Viewing postings on Newsgroups

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paranoid Paul, Jan 30, 2006.

  1. Can someone help me, I've sent messages to a particular newsgroup, which are
    appearing in my sent items. I've been on google and gone in advanced
    search, and found my posting on the site, but why isn't it showing on the
    newsgroup when I view them through Outlook 2000???


    Thanks

    Janet
     
    Paranoid Paul, Jan 30, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Paranoid Paul

    Gordon Guest

    Paranoid Paul wrote:
    > Can someone help me, I've sent messages to a particular newsgroup,
    > which are appearing in my sent items. I've been on google and gone
    > in advanced search, and found my posting on the site, but why isn't
    > it showing on the newsgroup when I view them through Outlook 2000???
    >
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Janet


    Probably because Outlook doesn't DO news. Presumably you mean Outlook
    EXPRESS, and if so what version? (There IS no OE 2000 BTW)
     
    Gordon, Jan 30, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Paranoid Paul wrote:

    Can someone help me, I've sent messages to a particular newsgroup, which are
    >appearing in my sent items. I've been on google and gone in advanced
    >search, and found my posting on the site, but why isn't it showing on the
    >newsgroup when I view them through Outlook 2000???
    >
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Janet
    >
    >
    >
    >


    Does that suggest anything else which belongs to you?
     
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
    #3
  4. Re: Re: Viewing postings on Newsgroups

    Gordon wrote:

    Paranoid Paul wrote:
    >
    >Probably because Outlook doesn't DO news. Presumably you mean Outlook
    >EXPRESS, and if so what version? (There IS no OE 2000 BTW)
    >
    >
    >
    >


    Do you wish that so what version?
     
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
    #4
  5. Should say Outlook Express, sorry


    "Paranoid Paul" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Can someone help me, I've sent messages to a particular newsgroup, which
    > are appearing in my sent items. I've been on google and gone in advanced
    > search, and found my posting on the site, but why isn't it showing on the
    > newsgroup when I view them through Outlook 2000???
    >
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Janet
    >
     
    Paranoid Paul, Jan 30, 2006
    #5
  6. Re: Re: Viewing postings on Newsgroups

    Paranoid Paul wrote:

    Should say Outlook Express, sorry
    >
    >
    >news:...
    >
    >
    >
    >


    Apologies are not necessary.
     
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
    #6
  7. Paranoid Paul

    Mike Easter Guest

    Paranoid Paul wrote:
    > Thanks
    >
    > Janet


    > Can someone help me,


    You should get your identity straightened out. If Janet and Paul are
    going to use the same computer, they should have separate identities in
    Windows or OE.

    > I've sent messages to a particular newsgroup,
    > which are appearing in my sent items.


    You are posting here via a news calling itself news.pipex.net or
    nntp.pipex.net, neither of which resolve -- and pipex.net requires a
    login to get any help or server information -- so I don't know the name
    of your newsserver.

    > I've been on google and gone
    > in advanced search, and found my posting on the site, but why isn't
    > it showing on the newsgroup when I view them through Outlook 2000???


    ITYM OE6.

    In order to see messages on an nntp newsserver, you will need to have a
    newsserver account, which you apparently do, even tho' I don't know its
    name. You should be able to view your initial message you posted here
    by clicking this link

    news:

    There are several methods by which you could have configured your
    newsreader to prevent viewing of certain news messages including your
    own in the message rules section.or blocked senders.


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Jan 30, 2006
    #7
  8. Paranoid Paul

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-01-30, Paranoid Paul <> wrote:
    > Can someone help me, I've sent messages to a particular newsgroup, which are
    > appearing in my sent items. I've been on google and gone in advanced
    > search, and found my posting on the site, but why isn't it showing on the
    > newsgroup when I view them through Outlook 2000???
    >
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Janet


    Google lags badly; it can take hours even when their system is working
    properly.

    Is the group 'moderated'? If so, you are at the mercy of the moderator -
    if there still is one; if there isn't one then you could be in for a very
    long wait.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    -- ~~~~~~~~~~
     
    Whiskers, Jan 30, 2006
    #8
  9. Re: Re: Viewing postings on Newsgroups

    Mike Easter wrote:

    Paranoid Paul wrote:
    >
    >
    >You should get your identity straightened out. If Janet and Paul are
    >going to use the same computer, they should have separate identities in
    >Windows or OE.
    >
    >
    >You are posting here via a news calling itself news.pipex.net or
    >nntp.pipex.net, neither of which resolve -- and pipex.net requires a
    >login to get any help or server information -- so I don't know the name
    >of your newsserver.
    >
    >
    >ITYM OE6.
    >
    >In order to see messages on an nntp newsserver, you will need to have a
    >newsserver account, which you apparently do, even tho' I don't know its
    >name. You should be able to view your initial message you posted here
    >by clicking this link
    >
    >news:
    >
    >There are several methods by which you could have configured your
    >newsreader to prevent viewing of certain news messages including your
    >own in the message rules section.or blocked senders.
    >
    >
    >


    Do computers worry you?
     
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
    #9
  10. Re: Re: Viewing postings on Newsgroups

    Whiskers wrote:


    >Google lags badly; it can take hours even when their system is working
    >properly.
    >
    >Is the group 'moderated'? If so, you are at the mercy of the moderator -
    >if there still is one; if there isn't one then you could be in for a very
    >long wait.
    >
    >--
    >-- ^^^^^^^^^^
    >-- Whiskers
    >


    But what are the chances that so?
     
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
    #10
  11. On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:15:56 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Paranoid Paul wrote:
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Janet

    >
    >> Can someone help me,

    >
    > You should get your identity straightened out. If Janet and Paul are
    > going to use the same computer, they should have separate identities in
    > Windows or OE.


    Or it might just have a bit of gender uncertainty. :)


    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
     
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 30, 2006
    #11
  12. Paranoid Paul

    Mike Easter Guest

    Paranoid Paul wrote:
    > Can someone help me, I've sent messages to a particular newsgroup,
    > which are appearing in my sent items. I've been on google and gone
    > in advanced search, and found my posting on the site, but why isn't
    > it showing on the newsgroup when I view them through Outlook 2000???


    There is another nntp phenomenon which can cause your post to not appear
    if you don't take note of how the followups are handled.

    If you post a reply to a message whose followups are directed to another
    group, you won't see your message unless you go visit that group.

    Further, if you post a reply to a message whose followups are directed
    to both the group you are reading the OP in as well as a moderated
    group, and you are not approved to post to the moderated group, then
    your reply will not appear in the unmoderated or the moderated group.

    As an example for the group where both the Paul from persona as well as
    the Janet persona post, namely uk.rec.competitions -- there was recently
    a post in that ng whose followups f/ups were directed to alt.dev.null.

    alt.dev.null is a moderated ng which is self moderated and which needs
    an Approved: line in a postings headers. If you reply to a message like
    that, your message will not appear anywhere, because your newsreader
    cannot put an Approved: line in its headers.

    If someone else in uk.rec.competitions is performing similar maneuvers,
    some particular message of yours may disappear if you don't pay
    attention to how the f/ups are handled.

    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Jan 30, 2006
    #12
  13. Paranoid Paul

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > You are posting here via a news calling itself news.pipex.net or
    > nntp.pipex.net, neither of which resolve -- and pipex.net requires a
    > login to get any help or server information -- so I don't know the
    > name of your newsserver.


    Ha. I figgered out how to get in. The newsserver's name is
    nntp.dsl.pipex.com which is a giganews server.


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Jan 30, 2006
    #13
  14. Paranoid Paul

    gangle Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" wrote
    > On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:15:56 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    > > Paranoid Paul wrote:
    > >> Thanks
    > >>
    > >> Janet

    > >
    > >> Can someone help me,

    > >
    > > You should get your identity straightened out. If Janet and Paul are
    > > going to use the same computer, they should have separate identities in
    > > Windows or OE.

    >
    > Or it might just have a bit of gender uncertainty. :)


    Or multiple personalitles.
     
    gangle, Jan 30, 2006
    #14
  15. Paranoid Paul

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Paranoid Paul spewed forth:
    > Can someone help me, I've sent messages to a particular newsgroup,
    > which are appearing in my sent items. I've been on google and gone
    > in advanced search, and found my posting on the site, but why isn't
    > it showing on the newsgroup when I view them through Outlook 2000???
    >
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Janet


    Probably because they know who are and didn't want to talk to you. Kinda
    like letting the phone ring long enough to get the caller ID displayed...

    --
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
     
    Toolman Tim, Jan 30, 2006
    #15
  16. Paranoid Paul

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:p,
    Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
    > On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:35:37 -0800, gangle wrote:
    >
    >> "Blinky the Shark" wrote
    >>> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:15:56 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Paranoid Paul wrote:
    >>>>> Thanks
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Janet
    >>>>
    >>>>> Can someone help me,
    >>>>
    >>>> You should get your identity straightened out. If Janet and Paul
    >>>> are going to use the same computer, they should have separate
    >>>> identities in Windows or OE.
    >>>
    >>> Or it might just have a bit of gender uncertainty. :)

    >>
    >> Or multiple personalitles.

    >
    > Or dorkiness. Crissakes, even if I had a grilf/spouse right now, I
    > wouldn't allow a Biff'n'Susie joint address within 400 feet of this
    > (or any) computer. :)
    >
    > Must be newlyweds; bet they wear matching shirts, too.


    Probably. If Paul is paranoid, he's most likely not wearing the pants in the
    family.

    --
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
     
    Toolman Tim, Jan 30, 2006
    #16
  17. On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:35:37 -0800, gangle wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" wrote
    >> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:15:56 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:
    >>
    >> > Paranoid Paul wrote:
    >> >> Thanks
    >> >>
    >> >> Janet
    >> >
    >> >> Can someone help me,
    >> >
    >> > You should get your identity straightened out. If Janet and Paul are
    >> > going to use the same computer, they should have separate identities
    >> > in Windows or OE.

    >>
    >> Or it might just have a bit of gender uncertainty. :)

    >
    > Or multiple personalitles.


    Or dorkiness. Crissakes, even if I had a grilf/spouse right now, I
    wouldn't allow a Biff'n'Susie joint address within 400 feet of this (or
    any) computer. :)

    Must be newlyweds; bet they wear matching shirts, too.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
     
    Blinky the Shark, Jan 30, 2006
    #17
  18. Re: Re: Viewing postings on Newsgroups

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:15:56 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >
    >Or it might just have a bit of gender uncertainty. :)
    >
    >
    >


    Please go on.
     
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
    #18
  19. Re: Re: Viewing postings on Newsgroups

    Mike Easter wrote:

    Paranoid Paul wrote:
    >
    >There is another nntp phenomenon which can cause your post to not appear
    >if you don't take note of how the followups are handled.
    >
    >If you post a reply to a message whose followups are directed to another
    >group, you won't see your message unless you go visit that group.
    >
    >Further, if you post a reply to a message whose followups are directed
    >to both the group you are reading the OP in as well as a moderated
    >group, and you are not approved to post to the moderated group, then
    >your reply will not appear in the unmoderated or the moderated group.
    >
    >As an example for the group where both the Paul from persona as well as
    >the Janet persona post, namely uk.rec.competitions -- there was recently
    >a post in that ng whose followups f/ups were directed to alt.dev.null.
    >
    >alt.dev.null is a moderated ng which is self moderated and which needs
    >an Approved: line in a postings headers. If you reply to a message like
    >that, your message will not appear anywhere, because your newsreader
    >cannot put an Approved: line in its headers.
    >
    >If someone else in uk.rec.competitions is performing similar maneuvers,
    >some particular message of yours may disappear if you don't pay
    >attention to how the f/ups are handled.
    >
    >


    Do you wish that me don't take note of how the followups are handled?
     
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
    #19
  20. Re: Re: Viewing postings on Newsgroups

    Mike Easter wrote:

    Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >
    >Ha. I figgered out how to get in. The newsserver's name is
    >nntp.dsl.pipex.com which is a giganews server.
    >
    >
    >


    I've told you before, I don't care about names -- please continue.
     
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Gary
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    379
  2. Ray Donzdorf

    PC Viewing vs DVD Player Viewing - MP3 play very fast

    Ray Donzdorf, Dec 11, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    748
    Ray Donzdorf
    Dec 11, 2004
  3. robin
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    450
  4. Ere Walker

    How to track IP on newsgroups postings

    Ere Walker, Feb 7, 2004, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    551
    Ere Walker
    Feb 7, 2004
  5. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Top 100 text newsgroups by postings

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Jun 20, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    446
    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤
    Jun 20, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page