    Dan
    <>
    , Feb 8, 2005

  2. wibbled in this way:

    > What is the optimum width or length of a JPEG for viewing on a TV? I
    > simply want to reduce the size of my 6 megapixel JPEG's so that they
    > will load faster and yet not be noticeably degraded when viewing on my
    > TV...I don't want to create a slide show....only save my reduced JPG's
    > on a CD to a proper size for manual viewing through my DVD player. I
    > tried simply loading them in full size and each photo really loaded
    > slllooowwwllllly.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can provide,
    >
    > Dan
    > <>

    Unless you have a high tech tv then the max resolution of the TV is
    likely to be around 640x480

    Cant you try a 6Mp and then a 640x480 pic on a CDRW and then see if you
    can tell the difference

    --
    David

    Nobody writes them like they used to
    so it might as well be me
    David Beamish, Feb 8, 2005

  3. Pete Fenelon Guest

    wrote:
    > What is the optimum width or length of a JPEG for viewing on a TV? I
    > simply want to reduce the size of my 6 megapixel JPEG's so that they
    > will load faster and yet not be noticeably degraded when viewing on my
    > TV...I don't want to create a slide show....only save my reduced JPG's
    > on a CD to a proper size for manual viewing through my DVD player. I
    > tried simply loading them in full size and each photo really loaded
    > slllooowwwllllly.

    http://www.mir.com/DMG/aspect.html is a very good discusssion of aspect
    ratios and frame sizes, but in uber-summary, for a US telly, 480 vertical
    lines and anywhere between 640 and 720 horizontal pixels (once you take
    into account 4x3 aspect ratio and non-squareness of pixels).

    pete
    --
    "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"
    Pete Fenelon, Feb 8, 2005
  4. Steven Hook Guest

    Steven Hook, Feb 8, 2005
  5. Steven Hook Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > What is the optimum width or length of a JPEG for viewing on a TV? I
    > simply want to reduce the size of my 6 megapixel JPEG's so that they
    > will load faster and yet not be noticeably degraded when viewing on my
    > TV...I don't want to create a slide show....only save my reduced JPG's
    > on a CD to a proper size for manual viewing through my DVD player. I
    > tried simply loading them in full size and each photo really loaded
    > slllooowwwllllly.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can provide,
    >
    > Dan
    > <>

    640X480 should be a small enough file but still be as clear as a TV, if I
    don't re-size my pics they seem to shimmer on the TY, especially where
    there's fine detail, so I actually get a better image if I shrink them.
    Steven
    Steven Hook, Feb 8, 2005
  6. Steven Hook Guest

    Steven Hook, Feb 8, 2005
  7. Steven Hook Guest

    Sorry for multi-posting, my email client is screwing arround with me...
    Steven Hook, Feb 8, 2005
  8. Stewy Guest

    In article <Xns95F786C2E8D9Dmeprivacynet120@130.133.1.4>,
    David Beamish <> wrote:

    > wibbled in this way:
    >
    > > What is the optimum width or length of a JPEG for viewing on a TV? I
    > > simply want to reduce the size of my 6 megapixel JPEG's so that they
    > > will load faster and yet not be noticeably degraded when viewing on my
    > > TV...I don't want to create a slide show....only save my reduced JPG's
    > > on a CD to a proper size for manual viewing through my DVD player. I
    > > tried simply loading them in full size and each photo really loaded
    > > slllooowwwllllly.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help you can provide,
    > >
    > > Dan
    > > <>
    > >

    > Unless you have a high tech tv then the max resolution of the TV is
    > likely to be around 640x480
    >
    > Cant you try a 6Mp and then a 640x480 pic on a CDRW and then see if you
    > can tell the difference

    Many thanks for the info. I've always had problems with slideshows due
    to the 3000x4000 pixel images produced with my Fuji S7000.
    Stewy, Feb 15, 2005