Viewing images from CD-R or DVD-R

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pig Ignorant, Jan 24, 2006.

  1. Pig Ignorant

    Pig Ignorant Guest

    Hi

    Apologies if this has come up before, but I haven't been able to find
    what I want from searching in Google groups or the web.

    I have lots of CD-Rs and DVD-Rs containing my own photos (holidays
    etc.), and I want to be able to view them from the CD/DVD without
    having to copy them onto my HDD. Ideally I'd like to be able to view
    them as a slide show, i.e. have the software read the images from the
    CD/DVD one at a time and display for a few seconds, then move on to the
    next.

    I was told Irfanview did this, but it just seems to allow you to make a
    slide show by copying the files onto your HDD first.

    I don't want to create a slide show on a VCD or DVD that can be viewed
    in a DVD player, and I don't want to have to put self-contained slide
    show viewer software onto each CD/DVD. I already have lots of CD-Rs and
    DVD-Rs which just have data on (image files). I simply want some
    software on my PC that will run a slide show from the images on the
    data CD-R or DVD-R.

    I believe ACDSee does this but this seems to have lots of other
    features I don't want. I wondered if there was a cheap or free software
    utility that will do what I want?

    I'd be grateful for any advice.

    Thanks

    PI
    Pig Ignorant, Jan 24, 2006

  2. Pig Ignorant

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    "Pig Ignorant" <> wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Apologies if this has come up before, but I haven't been able to find
    > what I want from searching in Google groups or the web.
    >
    > I have lots of CD-Rs and DVD-Rs containing my own photos (holidays
    > etc.), and I want to be able to view them from the CD/DVD without
    > having to copy them onto my HDD. Ideally I'd like to be able to view
    > them as a slide show, i.e. have the software read the images from the
    > CD/DVD one at a time and display for a few seconds, then move on to the
    > next.
    >
    > I was told Irfanview did this, but it just seems to allow you to make a
    > slide show by copying the files onto your HDD first.
    >
    > I don't want to create a slide show on a VCD or DVD that can be viewed
    > in a DVD player, and I don't want to have to put self-contained slide
    > show viewer software onto each CD/DVD. I already have lots of CD-Rs and
    > DVD-Rs which just have data on (image files). I simply want some
    > software on my PC that will run a slide show from the images on the
    > data CD-R or DVD-R.
    >
    > I believe ACDSee does this but this seems to have lots of other
    > features I don't want. I wondered if there was a cheap or free software
    > utility that will do what I want?

    Have you considered the iPod Video? While you do need a computer at the
    beginning, once you have shifted a number of sets to the playlist, you
    can view it easily, albeit on a SMALL screen, the potential to combine
    it with iPod Video, you "should" end up with a much more controllable
    slideshow and better picture.

    How often will you use your slideshows?
    Stewy, Jan 24, 2006

  3. Pig Ignorant

    poddys Guest

    You can do this in Windows XP - just open My Computer or Windows
    Explorer, browse the CD (or drive/location where the images are), open
    one image and then you should have options to view as a slide show etc.
    You can also select to view thumbnails instead of just filenames/icons
    in Explorer.
    There is no need to download the pictures to your hard drive, although
    they will open a lot faster if you do. If you are going to view them a
    lot and do have enough space on the hard driver it's well worth
    downloading them and then deleting them afterwards. Your choice...

    Personally I use Thumbs Plus from www.cerious.com - it's a great
    picture viewer and has some good editing features. I recommend
    downloading the program for a 30 day demo.

    Hope this helps.
    poddys, Jan 24, 2006
  4. Thumbs Plus builds a database of thumbnails....that can take some time. I am
    thinking that there must be a screen saver that does this.

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter

    Gene Palmiter, Jan 24, 2006
  5. William Hathaway via PhotoKB.com, Jan 24, 2006
  6. Pig Ignorant

    Kevin Vivian Guest

    In article <>, Pig
    Ignorant <> writes
    >Hi
    >
    >Apologies if this has come up before, but I haven't been able to find
    >what I want from searching in Google groups or the web.
    >
    >I have lots of CD-Rs and DVD-Rs containing my own photos (holidays
    >etc.), and I want to be able to view them from the CD/DVD without
    >having to copy them onto my HDD. Ideally I'd like to be able to view
    >them as a slide show, i.e. have the software read the images from the
    >CD/DVD one at a time and display for a few seconds, then move on to the
    >next.
    >
    >I was told Irfanview did this, but it just seems to allow you to make a
    >slide show by copying the files onto your HDD first.

    Irfanview 3.97 does it. Just click on slideshow and use the "look in"
    drop down box to select your CD/DVD drive letter and add the pictures to
    include using the "add" and "add all" buttons, in exactly the same way
    as you would select from a folder on your hard drive. The resulting
    list does not copy any files to your hard drive but it will display them
    as a slide show.

    Cheers
    --
    Kevin
    Kevin Vivian, Jan 24, 2006
  7. Pig Ignorant

    Ben Guest

    PI,

    I've been using VuePrint for years and it excells at just this kind of
    thing. General image file manipulation, rather than editing, is where
    it really shines. It's fast and efficient, and costs around $30 if
    memory serves. Find it at http://www.hamrick.com/

    HTH,
    -Ben
    Ben, Jan 24, 2006
  8. Pig Ignorant wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Apologies if this has come up before, but I haven't been able to find
    > what I want from searching in Google groups or the web.
    >
    > I have lots of CD-Rs and DVD-Rs containing my own photos (holidays
    > etc.), and I want to be able to view them from the CD/DVD without
    > having to copy them onto my HDD. Ideally I'd like to be able to view
    > them as a slide show, i.e. have the software read the images from the
    > CD/DVD one at a time and display for a few seconds, then move on to
    > the next.

    Using Windows XP, click on the CD drive, click on the folder containing the
    pictures, click on FOLDERS icon at top of screen, click on "view as slide
    show" left side of screen.

    Dennis.
    Dennis Pogson, Jan 24, 2006
  9. Pig Ignorant

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "Dennis Pogson" <> wrote in message
    > Pig Ignorant wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Apologies if this has come up before, but I haven't been able to find
    >> what I want from searching in Google groups or the web.
    >>
    >> I have lots of CD-Rs and DVD-Rs containing my own photos (holidays
    >> etc.), and I want to be able to view them from the CD/DVD without
    >> having to copy them onto my HDD. Ideally I'd like to be able to view
    >> them as a slide show, i.e. have the software read the images from the
    >> CD/DVD one at a time and display for a few seconds, then move on to
    >> the next.
    >>

    > Using Windows XP, click on the CD drive, click on the folder containing
    > the
    > pictures, click on FOLDERS icon at top of screen, click on "view as slide
    > show" left side of screen.
    >
    > Dennis.

    I don't know what the op is talking about. A quick check shows both
    Irfanview and FastStone play a slide show directly from a dvd, plus all the
    others mentioned.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Jan 24, 2006
  10. Pig Ignorant

    Tesco News Guest

    "Pig Ignorant" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Apologies if this has come up before, but I haven't been able to find
    > what I want from searching in Google groups or the web.
    >
    > I have lots of CD-Rs and DVD-Rs containing my own photos (holidays
    > etc.), and I want to be able to view them from the CD/DVD without
    > having to copy them onto my HDD. Ideally I'd like to be able to view
    > them as a slide show, i.e. have the software read the images from the
    > CD/DVD one at a time and display for a few seconds, then move on to the
    > next.
    >
    > I was told Irfanview did this, but it just seems to allow you to make a
    > slide show by copying the files onto your HDD first.
    >
    > I don't want to create a slide show on a VCD or DVD that can be viewed
    > in a DVD player, and I don't want to have to put self-contained slide
    > show viewer software onto each CD/DVD. I already have lots of CD-Rs and
    > DVD-Rs which just have data on (image files). I simply want some
    > software on my PC that will run a slide show from the images on the
    > data CD-R or DVD-R.
    >
    > I believe ACDSee does this but this seems to have lots of other
    > features I don't want. I wondered if there was a cheap or free software
    > utility that will do what I want?
    >
    > I'd be grateful for any advice.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > PI

    Hi

    Most DVD players will run a Slide show of Jpeg Images straight from a DVD
    or CD disc.

    You probably won't be able to control the timings. You may also find that
    if the files are large, they might not look great on the screen, a bit sort
    of clumpy grained in places.

    I have always found it best to make up a disc with fairly low res images
    just for showing on TV.

    This way you can get even more pictures onto 1 disc, and prolong the agony
    for the viewers. It is even better than the old days, when they sometimes
    managed to make a quick exit while the projector and screen were being set
    up. (joke?)

    Roy G
    Tesco News, Jan 25, 2006
  11. Pig Ignorant

    Pig Ignorant Guest

    Thanks for all the replies. I found an old copy of ACDSee (v3.1) which
    does exactly what I want - I can just point it at a folder on a
    CD/DVD-R and it immediately shows thumbnails of the photo files in the
    folder. I can then click on Tools>Slide Show and it starts showing them
    one at a time. There's no need for me to set up a list of files I want
    to look at, like I seem to have to in Irfanview, or copy the files to
    my HDD first, etc.
    Perhaps I should have been clearer in stating my requirements - I don't
    want a slide show per se (I can create one on a DVD or VCD for showing
    in DVD players), I just find it a convenient way to look at photos in
    my archive without having to copy them to the HDD first, when I'm
    trying to locate a particular one.

    Anyway, problem solved and thanks for all the advice.

    (not so) PI (now)
    Pig Ignorant, Jan 26, 2006