    I wish to preserve some old L.P. albums. Everything works fine but can only
    record up to 60 seconds on windows sound recorder. Anyone know of free
    program to record whole album? Plain language answers if possible. TIA.
    Freddy, Nov 20, 2004

  2. Freddy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Freddy" <> wrote in message
    news:yrOnd.6853$...
    |I wish to preserve some old L.P. albums. Everything works fine but can only
    | record up to 60 seconds on windows sound recorder. Anyone know of free
    | program to record whole album? Plain language answers if possible. TIA.

    Sure - I use MusicMatch. You can set it up to record from the line in. And
    there are hundreds more - search Google for "audio recorder". Any program
    that can record from your computer's line in or mixer can do what you want.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 20, 2004

  3. Freddy

    Freddy Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "Freddy" <> wrote in message
    > |I wish to preserve some old L.P. albums. Everything works fine but can
    > only
    > | record up to 60 seconds on windows sound recorder. Anyone know of free
    > | program to record whole album? Plain language answers if possible. TIA.
    > |
    > Sure - I use MusicMatch. You can set it up to record from the line in. And
    > there are hundreds more - search Google for "audio recorder". Any program
    > that can record from your computer's line in or mixer can do what you
    > want.

    Many thanks - but still looking for a free one.
    Found a few with free trial but limited to 4 mins recording. I only have a
    couple of oldies that I haven't been able to get onCD so don't want to spend
    any dough!

    Freddy, Nov 20, 2004
  4. Freddy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Freddy" <> wrote in message

    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "Freddy" <> wrote in message
    | > |I wish to preserve some old L.P. albums. Everything works fine but can
    | > only
    | > | record up to 60 seconds on windows sound recorder. Anyone know of free
    | > | program to record whole album? Plain language answers if possible.
    TIA.
    | > |
    | > Sure - I use MusicMatch. You can set it up to record from the line in.
    And
    | > there are hundreds more - search Google for "audio recorder". Any
    program
    | > that can record from your computer's line in or mixer can do what you
    | > want.
    |
    | Many thanks - but still looking for a free one.
    | Found a few with free trial but limited to 4 mins recording. I only have a
    | couple of oldies that I haven't been able to get onCD so don't want to
    spend
    | any dough!

    Musicmatch *is* free.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 20, 2004
  5. Freddy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | "Freddy" <> wrote in message
    || "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    || >
    || > "Freddy" <> wrote in message
    || > only
    | TIA.
    || > |
    || > Sure - I use MusicMatch. You can set it up to record from the line in.
    | And
    || > there are hundreds more - search Google for "audio recorder". Any
    | program
    || > that can record from your computer's line in or mixer can do what you
    || > want.
    || Many thanks - but still looking for a free one.
    || Found a few with free trial but limited to 4 mins recording. I only have
    || couple of oldies that I haven't been able to get onCD so don't want to
    | spend
    || any dough!

    | Musicmatch *is* free.

    Okay - just so you don't spend all day looking for it:
    http://www.musicmatch.com/download/...DID=&OEM=MMD&LANG=ENU&SOURCE=getbasic_jbpromo

    or http://makeashorterlink.com/?V59D264D9

    See, they have the "pay for me" version, and a free version.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 20, 2004
  6. Freddy

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > |
    > | "Freddy" <> wrote in message
    > || "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > can
    > free
    > | TIA.
    > || > |
    > in.
    > | And
    > | program
    > || Many thanks - but still looking for a free one.
    > || Found a few with free trial but limited to 4 mins recording. I only
    > have
    > || couple of oldies that I haven't been able to get onCD so don't want to
    > | spend
    > || any dough!

    > | Musicmatch *is* free.
    > |

    > Okay - just so you don't spend all day looking for it:
    > http://www.musicmatch.com/download/...DID=&OEM=MMD&LANG=ENU&SOURCE=getbasic_jbpromo
    >
    > or http://makeashorterlink.com/?V59D264D9
    >
    > See, they have the "pay for me" version, and a free version.

    Yep Will download the freebie. Hadn't seen that one. Most grateful.

    Freddy, Nov 20, 2004
  7. Freddy

    dadiOH Guest

    Freddy wrote:
    > I wish to preserve some old L.P. albums. Everything works fine but
    > can only record up to 60 seconds on windows sound recorder. Anyone
    > know of free program to record whole album? Plain language answers
    > if possible. TIA.

    See my dandies below. BTW, you can do as long as you want on Windows
    Sound recorder, just gotta make a template first by recording,
    starting recording again, etc.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...
    dadiOH, Nov 20, 2004
  8. Freddy

    gronod Guest

    Hi,
    You could try all2wav records from soundcard or streaming audio over
    the net. available from www.download.com only limit is it will only record
    as .wav files, so bear in mind that 1 hour is about 100mb

    grodon

    http://www.musicmatch.com/download/free/?OS=pc&MODE=input&DID=&OEM=MMD&LANG=

    gronod, Nov 20, 2004
  9. Freddy

    Freddy Guest

    "gronod" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > You could try all2wav records from soundcard or streaming audio
    > over
    > the net. available from www.download.com only limit is it will only record
    > as .wav files, so bear in mind that 1 hour is about 100mb
    >

    > grodon
    >

    > "Freddy" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> >

    >> > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >> > but
    >> > can
    >> > of
    >> > free

    > possible.
    >> > || > |
    >> > in.

    > you
    >> > have

    >> > Okay - just so you don't spend all day looking for it:
    >> >

    > http://www.musicmatch.com/download/free/?OS=pc&MODE=input&DID=&OEM=MMD&LANG=
    > ENU&SOURCE=getbasic_jbpromo
    >> >
    >> > or http://makeashorterlink.com/?V59D264D9
    >> >
    >> > See, they have the "pay for me" version, and a free version.

    Stilll can't find any record option other than from CD.

    Freddy, Nov 21, 2004
  10. Freddy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    <<snipped>>
    | Stilll can't find any record option other than from CD.

    Five easy steps:
    1) connect your external audio source to the LINE IN of the sound card;

    2) set your record input to Line In: click Options, Recorder, Source, Line
    In;

    3) start the record window: click View, Recorder

    4) type in the Album, Artist, Title information in the recorder window

    5) press Start Copy button; then Stop Copy button when the song is recorded

    I can't make it any simpler than that!
    Toolman Tim, Nov 21, 2004
  11. Freddy

    > <<snipped>>
    > | Stilll can't find any record option other than from CD.
    > |

    > Five easy steps:
    > 1) connect your external audio source to the LINE IN of the sound card;
    >
    > 2) set your record input to Line In: click Options, Recorder, Source, Line
    > In;

    No trouble to get this far - but then I get window wanting me to upgrade to
    Plus to copy from LP etc.
    No record window. Sorry for being a PIA.

    Freddy, Nov 21, 2004
  12. Freddy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Freddy" <> wrote in message

    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | > <<snipped>>
    | > | Stilll can't find any record option other than from CD.
    | >

    | > Five easy steps:
    |
    | No trouble to get this far - but then I get window wanting me to upgrade
    | Plus to copy from LP etc.
    | No record window. Sorry for being a PIA.

    Oh! Well, that wasn't very nice of them, now was it! The older versions (5,
    6, etc.) did allow line in recording with the "Basic" version. Sorry. There
    are a number of other programs to try, but as you may find, many of them
    have time limits.

    Grodon suggested "all2wav" (go to www.download.com and put that name in the
    search box). It (like Windows Sound Recorder) records in WAV files but you
    can easily convert a WAV file to an MP3. And of course, dadiOH *does* have a
    nice informative package at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico with other
    software ideas and great tips.

    There are tricks to making Windows Sound Recorder go beyond 1 minute. I
    don't remember them, but maybe someone will post that here for you.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 21, 2004
  13. "Freddy" <> wrote in message

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > > <<snipped>>
    > > | Stilll can't find any record option other than from CD.
    > > |

    > > Five easy steps:
    > > 1) connect your external audio source to the LINE IN of the sound card;
    > >
    > > 2) set your record input to Line In: click Options, Recorder, Source,

    Line
    > > In;
    > >

    > No trouble to get this far - but then I get window wanting me to upgrade

    > Plus to copy from LP etc.
    > No record window. Sorry for being a PIA.

    Try this instead. I had good luck with it. It only works for 7 days, I
    believe.

    http://www.polderbits.com/
    PigSkin the Evil Twin, Nov 21, 2004
  14. Freddy

    > "Freddy" <> wrote in message
    > |
    > | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > | > <<snipped>>
    > | >

    > | > Five easy steps:
    > |
    > | No trouble to get this far - but then I get window wanting me to upgrade
    > | Plus to copy from LP etc.
    > | No record window. Sorry for being a PIA.
    > |

    > Oh! Well, that wasn't very nice of them, now was it! The older versions
    > (5,
    > 6, etc.) did allow line in recording with the "Basic" version. Sorry.
    > There
    > are a number of other programs to try, but as you may find, many of them
    > have time limits.
    >
    > Grodon suggested "all2wav" (go to www.download.com and put that name in
    > the
    > search box). It (like Windows Sound Recorder) records in WAV files but you
    > can easily convert a WAV file to an MP3. And of course, dadiOH *does* have
    > nice informative package at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico with other
    > software ideas and great tips.
    >
    > There are tricks to making Windows Sound Recorder go beyond 1 minute. I
    > don't remember them, but maybe someone will post that here for you.

    Yeah - worked out how to get windows past one minute, so am playing with
    that. Thanks so much to you and also dadiOH. Am playing with all suggestions
    made. So far I've learnt this is not a five minute exercise.

    Freddy, Nov 21, 2004
  15. Freddy

    dadiOH Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "Freddy" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    >> message news:psSnd.31$-media.com...
    >>> <<snipped>>
    >>>

    >>> Five easy steps:

    >> No trouble to get this far - but then I get window wanting me to
    >> upgrade to Plus to copy from LP etc.
    >> No record window. Sorry for being a PIA.
    >>

    > Oh! Well, that wasn't very nice of them, now was it! The older
    > versions (5, 6, etc.) did allow line in recording with the "Basic"
    > version. Sorry. There are a number of other programs to try, but as
    > you may find, many of them have time limits.

    Here's a good, free, easy one...

    CDex
    Tools
    Record from analog input
    http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...
    dadiOH, Nov 21, 2004
  16. Freddy

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:41:06 -0500 "dadiOH"
    used 20 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >dadiOH's dandies v3.05...
    >...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
    >LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
    >Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

    Excellent tutorial dadiOH, very well done. Thanks!

    --
    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email
    G. Morgan, Nov 21, 2004
  17. Depending on the manufacturer of your sound card they may have recording
    software on there website that you can download. Creative is one of them.

    Greg Onyshczak, Nov 21, 2004
  18. Freddy

    WormWood Guest

    "Freddy" <> wrote in message
    >I wish to preserve some old L.P. albums. Everything works fine but can
    >only record up to 60 seconds on windows sound recorder. Anyone know of
    >free program to record whole album? Plain language answers if possible.
    >TIA.

    You have received excellent suggestions from others, this is just an fyi
    thing concerning recording for longer than 60 seconds using Windows
    Sound Recorder. I have wondered how to do this for years. Your question
    acted as a catalyst to google for an answer. This was taken from:

    http://www.computerhope.com/software/soundrec.htm

    <quote>
    HOW CAN I RECORD A 60+ SECOND SOUND FILE?
    Unfortunately there is no known way to easily change the sound
    recorder to record longer then 60 seconds the reason for this is because
    the sound recorder uses a low compression ratio therefore the files are
    great quality however are also extremely big. The best way that we have
    discovered to kind of by pass this is to hit record and just record dead
    air and once stopped to hit record again and keep repeating the process
    then when you have reached ample time to rewind and hit record and begin
    recording.

    The alternative to this solution would be to get an application
    designed to record sound files at a good compression ratio.

    </quote>
    WormWood, Nov 21, 2004
  19. Freddy

    PJB Guest

    "Freddy" <> wrote in message

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > > <<snipped>>
    > > | Stilll can't find any record option other than from CD.

    if the LP's mean a lot to you, a small amount of cash purchasing some
    software isn't too much of a drag, surely?

    Try Goldwave, it's shareware, ie try before you buy, and doesn't cost an arm
    & leg.
    Or if you want to get rid of crackles etc, try Wave Corrector.

    P.
    PJB, Nov 21, 2004
  20. "Freddy" <> wrote in message
    :I wish to preserve some old L.P. albums. Everything works fine but can only
    : record up to 60 seconds on windows sound recorder. Anyone know of free
    : program to record whole album? Plain language answers if possible. TIA.
    :
    :

    While RIP Vinyl isn't free, it almost is. It costs only $7.00 for the full
    version and you can download a free trial to see how it works (although the
    demo inserts beeps on each track).
    You can find out more from http://www.ripvinyl.com/?041121

    Anthony Wieser
    Wieser Software Ltd