    compatible with win 98,me,2000 but doesn't mention xp. (maybe that's a
    clue).
    Cheers Susie
    Susie, Jun 4, 2005

  2. Susie

    Tony Guest

    On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 13:54:02 +1200, "Susie" <> wrote:

    >hey there does anyone know how I can get my viewsonic g70fm monitor to work
    >with winxp home ed? It worked with win 98 but not now. My cd says
    >compatible with win 98,me,2000 but doesn't mention xp. (maybe that's a
    >clue).
    >Cheers Susie

    Just plug it inXP will find it..
    Tony, Jun 4, 2005

  3. Susie

    Susie Guest

    yes well I tried that. it seems to find equivilant drivers to make it work
    but not the viewsonic drivers. Under display properties settings there
    seems to be a default monitor I diddn't install Radeon 9200 PRO.
    Susie, Jun 4, 2005
  4. Susie

    Tony Guest

    On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 16:08:50 +1200, "Susie" <> wrote:

    >yes well I tried that. it seems to find equivilant drivers to make it work
    >but not the viewsonic drivers. Under display properties settings there
    >seems to be a default monitor I diddn't install Radeon 9200 PRO.

    It will not load the Vewsonic ones but XP will use its own..
    Tony, Jun 4, 2005
  5. In article <oP9oe.5113$>,
    says...
    > yes well I tried that. it seems to find equivilant drivers to make it work
    > but not the viewsonic drivers. Under display properties settings there
    > seems to be a default monitor I diddn't install Radeon 9200 PRO.

    Radeon 9200 Pro is more likely your video card, not the monitor.

    Try to go to viewsonic's website and see if they have published WinXP
    drivers. If not, you can most likely use the Windows 2000 ones - most
    Windows 2000 drivers run fine under Win XP.

    Or, as somebody already said, just let Windows XP manage the driver. It
    should be able to find a good one. If it works ...
    more important may be to import the colour temperature settings from
    your monitor's driver disk.

    -Peter
    Peter Huebner, Jun 4, 2005
  6. Susie

    Tony Guest

    On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 17:38:24 +1200, Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    >In article <oP9oe.5113$>,
    >says...
    >> yes well I tried that. it seems to find equivilant drivers to make it work
    >> but not the viewsonic drivers. Under display properties settings there
    >> seems to be a default monitor I diddn't install Radeon 9200 PRO.
    >>

    >Radeon 9200 Pro is more likely your video card, not the monitor.
    >
    >Try to go to viewsonic's website and see if they have published WinXP
    >drivers. If not, you can most likely use the Windows 2000 ones - most
    >Windows 2000 drivers run fine under Win XP.
    >
    >Or, as somebody already said, just let Windows XP manage the driver. It
    >should be able to find a good one. If it works ...
    >more important may be to import the colour temperature settings from
    >your monitor's driver disk.
    >
    >-Peter

    No drivers are listed on there web site, but it should be a Plug & Play
    monitor and will load its own XP Drivers.

    Monitor drivers are not really needed for XP.
    Tony, Jun 4, 2005
  7. Susie

    joe_90 Guest

    Susie wrote:
    > hey there does anyone know how I can get my viewsonic g70fm monitor to work
    > with winxp home ed? It worked with win 98 but not now. My cd says
    > compatible with win 98,me,2000 but doesn't mention xp. (maybe that's a
    > clue).

    ViewSonic web site offers two files for XP drivers - signed and unsigned
    - but does not specify which one supports the G70FM

    I suggest you try the signed drivers first.

    http://www.viewsonic.com/support/drivers/drivers.cfm?category=1&formName=monitor
    joe_90, Jun 4, 2005
  8. Susie

    Tony Guest

    On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 20:51:30 +1200, joe_90
    <joe_90_remove@nospam_myhttpmail.com> wrote:

    >Susie wrote:
    >> hey there does anyone know how I can get my viewsonic g70fm monitor to work
    >> with winxp home ed? It worked with win 98 but not now. My cd says
    >> compatible with win 98,me,2000 but doesn't mention xp. (maybe that's a
    >> clue).

    >ViewSonic web site offers two files for XP drivers - signed and unsigned
    > - but does not specify which one supports the G70FM
    >
    >I suggest you try the signed drivers first.
    >
    >http://www.viewsonic.com/support/drivers/drivers.cfm?category=1&formName=monitor

    You DO NOT need Drivers for a Plug & Play Monitor when using XP.

    Also there are no specific drivers for the G70FM listed..

    If fact in all cases that I have come across with other system, it was just a
    INF file.

    Even my Hitachi LCD Monitor is using the Plug & Play setup.
    Tony, Jun 4, 2005
  9. Susie

    Ripping Silk Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 20:51:30 +1200, joe_90
    > <joe_90_remove@nospam_myhttpmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Susie wrote:
    >>
    >>>hey there does anyone know how I can get my viewsonic g70fm monitor to work
    >>>with winxp home ed? It worked with win 98 but not now. My cd says
    >>>compatible with win 98,me,2000 but doesn't mention xp. (maybe that's a
    >>>clue).

    >>ViewSonic web site offers two files for XP drivers - signed and unsigned
    >> - but does not specify which one supports the G70FM
    >>
    >>I suggest you try the signed drivers first.
    >>
    >>http://www.viewsonic.com/support/drivers/drivers.cfm?category=1&formName=monitor

    > You DO NOT need Drivers for a Plug & Play Monitor when using XP.
    >
    > Also there are no specific drivers for the G70FM listed..
    >

    > If fact in all cases that I have come across with other system, it was just a
    > INF file.
    >
    > Even my Hitachi LCD Monitor is using the Plug & Play setup.

    Altho you don't need proprietary drivers, Viewsonic do have (or have
    had) a unified file that contains 'inf' files for all their monitors.
    Ripping Silk, Jun 6, 2005
  10. Susie

    Rob J Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on
    Sat, 04 Jun 2005 17:52:32 +1200, Tony <> says...
    > On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 17:38:24 +1200, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <oP9oe.5113$>,
    > >says...
    > >> yes well I tried that. it seems to find equivilant drivers to make it work
    > >> but not the viewsonic drivers. Under display properties settings there
    > >> seems to be a default monitor I diddn't install Radeon 9200 PRO.
    > >>

    > >Radeon 9200 Pro is more likely your video card, not the monitor.
    > >
    > >Try to go to viewsonic's website and see if they have published WinXP
    > >drivers. If not, you can most likely use the Windows 2000 ones - most
    > >Windows 2000 drivers run fine under Win XP.
    > >
    > >Or, as somebody already said, just let Windows XP manage the driver. It
    > >should be able to find a good one. If it works ...
    > >more important may be to import the colour temperature settings from
    > >your monitor's driver disk.
    > >
    > >-Peter

    > No drivers are listed on there web site, but it should be a Plug & Play
    > monitor and will load its own XP Drivers.
    >
    > Monitor drivers are not really needed for XP.

    Wrong, monitor drivers are needed for all displays. They help the PC to
    find out what modes the display can support.

    Windows XP would not run a 17" Philips LCD screen we had at 1024x768
    until the Philips drivers for it were installed.

    If Windows doesn't know what kind of display you have, you won't be able
    to change the refresh rate.
    Rob J, Jun 8, 2005
  11. Susie

    Rob J Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on
    Sat, 04 Jun 2005 22:15:01 +1200, Tony <> says...
    > On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 20:51:30 +1200, joe_90
    > <joe_90_remove@nospam_myhttpmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Susie wrote:
    > >> hey there does anyone know how I can get my viewsonic g70fm monitor to work
    > >> with winxp home ed? It worked with win 98 but not now. My cd says
    > >> compatible with win 98,me,2000 but doesn't mention xp. (maybe that's a
    > >> clue).

    > >ViewSonic web site offers two files for XP drivers - signed and unsigned
    > > - but does not specify which one supports the G70FM
    > >
    > >I suggest you try the signed drivers first.
    > >
    > >http://www.viewsonic.com/support/drivers/drivers.cfm?category=1&formName=monitor

    > You DO NOT need Drivers for a Plug & Play Monitor when using XP.

    Wrong.

    Windows includes a lot of INF files for different makes and models of
    monitors. It detects the specific type of monitor at startup and loads
    the drivers, if it can find one. If not, you won't be able to use the
    highest resolution settings or refresh rates.

    > Also there are no specific drivers for the G70FM listed..
    >

    > If fact in all cases that I have come across with other system, it was just a
    > INF file.
    >
    > Even my Hitachi LCD Monitor is using the Plug & Play setup.

    Even X-Windows on Linux needs configuration information about the
    hardware it is displaying on.
    Rob J, Jun 8, 2005
  12. Susie

    Bling-Bling Guest

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:30:38 +1200, Rob J wrote:

    > If Windows doesn't know what kind of display you have, you won't be able
    > to change the refresh rate.

    Sounds like Micro$oft dictating to you what you can and cannot do with
    your computer. If you know what refresh rates your monitor does support,
    then why not simply be able to tell the OS what refresh rate you want it
    to use?

    Bling Bling

    --
    Groklaw: "Seriously, the problem Microsoft has with its FUD is this: it waited
    too long. Too many solid, upstanding, capitalist corporations now believe in
    Bling-Bling, Jun 8, 2005
  13. Rob J wrote:
    >>No drivers are listed on there web site, but it should be a Plug & Play
    >>monitor and will load its own XP Drivers.
    >>Monitor drivers are not really needed for XP.

    > Wrong, monitor drivers are needed for all displays. They help the PC to
    > find out what modes the display can support.
    >
    > Windows XP would not run a 17" Philips LCD screen we had at 1024x768
    > until the Philips drivers for it were installed.

    you don't necessarily need the specific drivers for that monitor...
    personally I almost always use the 1600x1200~85hz drivers that windows
    lists as generic ones... none of the monitors I have owned have ever
    been better than that, so all has been well.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 8, 2005
  14. Bling-Bling wrote:
    >>If Windows doesn't know what kind of display you have, you won't be able
    >>to change the refresh rate.

    > Sounds like Micro$oft dictating to you what you can and cannot do with
    > your computer. If you know what refresh rates your monitor does support,
    > then why not simply be able to tell the OS what refresh rate you want it
    > to use?

    you really shouldn't comment on things that you know nothing about, it
    is possible, but just as with x-windows, you have to tell it what the
    monitor is capable.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 8, 2005
  15. Susie

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:30:38 +1200, Rob J wrote:

    > Wrong, monitor drivers are needed for all displays. They help the PC to
    > find out what modes the display can support.
    >
    > Windows XP would not run a 17" Philips LCD screen we had at 1024x768 until
    > the Philips drivers for it were installed.
    >
    > If Windows doesn't know what kind of display you have, you won't be able
    > to change the refresh rate.

    You're not confusing 'drivers' with inf files are you?

    Here is my understanding based on W2K as the latest (corrections welcome):

    Windows didn't have monitor drivers as such. It did ship with a bunch of
    inf files that described the settings of lots of monitors though, and
    monitor vendors will supply ones for newer models (like with your Philips).

    Drivers are code that the kernel runs. There aren't monitor drivers,
    because the kernel doesn't control the monitor. The kernel controls the
    video driver and uses the monitor inf files to make sure it doesn't
    tell the video card to exceed the capabilities of the monitor.

    This was the same thing with hardware modems - the 'driver' was just an
    inf file describing the modems capabilities. Of course soft modems now
    have drivers because the kernel does actually control the modem.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jun 8, 2005
  16. Susie

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 14:30:38 +1200, Rob J <> wrote:

    >In article <> in nz.comp on
    >Sat, 04 Jun 2005 17:52:32 +1200, Tony <> says...
    >> On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 17:38:24 +1200, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <oP9oe.5113$>,
    >> >says...
    >> >>

    >> >Radeon 9200 Pro is more likely your video card, not the monitor.
    >> >
    >> >Try to go to viewsonic's website and see if they have published WinXP
    >> >drivers. If not, you can most likely use the Windows 2000 ones - most
    >> >Windows 2000 drivers run fine under Win XP.
    >> >
    >> >Or, as somebody already said, just let Windows XP manage the driver. It
    >> >should be able to find a good one. If it works ...
    >> >more important may be to import the colour temperature settings from
    >> >your monitor's driver disk.
    >> >
    >> >-Peter

    >> No drivers are listed on there web site, but it should be a Plug & Play
    >> monitor and will load its own XP Drivers.
    >>
    >> Monitor drivers are not really needed for XP.

    >Wrong, monitor drivers are needed for all displays. They help the PC to
    >find out what modes the display can support.

    No I am Right, most Monitors are Plug & Play, NO DRIVERS NEEDED AT ALL.

    >Windows XP would not run a 17" Philips LCD screen we had at 1024x768
    >until the Philips drivers for it were installed.

    My LCD screen work ok with the Plug & Play drivers and lists all the monitor
    scan rates.

    >If Windows doesn't know what kind of display you have, you won't be able
    >to change the refresh rate.

    It gets it from the Monitor as a Plug & Play device.

    You do need to do some reading into this matter as you just don't seem to know
    much about computers..
    Tony, Jun 8, 2005
  17. Susie

    Tony Guest

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 15:46:43 +1200, "AD." <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:30:38 +1200, Rob J wrote:
    >
    >> Wrong, monitor drivers are needed for all displays. They help the PC to
    >> find out what modes the display can support.
    >>
    >> Windows XP would not run a 17" Philips LCD screen we had at 1024x768 until
    >> the Philips drivers for it were installed.
    >>
    >> If Windows doesn't know what kind of display you have, you won't be able
    >> to change the refresh rate.

    >You're not confusing 'drivers' with inf files are you?
    >
    >Here is my understanding based on W2K as the latest (corrections welcome):
    >
    >Windows didn't have monitor drivers as such. It did ship with a bunch of
    >inf files that described the settings of lots of monitors though, and
    >monitor vendors will supply ones for newer models (like with your Philips).
    >
    >Drivers are code that the kernel runs. There aren't monitor drivers,
    >because the kernel doesn't control the monitor. The kernel controls the
    >video driver and uses the monitor inf files to make sure it doesn't
    >tell the video card to exceed the capabilities of the monitor.
    >
    >This was the same thing with hardware modems - the 'driver' was just an
    >inf file describing the modems capabilities. Of course soft modems now
    >have drivers because the kernel does actually control the modem.

    My Hitachi LCD is using the Plug & Play driver and is listed as a MS Driver
    5.1.2001.0

    When selecting Drivers it states no driver loaded or required for this
    device..

    The MS Plug & Play Driver is dated 6.6.2001 way before the monitor came out
    and before XP came out..

    I rest my case..
    Tony, Jun 8, 2005
  18. Susie

    Rob J Guest

    In article <pan.2005.06.08.02.43.18.923197@TRACKER> in nz.comp on Wed, 08
    Jun 2005 14:43:18 +1200, Bling-Bling <> says...
    > On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:30:38 +1200, Rob J wrote:
    >
    > > If Windows doesn't know what kind of display you have, you won't be able
    > > to change the refresh rate.

    > Sounds like Micro$oft dictating to you what you can and cannot do with
    > your computer. If you know what refresh rates your monitor does support,
    > then why not simply be able to tell the OS what refresh rate you want it
    > to use?

    X-Windows has to be given similar configuration information before it
    knows how to display on a particular screen.

    Each monitor comes with a number of different modes; the refresh rate
    available depends on what mode the monitor is in at any particular time.

    For example, a Compaq screen I was looking at the other day would only do
    60 Hz at 1024x768, but at 800x600 it would do 60 72 75 or 85 Hz.
    Rob J, Jun 8, 2005