABLE router.
    >> When you go into currys tell the stupid sales twat that you have "NTL
    >> Cable".
    >> Whatever you do make sure that it doesn't say ADSL on the box they try to
    >> sell you, the little bastards always try to sell you the wrong shit,
    >> they're
    >> trained that way.
    >>
    >> If you want to connect anything else wirelessly then by all means let them
    >> sell you a bundle which includes a USB Wireless dongle thingy as well as
    >> the
    >> router.
    >>
    >> If you want thing to go smoothly and to remain trouble free then buy
    >> Netgear
    >> although they will almost certainly try to force you to buy Belkin crap.
    >>
    >> When you get the correct box home you simply switch off your modem, plug
    >> the
    >> router into the mains and use the supplied Ethernet cable to connect from
    >> the WAN port on the router to the modem. Switch the modem and router back
    >> on
    >> and wait a bit then access the router and set it all up.

    > Ignore this stupid motherfucker - if the OP uses a WAP he doesn't NEED to
    > "set it up" - it just WORKS. Stupid dumb PRICK!

    You've pointed your finger at the *wrong* Stupid dumb PRICK, twiddles.

    Yes, it just may work out of the box.. but there will be no wireless
    security, and probably local DNS rather than DNS from the ISP/provider
    nobody >, Aug 27, 2007