    With all the discussion threads on here regarding vignetting issues
    with digital sensors, I have yet to see such a comparison. It would be
    very enlightening for all.

    W (winhag), Nov 14, 2005

  2. On 14 Nov 2005 08:25:59 -0800, "W (winhag)" <> wrote:

    >Folks,
    >
    >Has anyone ever tried doing an apples to apples vignetting comparison
    >between a full frame DSLR (e.g. 5D) vs. a 35mm film SLR? Specifically,
    >using the same lens on both cameras shooting an evenly lit white or
    >gray card, then scanning the film shot and comparing (preferably with a
    >few different lenses/focal lengths) the film vs FF sensor with the same
    >lens?
    >With all the discussion threads on here regarding vignetting issues
    >with digital sensors, I have yet to see such a comparison. It would be
    >very enlightening for all.

    It can be fixed so easily in CS2's raw, I don't see why it an issue.

    *************************************
    A man said to the universe:
    "Sir, I exist!"
    "However" replied the universe,
    "The fact has not created in me
    A sense of obligation."
    Stephen Crane

    John A. Stovall, Nov 14, 2005

  3. W (winhag)

    Rich Guest

    On 14 Nov 2005 08:25:59 -0800, "W (winhag)" <> wrote:

    >Folks,
    >
    >Has anyone ever tried doing an apples to apples vignetting comparison
    >between a full frame DSLR (e.g. 5D) vs. a 35mm film SLR? Specifically,
    >using the same lens on both cameras shooting an evenly lit white or
    >gray card, then scanning the film shot and comparing (preferably with a
    >few different lenses/focal lengths) the film vs FF sensor with the same
    >lens?
    >With all the discussion threads on here regarding vignetting issues
    >with digital sensors, I have yet to see such a comparison. It would be
    >very enlightening for all.

    It can all be fixed.....easily.....
    -Vignetting
    -Dust
    -Chromatic aberration
    -Coma (edge blurring)
    -Spherical aberration

    Provided you want to spend the better part of your life f------ around
    with PS.
    -Rich

    Rich, Nov 15, 2005
  4. W (winhag)

    W (winhag) Guest

    I am asking this question because I once shot a piece of graph paper on
    a wall to look
    at barrel distortion. I did this on film with my EF 24mm f/2.8. After I
    scanned the developed
    film I was surprised at how much vignetting there was. I was not very
    careful about lighting because that was not my intent, but the paper
    was fairly evenly lit. So I am curious as to how much of an actual
    difference there is with the 5D sensor (presumbly due to microlenses)
    vs. a 35mm film shot. There has been so much debate/speculation/theory
    on here. It would be interesting to see an actual test with a few real
    lenses/f-stops of 35mm film vs 5D sensor regarding vignetting.

    W (winhag), Nov 15, 2005
  5. W (winhag)

    Stacey Guest

    John A. Stovall wrote:

    > It can be fixed so easily in CS2's raw, I don't see why it an issue.

    Interesting how a canon image quality flaw that can be fixed in software
    "Isn't an issue" but if another brand has an image quality flaw that can be
    fixed in software it's "A deal breaker"!
    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Nov 15, 2005
  6. On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 23:23:39 -0500, Stacey <> wrote:

    >John A. Stovall wrote:
    >

    >> It can be fixed so easily in CS2's raw, I don't see why it an issue.
    >>

    >Interesting how a canon image quality flaw that can be fixed in software
    >"Isn't an issue" but if another brand has an image quality flaw that can be
    >fixed in software it's "A deal breaker"!

    I've never seen vignetting a deal breaker. It's a fact of life with
    some WA lens even on full frame.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Nov 15, 2005
  7. On 14 Nov 2005 20:02:23 -0800, "W (winhag)" <> wrote:

    >I am asking this question because I once shot a piece of graph paper on
    >a wall to look
    >at barrel distortion. I did this on film with my EF 24mm f/2.8. After I
    >scanned the developed
    >film I was surprised at how much vignetting there was. I was not very
    >careful about lighting because that was not my intent, but the paper
    >was fairly evenly lit. So I am curious as to how much of an actual
    >difference there is with the 5D sensor (presumbly due to microlenses)
    >vs. a 35mm film shot. There has been so much debate/speculation/theory
    >on here. It would be interesting to see an actual test with a few real
    >lenses/f-stops of 35mm film vs 5D sensor regarding vignetting.

    Some 35mm WA also vignett. My 12mm Zeiss Distagon on the Conterex
    body did also and one just dealt with it when making the final print
    by some artful dodging.

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Nov 15, 2005
  8. W (winhag)

    Lorem Ipsum Guest

    "W (winhag)" <> wrote in message
    >I am asking this question because I once shot a piece of graph paper on
    > a wall to look
    > at barrel distortion.

    If the paper was not at infinity, and it probably wasn't, then
    close-focusing increases the focal length The effect with some lenses is not
    linear, so making comparisons with closeups to normal use has to be done
    very carefully.

    Lorem Ipsum, Nov 15, 2005