  1. robel

    robel Guest

    How does one joins movies, mpegs, etc. sent over muliple emails.

    robel, Jul 30, 2005

  2. robel

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 20:06:36 GMT, "robel" <> wrote:

    >How does one joins movies, mpegs, etc. sent over muliple emails.

    It could be combine, multiple or yEnc files.

    Combine:
    "xxx.mpg" (01/50) tells us this is part 1 of 50 parts.
    Use "Combine and Decode" to join:
    Highlight the files you want to combine & decode.
    (Click the first, hold "Shift" or "Control"
    to select the rest of the group)
    From Outlook: Select "Message", "Combine & Decode"

    Multiple:
    For multiple files (xxx.mpg.001, xxx.mpg.002, etc):
    "xxx.mpg.050" tells us this is part 50 of the file but we have
    no idea how many parts are needed unless there is also a "xxx.bat"
    file which is the stand-alone joiner, and lists the number of files
    in the set. To join without "xxx.bat", you MUST have "xxx.mpg.001".
    "xxx.mpg.001" is the first file of the set and the rest of the set will be
    appended to it as "xxx.mpg". If "xxx.mpg.000" is missing, the joined
    set may not be complete as "xxx.mpg.000" has the checksum and
    the number of parts needed to make a complete file.

    Save all the files to a folder, then combine them with the
    "xxx.bat". If "xxx.bat" is missing, then use one of the below
    programs to join the files using "xxx.mpg.001" as the start file.
    "MasterSplitter" http://www.tomasoft.com or
    "HJ-Split" http://freebyte.com/hjsplit/ or
    "Just Another Splitter" http://www.jas-etc.com or
    "GSplit" http://www.gdgsoft.com/gsplit/

    "r00" is a piece of a split WinRAR file. It's a compression file similar
    to Winzip. You need the first part "xxxx.rar" to expand the set.
    http://www.rarlab.com

    Download ALL the parts, DON'T "join" this type of file. Save the parts,
    then double click "xxxx.rar" to begin the decompression.

    "p01" is a PAR file used for correcting errors.
    Par files are used to rebuild missing files in a spanned archive.
    Smart Par
    http://www.disc-chord.com/smartpar/
    http://www.disc-chord.com/smartpar/info.html
    http://ice.prohosting.com/smartpar/releases/SmartPAR_0.11d1.zip
    http://www.geocities.com/smartpar_1/smartpar.zip

    SmartPar Tutorial
    http://www.smr-usenet.com/tutor/smartpar.shtml
    http://www.slyck.com/smartpar.php
    http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=6

    Unk, Jul 30, 2005

  3. robel

    gangle Guest

    "robel" wrote
    > How does one joins movies, mpegs, etc. sent over muliple emails.

    It sounds like you don't know the difference between email
    and newsgroup multipart binary posts. (Email uses the
    SMTP protocol, usually using MIME encoding; posts use
    the NNTP protocol, usually encoded with either Uuencoding
    or yEnc. To refer to NG posts as email is like concluding that
    a mule and a horse are different names for the same animal
    because they have a high degree of physical similarities.)

    If my assumption of your confusion is valid, then my canned
    answer for OE-to-retrieve-binaries should help:

    To assemble a multi-part post using Outlook Express,
    click part 1, then, while holding down the Ctrl key,
    click each of the remaining parts. When you have
    highlighted the last part, Right click and choose
    "Combine and Decode." Make sure all parts are in
    order in the window that pops up, then click "OK."
    When all parts have downloaded and been decoded,
    a window will appear with the File Icon in the
    bottom left corner (OE4) or in the "Attach"
    line (OE5 & 6). Right click on the icon, choose
    "save as" and, within the browser window that
    appears, choose "Desktop" as the place to initially
    save it. If you want to keep it, you can later CUT and
    PASTE it from Desktop to any folder you want.

    IMPORTANT NOTE: In OE4 it is possible to download
    a multi-part binary while simultaneously reading or
    posting to other NGs, or reading/sending email -- But:
    in the "upgraded" OE5 & 6, downloading a multi-part file
    makes the program UNUSABLE for most other functions
    while the process goes on; so, if you frequently want to
    download multi-part binary files, it's more practical
    to use a dedicated news reading and posting program,
    such as Agent ("Full" Agent @ $29 -- NOT Free Agent):
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.htm
    or Xnews (free):
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    or Gravity (free):
    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html
    for downloading binaries.
    Also, for $35, there is Newsbin, which is strictly
    for downloading binaries (no text):
    http://www.newsbin.com/ .
    You could still use OE 4, 5, or 6 as an email program
    and to view/post to text-only NGs, while using one of
    the above programs to retrieve binaries.

    About yEnc:

    yEnc is a type of binary-to-text encoding that has much
    less text "overhead" (about 3% more than the actual file
    size) than Uuencoded files (about 30% more than actual
    file size). For example, a 10 MB video file will be -- when
    converted to text for uploading and downloading:
    With yEnc: 10.3 MB -- With Uuencoding: 13 MB.
    So, it's easy to see why it's more efficient for both
    uploaders and downloaders to use yEnc.
    Unfortunately, OE does not internally decode yEnc
    encoded binaries, and never will because Microsoft
    just doesn't give a shit about OE as a newsreader.
    You must use a 3rd-party program to achieve this, the
    easiest being yProxy:
    http://www.brawnylads.com/software/ , but 3rd-party
    software is cumbersome at best. Since most multipart
    binaries are uploaded using yEnc, you really need to
    install and learn to use a dedicated news reader that
    decodes yEnc internally -- see the list above above
    (or do a search for "newsreaders").

    About RARs and PARs:

    RAR is widely used to archive multimedia type files (.avi,
    ..mpg, .mov, .rm, etc.) splitting them into sequentially
    numbered RAR parts. You need WinRar to decompress
    and reassemble the archive so that the multimedia file
    can be extracted:
    http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
    (shareware, but always usable, even after the trial period).
    Tutorial:
    http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=5

    PAR or PAR2 files are "wild card" type files used to
    replace any RAR files that are incomplete/missing
    due to poor propagation by a news server.
    Tutorial:
    http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=6

    Also, if you're going to download a lot of
    binaries, it's good to subscribe to a premium
    news service that has high article completion
    and long article retention -- the gold standard
    of premium news service being Giganews
    (close to 100% article completion -- Par files
    almost never needed; up to *50 days* retention):
    http://www.giganews.com/
    A bit lesser, but "good" news service is Easynews:
    http://www.easynews.com/

    So, to sum up, what you need is:

    1--A "real," yEnc-capable newsreader

    2--WinRar

    3--Quickpar (to handle Par or Par2 files)

    and, optionally...

    4--An NFO (text file describing the binary upload) reader,
    such as the free Getinfo (here's a Direct Download link
    for that program:
    ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/utilmisc/getinfo.zip )

    5--Subscribe to a premium news service

    gangle, Jul 31, 2005