    Any ideas?

    Thanks
    Netty

    Netty, Dec 17, 2007

  2. Netty

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:fk7186$14h$ "Netty" <> wrote:

    > I would like to get most of my vinyl onto CDs. I understand that I
    > would have to hook my stereo to my PC but i have no idea how or what
    > is the best program to use.

    If your stereo amp has a "line out" or "preamp out" use that and connect
    it to the "line in" of your PC's sound card. Otherwise, you might be
    able to use the "headphone out" so long as you're careful with the
    volume levels.

    As to software, you'll have to get suggestions from other folks. I use
    Nero's "Wave Editor", but that's just because I have it; I wouldn't have
    gone out and bought it for that purpose.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Dec 17, 2007

  3. Netty

    nobody > Guest

    Bert Hyman wrote:
    > In news:fk7186$14h$ "Netty" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to get most of my vinyl onto CDs. I understand that I
    >> would have to hook my stereo to my PC but i have no idea how or what
    >> is the best program to use.

    > If your stereo amp has a "line out" or "preamp out" use that and connect
    > it to the "line in" of your PC's sound card. Otherwise, you might be
    > able to use the "headphone out" so long as you're careful with the
    > volume levels.
    >
    > As to software, you'll have to get suggestions from other folks. I use
    > Nero's "Wave Editor", but that's just because I have it; I wouldn't have
    > gone out and bought it for that purpose.

    From Bert's post.. avoid using the "preamp out" jacks as the level is
    controlled by the volume control, same as the "headphone out" jack.

    Those will work, but finding a volume level that works properly for an
    input to your sound card's "line in" jack can be tricky. You will
    probably have to experiment a while to avoid distortion and/or noise.

    If the level is too high ("hot"), you get distortion.
    Too low ("down"), you get noise.

    Try Blaze Audio for software (and hardware if needed). I haven't used
    their stuff but know people who have and are very happy with it. They do
    bundles quite often.

    http://www.blazeaudio.com/products/recordtocd.html

    nobody >, Dec 18, 2007
  4. Netty

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-12-17, Netty <> wrote:
    > I would like to get most of my vinyl onto CDs. I understand that I would
    > have to hook my stereo to my PC but i have no idea how or what is the best
    > program to use.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Netty

    I've seen lots of adverts in the leaflets 'stuffed' into 'Radio Times' etc
    over the past year or so, for turntables designed for just this job, using
    a USB connection, and probably coming with their own Windows software.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Dec 18, 2007
  5. Netty

    Ish Guest

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 23:37:39 +0000, Netty wrote:

    > I would like to get most of my vinyl onto CDs. I understand that I would
    > have to hook my stereo to my PC but i have no idea how or what is the best
    > program to use.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Netty

    Audacity is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds.
    It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other
    operating systems.

    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

    Ish, Dec 18, 2007
  6. Netty

    PeeCee Guest

    "Netty" <> wrote in message news:fk7186$14h$...
    >I would like to get most of my vinyl onto CDs. I understand that I would
    >have to hook my stereo to my PC but i have no idea how or what is the best
    >program to use.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Netty

    Netty

    You want a cord that has a 3.5mm stereo plug one end and (usually) two RCA
    audio plugs the other.

    Plug the RCA's into your Stereo's Line out sockets Red is usually right and
    white or black Left
    Plug the 3.5mm end into the blue 'Line In' socket of your PC's sound card,
    usually 'round the back'
    'Line' level is a defacto standard so you should not have any worrries about
    to loud or to quiet.

    Download and install Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ it is
    completely free. Take the 1.2.6 version for stability.
    Set it to stereo mode (Edit, Preferences, Channels)
    Start the music on your stereo
    Click the Record button on Audacity
    You should see the music waveform showing up in Audacity as the music is
    recorded.
    When music stops click stop on Audacity. (either per track or per side)
    Then File Export as Wave to save the music to your hard drive, make sure you
    type in a suitable name.
    When all tracks have been saved to your hard drive open your burning program
    and use the 'make a music CD'option
    The files to burn are the files you saved from Audacity.

    Note the assumption is your PC is running fairly normally and is reasonably
    modern (<5/6 years old)
    Lack of sound or distorted recording is often due to misconfiguration of the
    'Sounds and Audio Devices' in Control Panel.
    To save wasting CDR's while you leard the ropes use a CDRW and erase it
    before each burning session.

    As you get to grips with the techniques involved you may like to explore the
    finer points of Vinyl to CD conversion:
    Silencing disk noise between tracks.
    Cutting out clicks.
    Normalising
    Making your own compilations etc
    All of which can be done with Audacity.

    Just keep in mind a CD can hold 74 minutes of music or slightly more if you
    use a 700MB CDR.
    Many older 'LP's' can be tweaked to get two LP's onto one CD by minimising
    inter track silence and trimming out unpopular tracks.

    On the other hand if you wish to play the CD's in an MP3 capable player:
    Export your recorded music from Audacity as MP3's making sure your PC has
    the Lame MP3 encoded loaded.
    Instructions here
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&i=lame-mp3
    Your should be able to get up to 10 times the music onto a CD using 128bit
    MP3's

    Best Luck
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Dec 18, 2007
  7. Netty

    dadiOH Guest

    Netty wrote:
    > I would like to get most of my vinyl onto CDs. I understand that I
    > would have to hook my stereo to my PC but i have no idea how or
    > what is the best program to use.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Netty

    All you need to know, see sig.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Dec 18, 2007
  8. Netty

    Susan Bugher Guest

    dadiOH wrote:
    > Netty wrote:
    >
    >>I would like to get most of my vinyl onto CDs. I understand that I
    >>would have to hook my stereo to my PC but i have no idea how or
    >>what is the best program to use.

    > All you need to know, see sig.

    Tis true. Highly recommended.

    http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
    http://mysite.verizon.net/xico/dadiOH-light.htm
    <q>
    So what is "dadiOH's dandies" anyway?

    Just a "help" file...with information about how to record vinyl and
    cassettes to your computer...how to turn them into MP3s...how to make
    them into audio CDs to play on any CD player or into "MP3" CDs that will
    play on any computer or hardware device capable of decoding them.

    It gives you all the basic information you need and it includes links to
    websites that will give you more advanced information. It also includes
    links to numerous programs to help you do these things. There are a
    number of links to non-music programs as well.
    </q>

    Recording from vinyl is a time consuming operation -> create wave files
    and archive them so you don't have to do that step more than once.
    (Converting from wave to other formats is a relatively quick operation.)

    Susan

    Susan Bugher, Dec 18, 2007
  9. Netty

    willshak Guest

    on 12/17/2007 6:37 PM Netty said the following:
    > I would like to get most of my vinyl onto CDs. I understand that I
    > would have to hook my stereo to my PC but i have no idea how or what
    > is the best program to use.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Netty

    I just got a catalog from Brookstone in the mail last week with the very
    item you may need. $150.
    It is a stereo player with a USB output to convert LP to MP3 and load to
    your computer or CDs..
    I was contemplating getting one for myself. Here it is on their site.
    http://www.brookstone.com/store/thumbnail.asp?wid=11&cid=1101&sid=110108
    On that same page for the same price is a cassette converter.

    --

    Bill
    In Hamptonburgh, NY

    willshak, Dec 18, 2007
  10. Netty

    Netty Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    > "Netty" <> wrote in message news:fk7186$14h$...
    >>I would like to get most of my vinyl onto CDs. I understand that I would
    >>have to hook my stereo to my PC but i have no idea how or what is the best
    >>program to use.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Netty

    > Netty
    >
    > You want a cord that has a 3.5mm stereo plug one end and (usually) two RCA
    > audio plugs the other.
    >
    > Plug the RCA's into your Stereo's Line out sockets Red is usually right
    > and white or black Left
    > Plug the 3.5mm end into the blue 'Line In' socket of your PC's sound card,
    > usually 'round the back'
    > 'Line' level is a defacto standard so you should not have any worrries
    > about to loud or to quiet.
    >
    > Download and install Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ it is
    > completely free. Take the 1.2.6 version for stability.
    > Set it to stereo mode (Edit, Preferences, Channels)
    > Start the music on your stereo
    > Click the Record button on Audacity
    > You should see the music waveform showing up in Audacity as the music is
    > recorded.
    > When music stops click stop on Audacity. (either per track or per side)
    > Then File Export as Wave to save the music to your hard drive, make sure
    > you type in a suitable name.
    > When all tracks have been saved to your hard drive open your burning
    > program and use the 'make a music CD'option
    > The files to burn are the files you saved from Audacity.
    >
    > Note the assumption is your PC is running fairly normally and is
    > reasonably modern (<5/6 years old)
    > Lack of sound or distorted recording is often due to misconfiguration of
    > the 'Sounds and Audio Devices' in Control Panel.
    > To save wasting CDR's while you leard the ropes use a CDRW and erase it
    > before each burning session.
    >
    > As you get to grips with the techniques involved you may like to explore
    > the finer points of Vinyl to CD conversion:
    > Silencing disk noise between tracks.
    > Cutting out clicks.
    > Normalising
    > Making your own compilations etc
    > All of which can be done with Audacity.
    >
    > Just keep in mind a CD can hold 74 minutes of music or slightly more if
    > you use a 700MB CDR.
    > Many older 'LP's' can be tweaked to get two LP's onto one CD by minimising
    > inter track silence and trimming out unpopular tracks.
    >
    > On the other hand if you wish to play the CD's in an MP3 capable player:
    > Export your recorded music from Audacity as MP3's making sure your PC has
    > the Lame MP3 encoded loaded.
    > Instructions here
    > http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&i=lame-mp3
    > Your should be able to get up to 10 times the music onto a CD using 128bit
    > MP3's
    >

    > Best Luck
    > Paul.

    Thanks Paul, I'll give it a go once I've got the right cable.

    netty

    Netty, Dec 19, 2007