    Google for it, but that only turns up how to configure Outlook Express.

    Thanks, and best regards,
    Bob
    zxcvbob, Oct 21, 2004

  2. zxcvbob

    WormWood Guest

    "zxcvbob" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | Wife uses Microsoft Office 97 Outlook for an email client, and
    complains
    | that her emails look funny. I checked, and it seems that HTML is
    turned
    | off. Some messages have text attachments that don't open
    automatically,
    | and fancy schmancy formatted emails (like sale flyers) don't show
    images
    | or any formatting. One message actually said "your email client does
    | not receive HTML", or something like that.
    |
    | So it's acting like it's set up to display all messages in plain text,
    | but I can't find the setting anywhere. Any ideas? I've never used
    | Outlook before. I can't find anything in the help files, and I
    searched
    | Google for it, but that only turns up how to configure Outlook
    Express.

    | Thanks, and best regards,
    | Bob

    In Outlook, Tools / Options / Other (tab), place a check mark in 'make
    Outlook the default program for mail, calendar, etc.' Now you should be
    able to set other options.
    WormWood, Oct 21, 2004

  3. zxcvbob

    Harrison Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:02:30 -0500, zxcvbob <> wrote:

    >Wife uses Microsoft Office 97 Outlook for an email client, and complains
    >that her emails look funny. I checked, and it seems that HTML is turned
    >off. Some messages have text attachments that don't open automatically,
    >and fancy schmancy formatted emails (like sale flyers) don't show images
    >or any formatting. One message actually said "your email client does
    >not receive HTML", or something like that.
    >
    >So it's acting like it's set up to display all messages in plain text,
    >but I can't find the setting anywhere. Any ideas? I've never used
    >Outlook before. I can't find anything in the help files, and I searched
    >Google for it, but that only turns up how to configure Outlook Express.
    >
    >Thanks, and best regards,
    >Bob

    97 is very limited with HTML mail. It will not display most modern HTML mails.
    Outlook Express is updated via Windows Update along with Internet Explorer, so that is newer than Outlook 97.

    BTW - The newer versions of Outlook now block the embedded images from loading (by default) so that the spammers can't
    use them to verify your address as a "live one".
    It also helps to not post your address to Usenet.
    Harrison, Oct 21, 2004
  4. zxcvbob

    Brian Guest

    "zxcvbob" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Wife uses Microsoft Office 97 Outlook for an email client, and complains
    > that her emails look funny. I checked, and it seems that HTML is turned
    > off. Some messages have text attachments that don't open automatically,
    > and fancy schmancy formatted emails (like sale flyers) don't show images
    > or any formatting. One message actually said "your email client does
    > not receive HTML", or something like that.
    >
    > So it's acting like it's set up to display all messages in plain text,
    > but I can't find the setting anywhere. Any ideas? I've never used
    > Outlook before. I can't find anything in the help files, and I searched
    > Google for it, but that only turns up how to configure Outlook Express.
    >
    > Thanks, and best regards,
    > Bob

    outlook 97 doesn't support HTML.... only rich text..(RTF converter word
    maybe helpfull athough still displays a bit peculiar) tell her to use
    outlook express and update iexplorer if she doesn't really need the outlook
    extras (if there are any at all in the 97 version compared to IE 6.0)..
    otherwise i would suggest new office software... (office 2000 should be
    cheap to get hold of) 97 is no longer supported, so no recent patches
    avaliable.
    Brian, Oct 21, 2004
  5. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    WormWood wrote:

    > "zxcvbob" <> wrote in message
    > | Wife uses Microsoft Office 97 Outlook for an email client, and
    > complains
    > | that her emails look funny. I checked, and it seems that HTML is
    > turned
    > | off. Some messages have text attachments that don't open
    > automatically,
    > | and fancy schmancy formatted emails (like sale flyers) don't show
    > images
    > | or any formatting. One message actually said "your email client does
    > | not receive HTML", or something like that.
    > |
    > | So it's acting like it's set up to display all messages in plain text,
    > | but I can't find the setting anywhere. Any ideas? I've never used
    > | Outlook before. I can't find anything in the help files, and I
    > searched
    > | Google for it, but that only turns up how to configure Outlook
    > Express.
    > |
    > | Thanks, and best regards,
    > | Bob
    >
    > In Outlook, Tools / Options / Other (tab), place a check mark in 'make
    > Outlook the default program for mail, calendar, etc.' Now you should be
    > able to set other options.

    There is no "Other" tab. Also, I checked Settings->Internet Options,
    and Microsoft Outlook is the default email program.

    I went to the AVG antivirus console and turned off email certification
    -- perhaps the insertion of "Incoming mail is certified Virus Free." was
    confusing the formatter.

    I'll have to send her an HTML message now and see if it made any
    difference...

    Bob
    zxcvbob, Oct 21, 2004
  6. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Harrison wrote:

    > It also helps to not post your address to Usenet.

    I've been posting my address on Usenet for almost 10 years now, in case
    someone wants to reply directly. That's why I *always* use a pseudonym.
    :) You would be amazed how little spam I get, although the swen virus
    caused me a lot of problems last year because I couldn't delete it off
    the server fast enough.

    Best regards,
    Bob
    zxcvbob, Oct 21, 2004
  7. zxcvbob

    > WormWood wrote:
    >
    > > "zxcvbob" <> wrote in message
    > > | Wife uses Microsoft Office 97 Outlook for an email client, and
    > > complains
    > > | that her emails look funny. I checked, and it seems that HTML is
    > > turned
    > > | off. Some messages have text attachments that don't open
    > > automatically,
    > > | and fancy schmancy formatted emails (like sale flyers) don't show
    > > images
    > > | or any formatting. One message actually said "your email client does
    > > | not receive HTML", or something like that.
    > > |
    > > | So it's acting like it's set up to display all messages in plain text,
    > > | but I can't find the setting anywhere. Any ideas? I've never used
    > > | Outlook before. I can't find anything in the help files, and I
    > > searched
    > > | Google for it, but that only turns up how to configure Outlook
    > > Express.
    > > |
    > > | Thanks, and best regards,
    > > | Bob
    > >
    > > In Outlook, Tools / Options / Other (tab), place a check mark in 'make
    > > Outlook the default program for mail, calendar, etc.' Now you should be
    > > able to set other options.
    > >

    > There is no "Other" tab. Also, I checked Settings->Internet Options,
    > and Microsoft Outlook is the default email program.
    >
    > I went to the AVG antivirus console and turned off email certification
    > -- perhaps the insertion of "Incoming mail is certified Virus Free." was
    > confusing the formatter.
    >
    > I'll have to send her an HTML message now and see if it made any
    > difference...
    >
    > Bob

    it wont.... read the whole thread....
    Brian, Oct 21, 2004
  8. In article <>,
    Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

    >97 is very limited with HTML mail. It will not display most modern HTML mails.
    >Outlook Express is updated via Windows Update along with Internet Explorer, so that is newer than Outlook 97.

    Do you have proof?

    >BTW - The newer versions of Outlook now block the embedded images from loading (by default) so that the spammers can't
    >use them to verify your address as a "live one".
    >It also helps to not post your address to Usenet.

    That was on a Friday night.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Apparently, Lady Chatterly is a Bot. S/he pops up on
    alt.music.michael-jackson from time to time." -- Archie Leach
    Lady Chatterly, Oct 21, 2004
  9. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > "zxcvbob" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >
    >>Wife uses Microsoft Office 97 Outlook for an email client, and complains
    >>that her emails look funny. I checked, and it seems that HTML is turned
    >>off. Some messages have text attachments that don't open automatically,
    >>and fancy schmancy formatted emails (like sale flyers) don't show images
    >>or any formatting. One message actually said "your email client does
    >>not receive HTML", or something like that.
    >>
    >>So it's acting like it's set up to display all messages in plain text,
    >>but I can't find the setting anywhere. Any ideas? I've never used
    >>Outlook before. I can't find anything in the help files, and I searched
    >>Google for it, but that only turns up how to configure Outlook Express.
    >>
    >>Thanks, and best regards,
    >>Bob

    > outlook 97 doesn't support HTML.... only rich text..(RTF converter word
    > maybe helpfull athough still displays a bit peculiar) tell her to use
    > outlook express and update iexplorer if she doesn't really need the outlook
    > extras (if there are any at all in the 97 version compared to IE 6.0)..
    > otherwise i would suggest new office software... (office 2000 should be
    > cheap to get hold of) 97 is no longer supported, so no recent patches
    > avaliable.

    Office 2000 is still pretty expensive (~ $100) to fix a problem like
    this. Outlook 98 is hard to find but pretty cheap, and it supports
    HTML, but I don't think MS supports it anymore so that might not be a
    wise solution.

    Outlook Express does *more* than she needs as a mail client, but she
    also has her calendar and address book in Outlook. The address book
    will export, but I don't know about the calendar. The reason I loaded
    Outlook was so she would have an integrated PIM.

    [thinking out loud] I wonder if Lotus Notes will run as a standalone
    client w/o a Domino server, and if it can import a MS Outlook calendar
    and store the resulting database on "local"? I have a Notes 6.5 client
    install CD in my junk disk pile...

    If I can get Notes to work for mail, calendar, and address book, and use
    Office 97 just for Word and Powerpoint...

    Best regards,
    Bob

    Bob
    zxcvbob, Oct 21, 2004
  10. zxcvbob

    WormWood Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message

    | "zxcvbob" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    | > Wife uses Microsoft Office 97 Outlook for an email client, and
    complains
    | > that her emails look funny. I checked, and it seems that HTML is
    turned
    | > off. Some messages have text attachments that don't open
    automatically,
    | > and fancy schmancy formatted emails (like sale flyers) don't show
    images
    | > or any formatting. One message actually said "your email client
    does
    | > not receive HTML", or something like that.
    | >
    | > So it's acting like it's set up to display all messages in plain
    text,
    | > but I can't find the setting anywhere. Any ideas? I've never used
    | > Outlook before. I can't find anything in the help files, and I
    searched
    | > Google for it, but that only turns up how to configure Outlook
    Express.

    | > Thanks, and best regards,
    | > Bob
    |
    | outlook 97 doesn't support HTML.... only rich text..
    --------------------
    Rich text is HTML, silly! :)
    --------------------

    WormWood, Oct 21, 2004
  11. zxcvbob

    Brian Guest

    "WormWood" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > |
    > | "zxcvbob" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > | > Wife uses Microsoft Office 97 Outlook for an email client, and
    > complains
    > | > that her emails look funny. I checked, and it seems that HTML is
    > turned
    > | > off. Some messages have text attachments that don't open
    > automatically,
    > | > and fancy schmancy formatted emails (like sale flyers) don't show
    > images
    > | > or any formatting. One message actually said "your email client
    > does
    > | > not receive HTML", or something like that.
    > | >
    > | > So it's acting like it's set up to display all messages in plain
    > text,
    > | > but I can't find the setting anywhere. Any ideas? I've never used
    > | > Outlook before. I can't find anything in the help files, and I
    > searched
    > | > Google for it, but that only turns up how to configure Outlook
    > Express.
    > | >
    > | > Thanks, and best regards,
    > | > Bob
    > |
    > | outlook 97 doesn't support HTML.... only rich text..
    > --------------------
    > Rich text is HTML, silly! :)
    > --------------------
    >
    > (RTF converter word
    > | maybe helpfull athough still displays a bit peculiar) tell her to use
    > | outlook express and update iexplorer if she doesn't really need the
    > outlook
    > | extras (if there are any at all in the 97 version compared to IE
    > 6.0)..
    > | otherwise i would suggest new office software... (office 2000 should
    > be
    > | cheap to get hold of) 97 is no longer supported, so no recent patches
    > | avaliable.

    it is is it? do some research before claiming things like that!!
    Brian, Oct 21, 2004