    Bill Kean Guest

    I'm new to newsgroups. When I download a picture the message is all
    encrypted with blocks and stuff. How do I reset to vies jpg and other files?

    Bill Kean, Oct 15, 2005

  2. Bill Kean wrote:
    > I'm new to newsgroups. When I download a picture the message is all
    > encrypted with blocks and stuff. How do I reset to vies jpg and other files?

    Worst choice: look up combine and decode in your newsreader's help
    files/web pages (0utlook Express).

    Best choice: get a decent news reader, like XNews. Or Forte Agent (the
    free version is okay, the pay version is better).

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Oct 16, 2005

  3. On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:43:27 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Bill Kean wrote:
    >> I'm new to newsgroups. When I download a picture the message is all
    >> encrypted with blocks and stuff. How do I reset to vies jpg and other files?

    >Worst choice: look up combine and decode in your newsreader's help
    >files/web pages (0utlook Express).
    >
    >Best choice: get a decent news reader, like XNews. Or Forte Agent (the
    >free version is okay, the pay version is better).

    Even the registered version of Forte Agent that I'm using (2.0/32.652)
    doesn't seem to allow the alt groups, which Outlook Express and Opera
    will. Am curious to know whether the much acclaimed XNews will also
    accomodate alt groups?

    digger o'dell, Oct 16, 2005
  4. digger o'dell wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:43:27 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >

    >>Bill Kean wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm new to newsgroups. When I download a picture the message is all
    >>>encrypted with blocks and stuff. How do I reset to vies jpg and other files?

    >>Worst choice: look up combine and decode in your newsreader's help
    >>files/web pages (0utlook Express).
    >>
    >>Best choice: get a decent news reader, like XNews. Or Forte Agent (the
    >>free version is okay, the pay version is better).

    > Even the registered version of Forte Agent that I'm using (2.0/32.652)
    > doesn't seem to allow the alt groups, which Outlook Express and Opera
    > will. Am curious to know whether the much acclaimed XNews will also
    > accomodate alt groups?

    Not sure what you're smoking, but these programs do *not* discriminate
    between alt and other hierarchies. Your Usenet provider may be doing
    some tricks, but these programs will read any message on any group if
    it's on your Usenet server. In any event, XNews is excellent. I do like it.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Oct 16, 2005
  5. Bill Kean

    Trax Guest

    digger o'dell <> wrote:

    |>>Worst choice: look up combine and decode in your newsreader's help
    |>>files/web pages (0utlook Express).
    |>>
    |>>Best choice: get a decent news reader, like XNews. Or Forte Agent (the
    |>>free version is okay, the pay version is better).

    |>Even the registered version of Forte Agent that I'm using (2.0/32.652)
    |>doesn't seem to allow the alt groups, which Outlook Express and Opera
    |>will. Am curious to know whether the much acclaimed XNews will also
    |>accomodate alt groups?

    On the first screen at the top left is <something> groups, click on it
    to display ALL GROUPS.

    --
    Remember Commander Keen?
    http://www.glenrhodes.com/flashkeen/

    Trax, Oct 16, 2005
  6. digger o'dell wrote:

    > yOn Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:43:27 -0400, Rôgêr <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Bill Kean wrote:
    >>> I'm new to newsgroups. When I download a picture the message
    >>> is all encrypted with blocks and stuff. How do I reset to vies
    >>> jpg and other files?

    >>Worst choice: look up combine and decode in your newsreader's
    >>help files/web pages (0utlook Express).
    >>
    >>Best choice: get a decent news reader, like XNews. Or Forte
    >>Agent (the free version is okay, the pay version is better).

    > Even the registered version of Forte Agent that I'm using
    > (2.0/32.652) doesn't seem to allow the alt groups, which Outlook

    Digger! Step away from the crack pipe! FA and A don't care what
    groups they download, if they're on the server.

    > Express and Opera will. Am curious to know whether the much
    > acclaimed XNews will also accomodate alt groups?

    Of course it will, as will FA and A.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all Google Groups posts.

    Blinky the Shark, Oct 16, 2005
  7. Bill Kean

    gangle Guest

    "Bill Kean" wrote
    > I'm new to newsgroups. When I download a picture the message is all
    > encrypted with blocks and stuff. How do I reset to vies jpg and other files?

    OE doesn't decode yEnc. Here's my canned answer
    for this type of OE/binary problem question:

    To assemble a multi-part post using Outlook Express,
    click part 1, then, while holding down the Ctrl key,
    click each of the remaining parts. When you have
    highlighted the last part, Right click and choose
    "Combine and Decode." Make sure all parts are in
    order in the window that pops up, then click "OK."
    When all parts have downloaded and been decoded,
    a window will appear with the File Icon in the
    bottom left corner (OE4) or in the "Attach"
    line (OE5 & 6). Right click on the icon, choose
    "save as" and, within the browser window that
    appears, choose "Desktop" as the place to initially
    save it. If you want to keep it, you can later CUT and
    PASTE it from Desktop to any folder you want.

    IMPORTANT NOTE: In OE4 it is possible to download
    a multi-part binary while simultaneously reading or
    posting to other NGs, or reading/sending email -- But:
    in the "upgraded" OE5 & 6, downloading a multi-part file
    makes the program UNUSABLE for most other functions
    while the process goes on; so, if you frequently want to
    download multi-part binary files, it's more practical
    to use a dedicated news reading and posting program,
    such as Agent ("Full" Agent @ $29 -- NOT Free Agent):
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.htm
    or Xnews (free):
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    or Gravity (free):
    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html
    for downloading binaries.
    Also, for $35, there is Newsbin, which is strictly
    for downloading binaries (no text):
    http://www.newsbin.com/ .
    You could still use OE 4, 5, or 6 as an email program
    and to view/post to text-only NGs, while using one of
    the above programs to retrieve binaries.

    About yEnc:

    yEnc is a type of binary-to-text encoding that has much
    less text "overhead" (about 3% more than the actual file
    size) than Uuencoded files (about 30% more than actual
    file size). For example, a 10 MB video file will be -- when
    converted to text for uploading and downloading:
    With yEnc: 10.3 MB -- With Uuencoding: 13 MB.
    So, it's easy to see why it's more efficient for both
    uploaders and downloaders to use yEnc.
    Unfortunately, OE does not internally decode yEnc
    encoded binaries, and never will because Microsoft
    just doesn't give a shit about OE as a newsreader.
    You must use a 3rd-party program to achieve this, the
    easiest being yProxy:
    http://www.brawnylads.com/software/ , but 3rd-party
    software is cumbersome at best. Since most multipart
    binaries are uploaded using yEnc, you really need to
    install and learn to use a dedicated news reader that
    decodes yEnc internally -- see the list above above
    (or do a search for "newsreaders").

    About RARs and PARs:

    RAR is widely used to archive multimedia type files (.avi,
    ..mpg, .mov, .rm, etc.) splitting them into sequentially
    numbered RAR parts. You need WinRar to decompress
    and reassemble the archive so that the multimedia file
    can be extracted:
    http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
    (shareware, but always usable, even after the trial period).
    Tutorial:
    http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=5

    PAR or PAR2 files are "wild card" type files used to
    replace any RAR files that are incomplete/missing
    due to poor propagation by a news server.
    Tutorial:
    http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=6

    Also, if you're going to download a lot of
    binaries, it's good to subscribe to a premium
    news service that has high article completion
    and long article retention -- the gold standard
    of premium news service being Giganews
    (close to 100% article completion -- Par files
    almost never needed; up to *50 days* retention):
    http://www.giganews.com/
    A bit lesser, but "good" news service is Easynews:
    http://www.easynews.com/

    So, to sum up, what you need is:

    1--A "real," yEnc-capable newsreader

    2--WinRar

    3--Quickpar (to handle Par or Par2 files)

    and, optionally...

    4--An NFO (text file describing the binary upload) reader,
    such as the free Getinfo (here's a Direct Download link
    for that program:
    ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/utilmisc/getinfo.zip )

    5--Subscribe to a premium news service

    gangle, Oct 16, 2005