ViewNX - Adnormal Terminations?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by William Jones, Mar 4, 2009.

  1. I need help.

    My copy of ViewNX (version 1.2.2) regularly and abruptly terminates without
    reason when trying to simply browse through subfolders on my hard drives.

    I have ALL of the latest Nikon updates, Microsoft XP Pro updates, Norton AV
    2009 updates, Windows Defender updates, etc.

    This has happened repeatedly over the past year or so, in spite of
    reinstalling ViewNX (and all other Nikon software) a number of times.

    ViewNX is the ONLY application on my computer that terminates abnormally
    like this.

    Does anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Bill
    William Jones, Mar 4, 2009

  2. William Jones

    Nospam Guest

    In message <%4Arl.53069$>, William Jones
    <> writes
    >I need help.
    >

    >My copy of ViewNX (version 1.2.2) regularly and abruptly terminates without
    >reason when trying to simply browse through subfolders on my hard drives.
    >

    >I have ALL of the latest Nikon updates, Microsoft XP Pro updates, Norton AV
    >2009 updates, Windows Defender updates, etc.
    >

    >This has happened repeatedly over the past year or so, in spite of
    >reinstalling ViewNX (and all other Nikon software) a number of times.
    >

    >ViewNX is the ONLY application on my computer that terminates abnormally
    >like this.
    >

    >Does anyone have any ideas?
    >

    >Thanks,
    >
    >Bill

    I have the same problem.

    According to Nikon it is my machine, faulty memory or a dodgy software
    installation.

    However it is the ONLY program that does this all other programs work
    without problem.

    They advised me to upgrade my .Net to the latest version (3.0)

    but that didn't fix it.

    So its a nice program that is a pin to use!

    pity

    --
    Nospam
    Nospam, Mar 4, 2009

  3. Re: ViewNX - Abnormal Terminations?

    Nikon's full of shit on this one. I have 30 years of experience in IT, and
    there's NOTHING wrong with my machine, my memory, my O/S, or my installs.

    Like you, ViewNX is the ONLY app that terminates like this without notice.

    Attention Nikon: Canon just LOVES this kind of incompetence by you. Wake up!

    Sigh....

    William Jones, Mar 4, 2009
  4. William Jones

    Guest

    On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 10:51:35 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "William Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >I need help.
    >

    >My copy of ViewNX (version 1.2.2) regularly and abruptly terminates without
    >reason when trying to simply browse through subfolders on my hard drives.
    >

    >I have ALL of the latest Nikon updates, Microsoft XP Pro updates, Norton AV
    >2009 updates, Windows Defender updates, etc.
    >

    >This has happened repeatedly over the past year or so, in spite of
    >reinstalling ViewNX (and all other Nikon software) a number of times.
    >

    >ViewNX is the ONLY application on my computer that terminates abnormally
    >like this.
    >

    >Does anyone have any ideas?

    Yes, ever think of using google?
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=nikon viewnx crashes&btnG=Search

    First entry is:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=26412296
    Which would seem to point to a registry issue. and possible solutions on
    the us nikon tech support site.
    , Mar 4, 2009
  5. Couldn't you have just posted a reply without the smartass "ever think of
    using Google"? Why do people like you always have to add some insult, some
    condescension, some jab?

    I had ALREADY seen that link (yes, I found it using Google). And the reason
    I posted my question was because I had never installed Nikon View. So this
    particular DP Review page is irrelevant.

    My Registry is spotless.

    Now, once again do you have any (constructive this time...) ideas?

    William Jones, Mar 5, 2009
  6. William Jones

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    I really like your reply to these "condescending" bungholes.

    Ed Mullikin, Mar 5, 2009
  7. William Jones

    N Guest

    >I need help.
    >

    > My copy of ViewNX (version 1.2.2) regularly and abruptly terminates
    > without reason when trying to simply browse through subfolders on my hard
    > drives.
    >

    > I have ALL of the latest Nikon updates, Microsoft XP Pro updates, Norton
    > AV 2009 updates, Windows Defender updates, etc.
    >

    > This has happened repeatedly over the past year or so, in spite of
    > reinstalling ViewNX (and all other Nikon software) a number of times.
    >

    > ViewNX is the ONLY application on my computer that terminates abnormally
    > like this.
    >

    > Does anyone have any ideas?
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bill

    Does it write anything to the event log when it crashes?
    N, Mar 5, 2009
  8. William Jones

    Dave Cohen Guest

    William Jones wrote:
    > Couldn't you have just posted a reply without the smartass "ever think of
    > using Google"? Why do people like you always have to add some insult, some
    > condescension, some jab?
    >
    > I had ALREADY seen that link (yes, I found it using Google). And the reason
    > I posted my question was because I had never installed Nikon View. So this
    > particular DP Review page is irrelevant.
    >
    > My Registry is spotless.
    >
    > Now, once again do you have any (constructive this time...) ideas?
    >

    > <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 10:51:35 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "William Jones"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I need help.
    >>>

    >>> My copy of ViewNX (version 1.2.2) regularly and abruptly terminates
    >>> without
    >>> reason when trying to simply browse through subfolders on my hard drives.
    >>>

    >>> I have ALL of the latest Nikon updates, Microsoft XP Pro updates, Norton
    >>> AV
    >>> 2009 updates, Windows Defender updates, etc.
    >>>

    >>> This has happened repeatedly over the past year or so, in spite of
    >>> reinstalling ViewNX (and all other Nikon software) a number of times.
    >>>

    >>> ViewNX is the ONLY application on my computer that terminates abnormally
    >>> like this.
    >>>

    >>> Does anyone have any ideas?

    >> Yes, ever think of using google?
    >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=nikon viewnx crashes&btnG=Search
    >>
    >> First entry is:
    >> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=26412296
    >> Which would seem to point to a registry issue. and possible solutions on
    >> the us nikon tech support site.

    Further more it's irrelevant since one isn't supposed to be an IT expert
    in order to install a program under windows.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Mar 5, 2009
  9. Yes, it does, and I've forwarded that to Nikon. They've not answered...

    William Jones, Mar 5, 2009
  10. William Jones

    Guest

    On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 16:04:52 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "William Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Couldn't you have just posted a reply without the smartass "ever think of
    >using Google"? Why do people like you always have to add some insult, some
    >condescension, some jab?

    Because you came here and apparently couldn't be bothered to take the small
    effort to post what build your OS is at or what rev your dotnet20/30/3.5 is
    at., or what other Nikon SW you have installed, or what other steps you
    have tried, Registry cleaning, checking file system integrity. Loading apps
    in different order or swapping memory chips around to possibly diagnose an
    HW problem.

    >I had ALREADY seen that link (yes, I found it using Google). And the reason
    >I posted my question was because I had never installed Nikon View. So this
    >particular DP Review page is irrelevant.
    >
    >My Registry is spotless.
    >
    >Now, once again do you have any (constructive this time...) ideas?

    So did you find the other DPR forum thread that talked about dotnet and
    other runtime libs fixes/updates?
    , Mar 6, 2009
  11. You dumb ****. I DID post the OS (Win XP Pro SP3), and I asked the
    questions here because 1) I had already contacted Nikon to no avail, 2) I
    had already seen the Registry Sweeper recommendation on DP Review, 3) the
    Sweeper did NO good at all, and 4) this IS the Usenet, a place where normal,
    healthy humans post questions for one another and help each other out.

    You, on the other hand, are one sick ****. They have help for people like
    you: It's called Prozac. Or Lithium. Or Preparation H. Or perhaps in your
    case, just take all three. In either orifice.

    William Jones, Mar 6, 2009
  12. William Jones

    Guest

    On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 00:41:24 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "William Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >You dumb ****. I DID post the OS (Win XP Pro SP3), and I asked the
    >questions here because 1) I had already contacted Nikon to no avail, 2) I
    >had already seen the Registry Sweeper recommendation on DP Review, 3) the
    >Sweeper did NO good at all, and 4) this IS the Usenet, a place where normal,
    >healthy humans post questions for one another and help each other out.
    >You, on the other hand, are one sick ****. They have help for people like
    >you: It's called Prozac. Or Lithium. Or Preparation H. Or perhaps in your
    >case, just take all three. In either orifice.

    And in your spewing and spitting did you take the time to look at the
    thread and find the info where one poster seemed to narrow the problem down
    to the AV and ad blocker programs they were running? I doubt it. Just
    because you have the latest updates doesn't mean they aren't part of the
    problem. But then I guess you just really want to spout and call people
    names who don't happen to use the same OS as you and simple ask for
    specific info on it's configuration. Pardon my ignorance in really trying
    to understand your system build and what might be the cause of your
    troubles.
    , Mar 7, 2009
  13. Memine,

    It has NOTHING to do with AV or blocker programs. Try again.

    William Jones, Mar 7, 2009
  14. William Jones

    Bob Larter Guest

    William Jones wrote:
    > You dumb ****. I DID post the OS (Win XP Pro SP3), and I asked the
    > questions here because 1) I had already contacted Nikon to no avail, 2) I
    > had already seen the Registry Sweeper recommendation on DP Review, 3) the
    > Sweeper did NO good at all, and 4) this IS the Usenet, a place where normal,
    > healthy humans post questions for one another and help each other out.
    >
    > You, on the other hand, are one sick ****. They have help for people like
    > you: It's called Prozac. Or Lithium. Or Preparation H. Or perhaps in your
    > case, just take all three. In either orifice.

    LOL.

    Nice response. Well deserved too.

    Bob Larter, Mar 15, 2009