    Does anyone know anything about this? The choices are off, low, medium
    and high. I could take a guess at what it might do, but I don't know for
    sure.

    Dave, Aug 28, 2008

  2. On 8/28/2008 9:59 AM Dave spake thus:

    > On my D3, on the 'Shooting' menu the last item is "Vignette control". I
    > can't find this mentioned anywhere in the manual. Either in the book
    > provided with the camera, or on the PDF I downloaded.
    >
    > I assume it might be something that was been added in firmware released
    > after the manual was printed. In my camera, the firmware versions
    > reported are
    >
    > A 2.00
    > B 2.00
    >
    > Does anyone know anything about this? The choices are off, low, medium
    > and high. I could take a guess at what it might do, but I don't know for
    > sure.

    This post is off-topic for this newsgroup, rec.photo.equipment.35mm,
    which is concerned with film cameras that use 35mm film, not digital
    cameras that look like 35mm SLRs.

    Please use an appropriate newsgroup for postings on digital cameras. One
    of the following groups would be a good place for such postings:

    rec.photo.digital
    rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
    rec.photo.digital.rangefinder
    rec.photo.digital.slr
    rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

    (Note that the list of groups available to you depends on what your ISP
    or news provider carries, and may differ from this list)

    --
    "In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
    population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

    - Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
    presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
    Authority".

    David Nebenzahl, Aug 28, 2008

  3. Dave

    Roy G Guest

    "David Nebenzahl" <> wrote in message
    > On 8/28/2008 9:59 AM Dave spake thus:
    >
    >> sure.

    > This post is off-topic for this newsgroup, rec.photo.equipment.35mm, which
    > is concerned with film cameras that use 35mm film, not digital cameras
    > that look like 35mm SLRs.

    It might well be off topic for your group, but your description of DSLRs
    really shows your own prejudice.

    You are perfectly entitled not to like Digital SLRs, but in spite of that
    they really are SLRs, and don't just look like SLRs.

    Please amend your "Off Topic" response by removing your Snotty sounding Put
    Down.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Aug 28, 2008
  4. Dave

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On Aug 28, 11:59 am, Dave <> wrote:
    > On my D3, on the 'Shooting' menu the last item is "Vignette control". I
    > can't find this mentioned anywhere in the manual. Either in the book
    > provided with the camera, or on the PDF I downloaded.
    >
    > I assume it might be something that was been added in firmware released
    > after the manual was printed. In my camera, the firmware versions
    > reported are
    >
    > A 2.00
    > B 2.00
    >
    > Does anyone know anything about this? The choices are off, low, medium
    > and high. I could take a guess at what it might do, but I don't know for
    > sure.

    This is not a firmware issue, but rather feature of Nikon Capture 3,
    so you will find information in that manual rather than in the
    camera's. I would assume it allows Capture 3 to take advantage of
    certain fields in the EXIF data that are already being recorded to the
    image file.

    Though I have never noticed substantial vignetting with any but the
    shortest glass, I think that this is a clever idea, and would be cuter
    if it could be custom tailored by the user for any lens. It seems
    that the firmware itself can be set to certain values of vignette
    control when camera firmware is not able to recognize the individual
    lens.

    I found this after a few seconds' Googling:

    Nikon Capture 3 Version 3.5
    This document describes the features that have been added with the
    release of Nikon Capture 3 version 3.5.

    Page numbers refer to the
    Nikon Capture 3 User’s Manual, Third Edition.

    Vignette Control for RAW Images (pg. 136)

    Vignette Control has been added to the image adjustment tool
    palettes.

    The Vignette Control palette is used to correct for loss of
    marginal lumination, a phenomenon associated with camera lenses that
    causes a drop in brightness at the edges of a photograph.

    Vignette Control is most effective when performed on images taken at
    maximum aperture. If the picture in the active image win-
    dow is a RAW image taken with a lens equipped to transmit distance
    information (i.e., a type G or D lens) mounted on a camera
    that can record this information, Nikon Capture 3 will use the lens
    information recorded with the image to automatically select an
    optimal value for Vignette Control. Where lens information is not
    available, Vignette Control will be based on default lens charac-
    teristics

    http://www.blackdiamondproductions.net/d100/pdf/nc35_upgrade_en.pdf

    There is some kind of upgrade that is all over the internet if you
    choose to google further.

    HTH.

    --
    YOP...

    Nervous Nick, Aug 28, 2008
  5. On 8/28/2008 3:07 PM Roy G spake thus:

    > "David Nebenzahl" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> This post is off-topic for this newsgroup, rec.photo.equipment.35mm, which
    >> is concerned with film cameras that use 35mm film, not digital cameras
    >> that look like 35mm SLRs.

    > It might well be off topic for your group, but your description of DSLRs
    > really shows your own prejudice.
    >
    > You are perfectly entitled not to like Digital SLRs, but in spite of that
    > they really are SLRs, and don't just look like SLRs.
    >
    > Please amend your "Off Topic" response by removing your Snotty sounding Put
    > Down.

    The "Put Down", as you call it, is all in your imagination. I simply
    pointed out that DSLRs look like 35mm film cameras, which they do, in a
    gross kind of way (same general size and shape).

    It's got nothing to do with liking or not liking digital or film
    cameras: it's keeping apples with apples, and oranges with oranges.

    David Nebenzahl, Aug 29, 2008
  6. Dave

    ransley Guest

    On Aug 28, 12:23 pm, David Nebenzahl <> wrote:
    > On 8/28/2008 9:59 AM Dave spake thus:
    >
    > > On my D3, on the 'Shooting' menu the last item is "Vignette control". I
    > > can't find this mentioned anywhere in the manual. Either in the book
    > > provided with the camera, or on the PDF I downloaded.

    > > I assume it might be something that was been added in firmware released
    > > after the manual was printed. In my camera, the firmware versions
    > > reported are

    > > A 2.00
    > > B 2.00

    > > Does anyone know anything about this? The choices are off, low, medium
    > > and high. I could take a guess at what it might do, but I don't know for
    > > sure.

    > This post is off-topic for this newsgroup, rec.photo.equipment.35mm,
    > which is concerned with film cameras that use 35mm film, not digital
    > cameras that look like 35mm SLRs.
    >
    > Please use an appropriate newsgroup for postings on digital cameras. One
    > of the following groups would be a good place for such postings:
    >
    >    rec.photo.digital
    >    rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
    >    rec.photo.digital.rangefinder
    >    rec.photo.digital.slr
    >    rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
    >
    > (Note that the list of groups available to you depends on what your ISP
    > or news provider carries, and may differ from this list)
    >
    > --
    >       "In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
    >   will bomb the cities of Vietnam, defoliate the jungles, herd the
    >   population into concentration camps and turn the country into a
    >   wasteland.' But Lyndon Johnson said: 'No! No! No! Don't you dare do
    >   that. Let ME do it.'"
    >
    > - Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
    > presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
    > Authority".

    Who is using 35mm film anymore, your post is off topic

    ransley, Aug 29, 2008
  7. Dave

    > On 8/28/2008 3:07 PM Roy G spake thus:
    >
    >> "David Nebenzahl" <> wrote in message
    >>

    > The "Put Down", as you call it, is all in your imagination. I simply
    > pointed out that DSLRs look like 35mm film cameras, which they do, in a
    > gross kind of way (same general size and shape).

    There goes your prejudice again - "Gross kind of a way".

    When you must know, that they are exactly like 35mm Film SLRs, (other than
    the recording medium), because they are SLRs.

    The only external difference is that DSLRs have an LCD for instant reviewing
    of images on the rear, where Film SLRs have a little frame for inserting
    Film Box Ends.

    Do try to control your intemperance.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Aug 29, 2008
  8. Dave

    John Smith Guest

    **** OFF, David Nazi-zahl!

    John Smith, Aug 29, 2008
  9. Dave

    Steve Guest

    On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:23:51 -0700, David Nebenzahl
    <> wrote:

    >On 8/28/2008 9:59 AM Dave spake thus:
    >
    >> On my D3, on the 'Shooting' menu the last item is "Vignette control". I
    >> can't find this mentioned anywhere in the manual. Either in the book
    >> provided with the camera, or on the PDF I downloaded.
    >>
    >> I assume it might be something that was been added in firmware released
    >> after the manual was printed. In my camera, the firmware versions
    >> reported are
    >>
    >> A 2.00
    >> B 2.00
    >>
    >> Does anyone know anything about this? The choices are off, low, medium
    >> and high. I could take a guess at what it might do, but I don't know for
    >> sure.

    >This post is off-topic for this newsgroup, rec.photo.equipment.35mm,
    >which is concerned with film cameras that use 35mm film, not digital
    >cameras that look like 35mm SLRs.

    Would it be on topic to discuss a 35mm film camera that had a digital
    back on it?

    Steve

    Steve, Aug 29, 2008
  10. On 8/28/2008 10:02 PM Steve spake thus:

    > On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:23:51 -0700, David Nebenzahl
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 8/28/2008 9:59 AM Dave spake thus:
    >>
    >>> On my D3, on the 'Shooting' menu the last item is "Vignette control". I
    >>> can't find this mentioned anywhere in the manual. Either in the book
    >>> provided with the camera, or on the PDF I downloaded.
    >>>
    >>> I assume it might be something that was been added in firmware released
    >>> after the manual was printed. In my camera, the firmware versions
    >>> reported are
    >>>
    >>> A 2.00
    >>> B 2.00
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know anything about this? The choices are off, low, medium
    >>> and high. I could take a guess at what it might do, but I don't know for
    >>> sure.

    >>This post is off-topic for this newsgroup, rec.photo.equipment.35mm,
    >>which is concerned with film cameras that use 35mm film, not digital
    >>cameras that look like 35mm SLRs.

    > Would it be on topic to discuss a 35mm film camera that had a digital
    > back on it?

    That's an interesting question. Considering how anarchistic Usenet is,
    and how discussions regularly drift off-topic, I'd have to say yes. It's
    not a matter of anally enforcing rules according to some charter, after
    all. Common sense.

    David Nebenzahl, Aug 29, 2008
  11. On 8/28/2008 10:02 PM Steve spake thus:

    > On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:23:51 -0700, David Nebenzahl
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>This post is off-topic for this newsgroup, rec.photo.equipment.35mm,
    >>which is concerned with film cameras that use 35mm film, not digital
    >>cameras that look like 35mm SLRs.

    > Would it be on topic to discuss a 35mm film camera that had a digital
    > back on it?

    By the way, is there such a thing?

    David Nebenzahl, Aug 29, 2008
  12. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Nervous Nick wrote:
    > On Aug 28, 11:59 am, Dave <> wrote:
    >> On my D3, on the 'Shooting' menu the last item is "Vignette control". I
    >> can't find this mentioned anywhere in the manual. Either in the book
    >> provided with the camera, or on the PDF I downloaded.
    >>
    >> I assume it might be something that was been added in firmware released
    >> after the manual was printed. In my camera, the firmware versions
    >> reported are
    >>
    >> A 2.00
    >> B 2.00
    >>
    >> Does anyone know anything about this? The choices are off, low, medium
    >> and high. I could take a guess at what it might do, but I don't know for
    >> sure.

    > This is not a firmware issue, but rather feature of Nikon Capture 3,
    > so you will find information in that manual rather than in the
    > camera's. I would assume it allows Capture 3 to take advantage of
    > certain fields in the EXIF data that are already being recorded to the
    > image file.

    What I mean is that since it is not documented in the D3's manual, it
    was either an oversight or added to later firmware versions of the D3.

    > Though I have never noticed substantial vignetting with any but the
    > shortest glass, I think that this is a clever idea, and would be cuter
    > if it could be custom tailored by the user for any lens. It seems
    > that the firmware itself can be set to certain values of vignette
    > control when camera firmware is not able to recognize the individual
    > lens.

    > I found this after a few seconds' Googling:
    >
    > Nikon Capture 3 Version 3.5
    > This document describes the features that have been added with the
    > release of Nikon Capture 3 version 3.5.
    >
    > Page numbers refer to the
    > Nikon Capture 3 User’s Manual, Third Edition.
    >
    > Vignette Control for RAW Images (pg. 136)
    >
    > Vignette Control has been added to the image adjustment tool
    > palettes.
    >
    > The Vignette Control palette is used to correct for loss of
    > marginal lumination, a phenomenon associated with camera lenses that
    > causes a drop in brightness at the edges of a photograph.
    >
    > Vignette Control is most effective when performed on images taken at
    > maximum aperture. If the picture in the active image win-
    > dow is a RAW image taken with a lens equipped to transmit distance
    > information (i.e., a type G or D lens) mounted on a camera
    > that can record this information, Nikon Capture 3 will use the lens
    > information recorded with the image to automatically select an
    > optimal value for Vignette Control. Where lens information is not
    > available, Vignette Control will be based on default lens charac-
    > teristics

    I can understand how Capture 3 can correct this automatically based on
    the lens type. I can also understand if the lens type is not a late
    Nikon one, how a variable control in Capture 3 can be useful. What is
    less clear to me is why one would set it on the camera if one intends
    processing the RAW file later in Capture 3.

    I can see why it would be useful to set on older lenses on the camera if
    the image is saved as JPEG.

    Personally, since I rarely use Windows and never use a Mac, I'm not
    likely to make best use of NEF files as I unlikely to run Capture 3
    much, if at all. My software will not know the characteristics of the
    Nikon lenses. My lens collection consists of only fairly recent Nikon
    lenses, but I will be buying a long telephoto which will not be the
    latest greatest model. As you say, it tends to be more of a problem in
    very wide angle lenses anyway.

    It should be relatively easy to do make your own correction for your own
    lenses by creating a filter which increases the levels as one moves away
    from the centre.

    I think I'll ask Nikon exactly what this does on the D3, as it's not
    clear I fully understand it.

    Dave, Aug 29, 2008
  13. Dave

    John Smith Guest

    Leica R9, you dumb ****.

    John Smith, Aug 29, 2008
  14. Dave

    Paul Furman Guest

    Savageduck wrote:

    > rec;

    That's short for 'recreational', ie: relax dude!

    > photo;

    > equipment;

    --> lenses apertures, shutter speeds, flash, exposure, etc
    (the stuff that 35mm photogs concern themselves with).

    > 35mm

    I'm pretty sure that refers to 35mm, which is a metric mearure

    Paul Furman, Aug 29, 2008
  15. Dave

    D-Mac Guest

    Savageduck wrote:
    > On 2008-08-28 22:10:25 -0700, David Nebenzahl <>
    > said:
    >
    >> On 8/28/2008 10:02 PM Steve spake thus:

    >>> Would it be on topic to discuss a 35mm film camera that had a digital
    >>> back on it?

    >> By the way, is there such a thing?

    > Yes there were, though I am not sure of current availability given the
    > quality of today's DSLRs.
    > There are also medium format backs for many $$$$, check
    > http://www.hasselbladusa.com/products/backs.aspx

    Leica offered a 35mm body with interchangeable backs - digital or 35mm
    for a while. I think they sold 2 or maybe 3 of them!

    D-Mac, Aug 29, 2008