    I-Phone I can use in WiFi mode free or very cheap and still use the cellular
    route is there is no WiFi available?

    pete

    Peter Turtill, Dec 2, 2010

  2. Peter Turtill

    alexd Guest

    Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, Peter Turtill
    chose the tried and tested strategy of:

    > I have BTFon which allows me WiFi connections when travelling. I can make
    > VOIP calls through my laptop but it is all so involved. Is there a mobile
    > or I-Phone I can use in WiFi mode free or very cheap

    There are many, many phones that have Wifi and the ability to install a
    softphone. Ones I have used are Nokia E61 and E63.

    > and still use the cellular route is there is no WiFi available?

    Don't bet on it. Mobile data doesn't seem to lend itself to VoIP due to the
    high latency and jitter. I don't know if this is feature of UMTS or
    operators in the UK oversubscribing their networks.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    18:50:35 up 7 days, 10 min, 6 users, load average: 0.00, 0.12, 0.65

    alexd, Dec 2, 2010

  3. alexd <> wrote:
    > Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, Peter Turtill
    > chose the tried and tested strategy of:
    >
    > > and still use the cellular route is there is no WiFi available?

    > Don't bet on it. Mobile data doesn't seem to lend itself to VoIP due to the
    > high latency and jitter. I don't know if this is feature of UMTS or
    > operators in the UK oversubscribing their networks.

    If you have 3G IME it's just about OK. If you're on EDGE or GPRS I'd give
    up. Note that some networks might deliberately inject jitter to block VOIP,
    so it might vary from network to network.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Dec 2, 2010
  4. Theo Markettos <> wrote:
    > If you have 3G IME it's just about OK. If you're on EDGE or GPRS I'd give
    > up. Note that some networks might deliberately inject jitter to block VOIP,
    > so it might vary from network to network.

    Another thing to add, if you meant using the cellular network for voice
    calls in the backup situation, rather than calls over VOIP. Quite a few
    softphones integrate with the phone's dialler: SIPDroid, for example, pops
    up a menu when you dial in the normal Android dialler asking if you want to
    make a GSM phone call or a SIP call.

    Another trick is to use GSM data to initiate a call by getting a website to
    ring you back. A lot of Betamax operators will do that, or you can set up a
    ringback system yourself without a data connection (ring number, claims to
    be engaged, hang up, system calls you back, then you enter the destination
    number). These use cheap VOIP routes to your mobile (eg Voipgain
    2.5p+VAT/min) rather than mobile network charges.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Dec 2, 2010
  5. Peter Turtill

    alexd Guest

    Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, R. Mark
    Clayton chose the tried and tested strategy of:

    > It is actually built in on many Nokia phones, including my N79, and works
    > well over wi-fi.

    > It also "accidentally" uses 3G if it is available. Voice quality is poor
    > (jumpy mostly) and in theory this is a breach of my SP's T&C.

    My E61 registered fine on 3G, but the E63 took some persuading. Even once
    registered over 3G, any attempt to call it results in a 486 Busy Here. Wifi
    is fine.

    I don't know if this is bug on the E63, a feature on the E63 or interference
    from Vodafone. I suppose I should tether my laptop to it and test with a
    more fully-featured SIP client.

    >> Don't bet on it. Mobile data doesn't seem to lend itself to VoIP due to
    >> the
    >> high latency and jitter. I don't know if this is feature of UMTS or
    >> operators in the UK oversubscribing their networks.

    > It will be a "feature" of trying to do voice telephony over any

    ^^^
    > statistical network.

    Not in my experience. SIP client on my phone over 3G was unusably bad. Over
    wifi+broadband it's fine; I use an IP handset at work all day long, which
    connects to the PBX over a broadband connection [or two if you count my end
    as well]. My Sipgate line over broadband is my phone line at home too.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    22:25:06 up 8 days, 3:45, 6 users, load average: 0.04, 0.03, 0.00

    alexd, Dec 3, 2010
  6. R. Mark Clayton wrote:

    > Slightly inaccurate. Your broadband connection has large and probably
    > uncontested bandwidth uplink and massive (compared with 64kbps) bandwidth
    > downlink.

    Broadband tends only to be uncontended over the local loop. Even then,
    if you run a large file download, that will contend.

    David Woolley, Dec 5, 2010
  7. Peter Turtill

    alexd Guest

    Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, R. Mark
    Clayton chose the tried and tested strategy of:

    > OTOH 3G is normally heavily contended almost all the time.

    Right. Which is what I was asking upthread; is the latency a feature of
    UMTS, or the way it's implemented.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    12:04:03 up 9 days, 17:24, 6 users, load average: 0.07, 0.02, 0.02

    alexd, Dec 5, 2010