    without having to think about it.

    Am I missing something in the Draytek config stopping the caller ID from
    working (inbound that is) ? I'm baffled.

    R Johnson, Nov 2, 2009

  2. R Johnson

    R Johnson Guest

    On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 17:35:35 +0000, Rob wrote:

    > "R Johnson" <> wrote in message
    >> Perhaps it's me - but until recently I've used my trusty PAP to provide
    >> VoIP -> ATA conversion, and it's been great.
    >>
    >> I finally got round to putting some back up numbers on our backup DSL
    >> via a Vigor 2800. The one thing I've noticed is no matter what I do, I
    >> can't get any caller ID/Display out of it, something I've enjoyed with
    >> the PAP2 without having to think about it.
    >>
    >> Am I missing something in the Draytek config stopping the caller ID
    >> from working (inbound that is) ? I'm baffled.

    > Probably not much use to you, but CallerID works fine for me using my
    > Vigor2800VG and standard DECT phones.
    >
    > ISTR that there was at least 1 problem with CID many moons ago due to
    > some update in the firmware, but whether it prevented CID actually being
    > displayed, I can't remember. I do know there was a problem (not sure if
    > it's still present or whether it was the phone I was using at the time)
    > of the number displayed showing the last few digits of the previous
    > 'longer' incoming number. i.e. if a number consisting of, say, 11
    > digits (as in most UK numbers) called after a number consisting of more
    > than 11 digits (e.g some international), then you would see the 11 digit
    > number with 1 or more of the last digits of the longer number tagged on
    > to display the same number of digits as the longer number. In other
    > words (IMHO) the shorter number did not seem to be completely
    > over-writing some buffer which displayed the incoming number.
    >
    > FWIW I'm using firmware 2.8.1 which I know isn't the latest, but there
    > was some reason for me not using the next latest version (which
    > unfortunately again, I've forgotten what that was!).
    >
    > Rob

    Thanks Rob. Mine has older firmware too:
    Firmware Version : 2.8.2

    Listening on the output of the RJ11 and calling the number, I'm not
    hearing a burst of fsk (or dtfm). Nothing, diddly squat. The landline, on
    the other hand, has the fsk clearly ahead of the ring. It's like it's
    completely missing from the output of the Draytek, but there is no
    obvious setting on the GUI :-(

    I'll look a bit closer at it tomorrow, but thanks for letting me know it
    *should* work, that is a vital. Really appreciate you taking the time.
    Thanks.

    R Johnson, Nov 2, 2009

  3. In article <>,
    Rob <> wrote:

    >"R Johnson" <> wrote in message
    >> Perhaps it's me - but until recently I've used my trusty PAP to provide
    >> VoIP -> ATA conversion, and it's been great.
    >>
    >> I finally got round to putting some back up numbers on our backup DSL via
    >> a Vigor 2800. The one thing I've noticed is no matter what I do, I can't
    >> get any caller ID/Display out of it, something I've enjoyed with the PAP2
    >> without having to think about it.
    >>
    >> Am I missing something in the Draytek config stopping the caller ID from
    >> working (inbound that is) ? I'm baffled.

    >Probably not much use to you, but CallerID works fine for me using my
    >Vigor2800VG and standard DECT phones.

    And FWIW: I have an older 2600V with some really old DECT phones and
    caller ID "mostly works". I was never sure if it was the phones or the
    2600 that was at fault - what I typically see on the phones is only hte
    first 5-6 characters of the caller ID.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Nov 3, 2009
  4. R Johnson

    R Johnson Guest

    On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 10:11:52 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

    > In article <>, Rob
    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >>"R Johnson" <> wrote in message
    >>> Perhaps it's me - but until recently I've used my trusty PAP to
    >>> provide VoIP -> ATA conversion, and it's been great.
    >>>
    >>> I finally got round to putting some back up numbers on our backup DSL
    >>> via a Vigor 2800. The one thing I've noticed is no matter what I do, I
    >>> can't get any caller ID/Display out of it, something I've enjoyed with
    >>> the PAP2 without having to think about it.
    >>>
    >>> Am I missing something in the Draytek config stopping the caller ID
    >>> from working (inbound that is) ? I'm baffled.

    >>Probably not much use to you, but CallerID works fine for me using my
    >>Vigor2800VG and standard DECT phones.

    > And FWIW: I have an older 2600V with some really old DECT phones and
    > caller ID "mostly works". I was never sure if it was the phones or the
    > 2600 that was at fault - what I typically see on the phones is only hte
    > first 5-6 characters of the caller ID.
    >
    > Gordon

    OK, heres the story so far.

    Rebooted the router, put in my trusty Harris test butt, on high imp
    monitor. Call Sipgate number, can now hear a burst of fsk. The timing is
    a little out compared to a BT line - the burst appears to be a little
    quicker and lack the pause ahead of the initial ring of a BT line, if
    that makes sense.

    So far I've tried five caller ID/Display boxes on it - and only one {a
    cheap eBay TP38) would pick up the fsk. Funny enough this cheap phone
    struggles to pick up the BT caller display, but had no issues at all with
    the Draytek - how weird is that????

    Everything else (from my old relate 1000, through the CL50, CL1000, USR
    Modem, CALLER ID 2008E and even my recorder interface with CLI fail to
    pick out the FSK from the Draytek.

    I'm no caller display expert, but I'm starting to wonder if there are
    different types of fsk caller display and the Draytek is doing the
    fandango :-\

    R Johnson, Nov 3, 2009
  5. R Johnson

    Steve Hayes Guest

    Gordon Henderson wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Rob <> wrote:
    >>
    >>"R Johnson" <> wrote in message
    >>> Perhaps it's me - but until recently I've used my trusty PAP to provide
    >>> VoIP -> ATA conversion, and it's been great.
    >>>
    >>> I finally got round to putting some back up numbers on our backup DSL
    >>> via a Vigor 2800. The one thing I've noticed is no matter what I do, I
    >>> can't get any caller ID/Display out of it, something I've enjoyed with
    >>> the PAP2 without having to think about it.
    >>>
    >>> Am I missing something in the Draytek config stopping the caller ID from
    >>> working (inbound that is) ? I'm baffled.

    >>Probably not much use to you, but CallerID works fine for me using my
    >>Vigor2800VG and standard DECT phones.

    > And FWIW: I have an older 2600V with some really old DECT phones and
    > caller ID "mostly works". I was never sure if it was the phones or the
    > 2600 that was at fault - what I typically see on the phones is only hte
    > first 5-6 characters of the caller ID.
    >
    > Gordon

    I've had this problem with the SPA3102 and the cause may be the same with
    the Draytek or the PSTN to SIP gateway may be responsible.

    CallerID sends two fields. One contains the calling number and the other is
    intended to contain the caller's name. With a pure SIP call (dialled using
    the IP address), the name field contains whatever the caller has set on
    their device. BT don't provide caller name and the name field is empty on
    calls going over the PSTN (the Americans do use the name field).

    Many phones seem to show the number when the name field is empty but show
    the name instead if it's there. However, some can only show the first 8
    characters or so of a name although they show all the digits of a number
    (name uses 14 display segments per character while number only uses 7).

    The SPA3102 tries to be clever and, when the name field is empty, it copies
    the caller's number to it. Result - the phone may only show the first few
    digits. Silly SPA3102! The phone does have all the digits from the number
    field and you can use the callback function which may let you see them.

    I only figured this out when I made a direct IP call to an afflicted setup
    and saw the name I'd programmed at the calling end. Before then, I'd only
    ever seen numbers on the phone except when there was a match in the
    phonebook.

    --
    Steve Hayes, South Wales, UK
    ----Remove colours from reply address----

    Steve Hayes, Nov 3, 2009
  6. R Johnson

    R Johnson Guest

    On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 15:14:10 +0000, Steve Hayes wrote:

    > Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, Rob
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>"R Johnson" <> wrote in message

    >>>Probably not much use to you, but CallerID works fine for me using my
    >>>Vigor2800VG and standard DECT phones.

    >> And FWIW: I have an older 2600V with some really old DECT phones and
    >> caller ID "mostly works". I was never sure if it was the phones or the
    >> 2600 that was at fault - what I typically see on the phones is only hte
    >> first 5-6 characters of the caller ID.
    >>
    >> Gordon

    > I've had this problem with the SPA3102 and the cause may be the same
    > with the Draytek or the PSTN to SIP gateway may be responsible.
    >
    > CallerID sends two fields. One contains the calling number and the other
    > is intended to contain the caller's name. With a pure SIP call (dialled
    > using the IP address), the name field contains whatever the caller has
    > set on their device. BT don't provide caller name and the name field is
    > empty on calls going over the PSTN (the Americans do use the name
    > field).
    >
    > Many phones seem to show the number when the name field is empty but
    > show the name instead if it's there. However, some can only show the
    > first 8 characters or so of a name although they show all the digits of
    > a number (name uses 14 display segments per character while number only
    > uses 7).
    >
    > The SPA3102 tries to be clever and, when the name field is empty, it
    > copies the caller's number to it. Result - the phone may only show the
    > first few digits. Silly SPA3102! The phone does have all the digits from
    > the number field and you can use the callback function which may let you
    > see them.
    >
    > I only figured this out when I made a direct IP call to an afflicted
    > setup and saw the name I'd programmed at the calling end. Before then,
    > I'd only ever seen numbers on the phone except when there was a match in
    > the phonebook.

    The weird thing for me is I get nothing at all (no parts of digits, no
    names, nothing) out of nearly every caller display unit I've tried, apart
    from one cheap eBay phone - which happily displays the whole number
    flawlessly. What makes it weird is this cheap phone has flaky caller
    display on a normal BT line, sometime it displays the number, sometimes
    nothing at all. I'm totally boggled.

    It's interesting to note the additional fields being sent, thanks for the
    info. It's all a bit odd.

    R Johnson, Nov 3, 2009
  7. R Johnson

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 10:11:52 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >Rob <> wrote:
    >>
    >>"R Johnson" <> wrote in message
    >>> Perhaps it's me - but until recently I've used my trusty PAP to provide
    >>> VoIP -> ATA conversion, and it's been great.
    >>>
    >>> I finally got round to putting some back up numbers on our backup DSL via
    >>> a Vigor 2800. The one thing I've noticed is no matter what I do, I can't
    >>> get any caller ID/Display out of it, something I've enjoyed with the PAP2
    >>> without having to think about it.
    >>>
    >>> Am I missing something in the Draytek config stopping the caller ID from
    >>> working (inbound that is) ? I'm baffled.

    >>Probably not much use to you, but CallerID works fine for me using my
    >>Vigor2800VG and standard DECT phones.

    >And FWIW: I have an older 2600V with some really old DECT phones and
    >caller ID "mostly works". I was never sure if it was the phones or the
    >2600 that was at fault - what I typically see on the phones is only hte
    >first 5-6 characters of the caller ID.

    I'm having the same problem with a Vigor 2820Vn using the latest
    firmware release (v 3.3.2.1). No CLI shown on the phone. This also
    used to work fine for me using a Vigor 2600We

    Chris

    Chris Blunt, Nov 3, 2009
  8. R Johnson

    R Johnson Guest

    On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 16:46:05 +0000, Rob wrote:

    > "R Johnson" <> wrote in message

    >>> I've had this problem with the SPA3102 and the cause may be the same
    >>> with the Draytek or the PSTN to SIP gateway may be responsible.
    >>>
    >>> CallerID sends two fields. One contains the calling number and the
    >>> other is intended to contain the caller's name. With a pure SIP call
    >>> (dialled using the IP address), the name field contains whatever the
    >>> caller has set on their device. BT don't provide caller name and the
    >>> name field is empty on calls going over the PSTN (the Americans do use
    >>> the name field).
    >>>
    >>> Many phones seem to show the number when the name field is empty but
    >>> show the name instead if it's there. However, some can only show the
    >>> first 8 characters or so of a name although they show all the digits
    >>> of a number (name uses 14 display segments per character while number
    >>> only uses 7).
    >>>
    >>> The SPA3102 tries to be clever and, when the name field is empty, it
    >>> copies the caller's number to it. Result - the phone may only show the
    >>> first few digits. Silly SPA3102! The phone does have all the digits
    >>> from the number field and you can use the callback function which may
    >>> let you see them.
    >>>
    >>> I only figured this out when I made a direct IP call to an afflicted
    >>> setup and saw the name I'd programmed at the calling end. Before then,
    >>> I'd only ever seen numbers on the phone except when there was a match
    >>> in the phonebook.

    >> The weird thing for me is I get nothing at all (no parts of digits, no
    >> names, nothing) out of nearly every caller display unit I've tried,
    >> apart from one cheap eBay phone - which happily displays the whole
    >> number flawlessly. What makes it weird is this cheap phone has flaky
    >> caller display on a normal BT line, sometime it displays the number,
    >> sometimes nothing at all. I'm totally boggled.
    >>
    >> It's interesting to note the additional fields being sent, thanks for
    >> the info. It's all a bit odd.

    > If I get time (and remember!) in the next day or three, I'll try hooking
    > some other CID phones up to my DrayTek and see what results I get (i.e.
    > whether they display CID, nothing technical!).
    >
    > ATM these phones are in use so I can't just plug them in, I'll have to
    > substitute them with others.
    >
    > The DECT phone I am using successfully ATM on the DrayTek is an oldish
    > Binatone 'Activity 1000'.
    >
    > Something else I just thought of, but probably irrelevant, do you see
    > the numbers come up in the VoIP log page of the router? (VoIP / Status).
    >
    > Rob

    Hi Rob,

    Yep, in and outbound calls fully detailed in the log on the VoIP status
    page.

    I see Chris is having an issue too. Over the years of working on BT lines
    I can tell the fsk is running just a little bit fast on the Draytek and
    the ring is coming in early. I don't think the AC ring is bothering the
    CLIP data, as I would expect corruption - not no display at all.

    Ummmm.

    R Johnson, Nov 3, 2009
  9. R Johnson

    Guest

    Chris Blunt <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 10:11:52 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > >Rob <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>"R Johnson" <> wrote in message

    > >>Probably not much use to you, but CallerID works fine for me using my
    > >>Vigor2800VG and standard DECT phones.

    > >And FWIW: I have an older 2600V with some really old DECT phones and
    > >caller ID "mostly works". I was never sure if it was the phones or the
    > >2600 that was at fault - what I typically see on the phones is only hte
    > >first 5-6 characters of the caller ID.

    > I'm having the same problem with a Vigor 2820Vn using the latest
    > firmware release (v 3.3.2.1). No CLI shown on the phone. This also
    > used to work fine for me using a Vigor 2600We

    There's 3.3.3 versions of the firmware available now.

    --
    Chris Green

    , Nov 3, 2009
  10. R Johnson

    R Johnson Guest

    On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 19:00:31 +0000, Rob wrote:

    > "R Johnson" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 16:46:05 +0000, Rob wrote:
    >>
    >>> "R Johnson" <> wrote in message

    >>> If I get time (and remember!) in the next day or three, I'll try
    >>> hooking some other CID phones up to my DrayTek and see what results I
    >>> get (i.e. whether they display CID, nothing technical!).
    >>>
    >>> ATM these phones are in use so I can't just plug them in, I'll have to
    >>> substitute them with others.
    >>>
    >>> The DECT phone I am using successfully ATM on the DrayTek is an oldish
    >>> Binatone 'Activity 1000'.
    >>>
    >>> Something else I just thought of, but probably irrelevant, do you see
    >>> the numbers come up in the VoIP log page of the router? (VoIP /
    >>> Status).
    >>>
    >>> Rob

    >> Hi Rob,
    >>
    >> Yep, in and outbound calls fully detailed in the log on the VoIP status
    >> page.
    >>
    >> I see Chris is having an issue too. Over the years of working on BT
    >> lines I can tell the fsk is running just a little bit fast on the
    >> Draytek and the ring is coming in early. I don't think the AC ring is
    >> bothering the CLIP data, as I would expect corruption - not no display
    >> at all.
    >>
    >> Ummmm.

    > Another thing I've just remembered, although I haven't noticed whether
    > there is any effect on CID, is that I have different 'Ring patterns' set
    > for various accounts. I think the setting for this is at the bottom left
    > of the page in VoIP / SIP Accounts / Index 1,2,3,etc
    >
    > Rob

    I'd already tried that :-( but thanks for the thought. I like the cryptic
    way they describe them - it's so helpful LOL.

    R Johnson, Nov 3, 2009
  11. R Johnson

    alexd Guest

    Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, Steve Hayes chose
    the tried and tested strategy of:

    > I've had this problem with the SPA3102 and the cause may be the same with
    > the Draytek or the PSTN to SIP gateway may be responsible.

    Just a data point; with a Panasonic DECT handset an a SPA3102, I get name and
    number when applicable, and when there's no name I get the number twice.
    Grandstream 486 behaves the same.

    The Grandstream has recently been replaced because a) the audio quality isn't
    very good b) it has developed a habit of randomly dropping calls with a fast
    beeping tone.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    21:53:33 up 16 days, 19:57, 4 users, load average: 0.01, 0.09, 0.13

    alexd, Nov 3, 2009
  12. R Johnson

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On 03 Nov 2009 17:59:22 GMT, R Johnson <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 16:46:05 +0000, Rob wrote:
    >
    >> "R Johnson" <> wrote in message

    >>> The weird thing for me is I get nothing at all (no parts of digits, no
    >>> names, nothing) out of nearly every caller display unit I've tried,
    >>> apart from one cheap eBay phone - which happily displays the whole
    >>> number flawlessly. What makes it weird is this cheap phone has flaky
    >>> caller display on a normal BT line, sometime it displays the number,
    >>> sometimes nothing at all. I'm totally boggled.
    >>>
    >>> It's interesting to note the additional fields being sent, thanks for
    >>> the info. It's all a bit odd.

    >> If I get time (and remember!) in the next day or three, I'll try hooking
    >> some other CID phones up to my DrayTek and see what results I get (i.e.
    >> whether they display CID, nothing technical!).
    >>
    >> ATM these phones are in use so I can't just plug them in, I'll have to
    >> substitute them with others.
    >>
    >> The DECT phone I am using successfully ATM on the DrayTek is an oldish
    >> Binatone 'Activity 1000'.
    >>
    >> Something else I just thought of, but probably irrelevant, do you see
    >> the numbers come up in the VoIP log page of the router? (VoIP / Status).
    >>
    >> Rob

    >Hi Rob,
    >
    >Yep, in and outbound calls fully detailed in the log on the VoIP status
    >page.
    >
    >I see Chris is having an issue too.

    I can confirm I'm also seeing the incoming CLID in the router's log,
    it's just not displayed on the phone.

    I'm using an AT&T branded phone which was purchased in the USA, so I
    have my Caller ID Type set to FSK_BELLCORE (US/AU) under VoIP>>Phone
    Settings>>Advanced. I'll try messing around with this later to see if
    it makes any difference using the other options there.

    Chris

    Chris Blunt, Nov 4, 2009
  13. In article <4af0404b$0$2491$>,
    R Johnson <> wrote:

    >I'm no caller display expert, but I'm starting to wonder if there are
    >different types of fsk caller display and the Draytek is doing the
    >fandango :-\

    There are as many as there are phone companies, but broadly speaking
    3 main types. In the UK the line is supposed to do a reversal before
    sending the ID then engaging ring..

    Have a look here:

    http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm

    and scroll down the standards...

    I've just checked my own Draytek (2600) and there is a page called Tone
    Settings - and on that page, it has a list of countries and for each
    country, there is a caller ID setting...

    I don't have access to a 2820V, so can't tell if it has the same thing.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Nov 4, 2009
  14. R Johnson

    R Johnson Guest

    On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 15:30:15 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

    > In article <4af0404b$0$2491$>, R Johnson
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm no caller display expert, but I'm starting to wonder if there are
    >>different types of fsk caller display and the Draytek is doing the
    >>fandango :-\

    > There are as many as there are phone companies, but broadly speaking 3
    > main types. In the UK the line is supposed to do a reversal before
    > sending the ID then engaging ring..
    >
    > Have a look here:
    >
    > http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm
    >
    > and scroll down the standards...
    >
    > I've just checked my own Draytek (2600) and there is a page called Tone
    > Settings - and on that page, it has a list of countries and for each
    > country, there is a caller ID setting...
    >
    > I don't have access to a 2820V, so can't tell if it has the same thing.
    >
    > Gordon

    Thanks GH, I found that this morning under VOIP > PHONE SETTINGS {click
    phone index number on left} then 'advanced' button. By default it is
    greyed out with FSK_ETSI(UK), changing the region to 'User Defined'
    allows it to be changed, I've tried FSK_ETSI (without the UK) but there
    is no difference :-(

    I looked to Draytek's website for support, but that brings up a 404.
    Attempts to join the forum never get a confirmation email and I could not
    update the firmware if I wanted as the tool will only run on Windoze or
    Mac. We are entirely Linux here :-(

    Model Name : Vigor2800 series
    Firmware Version : 2.8.2
    Build Date/Time : Tue Jun 3 15:26:55.35 2008
    ADSL Firmware Version : E.38.2.23 Annex A

    I'll just use a cheap eBay phone on it and accept it's not meant to be.

    R Johnson, Nov 4, 2009
  15. R Johnson

    Steve Hayes Guest

    R Johnson wrote:

    > On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 15:30:15 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
    >
    >> In article <4af0404b$0$2491$>, R Johnson
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm no caller display expert, but I'm starting to wonder if there are
    >>>different types of fsk caller display and the Draytek is doing the
    >>>fandango :-\

    [snip]

    >> Gordon

    > Thanks GH, I found that this morning under VOIP > PHONE SETTINGS {click
    > phone index number on left} then 'advanced' button. By default it is
    > greyed out with FSK_ETSI(UK), changing the region to 'User Defined'
    > allows it to be changed, I've tried FSK_ETSI (without the UK) but there
    > is no difference :-(

    [snip]

    > I'll just use a cheap eBay phone on it and accept it's not meant to be.

    I have a 2800VG with 2.8.2.1_B1120 firmware which I think is the latest (it
    works OK with an E160 3G dongle which older firmware didn't). Its VOIP ports
    are registered with Sipgate accounts which we haven't been using recently
    and previously only used with ancient phones without Caller Display.

    I tested it just now with two different cordless phones - a brand new
    Panasonic and an older and flaky Binatone. Results:

    The Panasonic works with FSK_ETSI, FSK_ETSI(UK) and FSK_BELLCORE.

    The Binatone works with FSK_ETSI and FSK_BELLCORE but fails to pick up
    FSK_ETSI(UK). It always worked OK with the SPA3102 set to the UK version,
    though it suffered from the truncated numbers I reported elsewhere. (It
    didn't truncate numbers today. Draytek may be OK on that front. The test
    calls were via Sipgate so there could still be problems at the PSTN to SIP
    gateways.)

    Presumably there is a timing problem with Draytek's implementation of the UK
    version as others have reported and the Panasonic is more forgiving. Phones
    are made for the world market and I suppose they are designed to work with
    as many formats as possible. Anyway, anyone with problems should try all
    three versions and perhaps will need to update the Draytek firmware, even if
    they have to borrow a Windows laptop (ugh!) to do it.

    Steve Hayes, Nov 5, 2009