    it) compared to the same file viewed with the Nikon software. What could be
    the cause of this?

    Dootje

    Dootje, Feb 18, 2006

  2. On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:04:34 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "Dootje"
    <> wrote:

    >My new Nikon CoolScan V ED film scanner is producing some quite
    >up-to-standard images from color negatives, but there is a strange effect
    >that eludes me:
    >The Nikon Scan software (version 4.0.2) allows saving in other formats (TIFF
    >or JPG). When I view such an image in Paint Shop or Irfanview (on the same
    >monitor) the image looks much more 'granular' (if that's the right word for
    >it) compared to the same file viewed with the Nikon software. What could be
    >the cause of this?

    First, the only way for a fair comparison is to view the images at 100% in
    all applications.

    However, Irfanview I believe by default is not set resample images when not
    at 1:1. Go to Options => Properties=> Viewing and check the first entry,
    Use "Resample" function for Fit options....

    In PSP8 at least, File => Preferences=> Display and Caching, move the
    slider for Zoom Rescaling Quality all the way to the right.
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Feb 18, 2006

  3. Dootje

    Dootje Guest

    Dear Ed,

    Thanks for your very helpful hints. The Irfanview settings works like a
    charm. As for Paint Shop Pro, I have version 7 installed, and apparently the
    'Display and Caching' setting is not yet available there (or hidden in a
    spot where I haven't been able to discover it). I'll keep looking for a
    workaround, though.

    Dootje

    "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <> schreef in
    bericht news:...

    Dootje, Feb 19, 2006