    it???

    Thanks/\
    , Jun 22, 2006

  2. thanatoid Guest

    wrote in
    news::

    > I have created a gif file with a transparent background. I
    > have also made an enewsletter through microsoft work. When
    > insert this file and sent it over email it comes out kinda
    > pixal-ely. This doesnt happen with the jpeg pics on the
    > same page? Why is this, and how can i fix it???
    >
    > Thanks/\

    The GIF format only uses 256 colors, although you can -
    depending on the program you use - choose the 256 most suited to
    your purposes - whether those 256 will be the one "on the other
    end" is another matter. There IS a standard 256-color Windows
    palette which it is safest to stick to.

    (This is why sometimes when viewing a series of gif pictures
    some look fine and some flash colors momentarily before
    adjusting the palette. That's because the indiv. pictures use
    custom palettes, and some systems can only display one palette
    at a time.)

    The reason transparent gifs show up "funny" is that the color
    chosen as transparent does not match the background color, or
    the "transparent" color used by the recipient. FWIW, I have
    NEVER run across a transparent GIF that looked OK >anywhere<
    except on its original web page etc.

    Considering that in many cases a GIF will be larger than a JPG
    of the same image, I would recommend sticking to JPG's.

    You can Google for specifics of the most popular image formats
    if you want more info and possibly something you can use to
    apply to your particular problem.
    thanatoid, Jun 23, 2006

  3. Guest

    Are you sure???? What about the google.gif file. that has looked good
    on every computer i have ever used.
    :)

    I think i have determined my problem has something to do with MS word.
    Maybe it doestn like gif files or something.

    thanatoid wrote:
    > wrote in
    >
    > > I have created a gif file with a transparent background. I
    > > have also made an enewsletter through microsoft work. When
    > > insert this file and sent it over email it comes out kinda
    > > pixal-ely. This doesnt happen with the jpeg pics on the
    > > same page? Why is this, and how can i fix it???
    > >
    > > Thanks/\
    > >

    > The GIF format only uses 256 colors, although you can -
    > depending on the program you use - choose the 256 most suited to
    > your purposes - whether those 256 will be the one "on the other
    > end" is another matter. There IS a standard 256-color Windows
    > palette which it is safest to stick to.
    >
    > (This is why sometimes when viewing a series of gif pictures
    > some look fine and some flash colors momentarily before
    > adjusting the palette. That's because the indiv. pictures use
    > custom palettes, and some systems can only display one palette
    > at a time.)
    >
    > The reason transparent gifs show up "funny" is that the color
    > chosen as transparent does not match the background color, or
    > the "transparent" color used by the recipient. FWIW, I have
    > NEVER run across a transparent GIF that looked OK >anywhere<
    > except on its original web page etc.
    >
    > Considering that in many cases a GIF will be larger than a JPG
    > of the same image, I would recommend sticking to JPG's.
    >
    > You can Google for specifics of the most popular image formats
    > if you want more info and possibly something you can use to
    > apply to your particular problem.
    , Jun 23, 2006
  4. thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > Are you sure???? What about the google.gif file. that has
    > looked good on every computer i have ever used.
    >:)
    >
    > I think i have determined my problem has something to do
    > with MS word. Maybe it doestn like gif files or something.

    <SNIP>

    I haven't played around with them but I have no reason to
    suspect the Google image(s) are "transparent", they simply use
    white as the background, and they merge seamlessly with the
    white background.
    The are all rectangles, so they are not transparent.

    But even a transparent gif with white as the transparent color
    might look almost same on WHITE background.

    Using MS Office/Word is another problem and you're on your own
    there. Last time I had it installed was about 10 years ago at
    work, and I have chosen less trouble-prone software for my home
    use since then.

    Even though gif is one of the older and most common image
    formats, it certainly would not surprise me if Word "didn't like
    it".
    thanatoid, Jun 23, 2006
  5. Guest

    you are right about the google image. thought it is a gif it is on a
    white background.
    but this is what i dont get. and i admit i am new to creating
    graphics. when i take the google gif logo and insert it into my
    enewsletter.....and send it....there is absolutly no problem. None.
    When i take my gif logo and do the same thing. It appears that the my
    text has bleed into the white. If the text is black there is like a
    black bleed or speckled....it isnt bold and solid like the google
    letter. Maybe this goes into how i made it and how they did or what?
    Do you have any ideas how i can fix this. I wish there was a way to
    attach files so i could show you. Many thnks Caleb

    thanatoid wrote:
    > wrote in
    >
    > > Are you sure???? What about the google.gif file. that has
    > > looked good on every computer i have ever used.
    > >:)
    > >
    > > I think i have determined my problem has something to do
    > > with MS word. Maybe it doestn like gif files or something.
    > >

    > <SNIP>
    >
    > I haven't played around with them but I have no reason to
    > suspect the Google image(s) are "transparent", they simply use
    > white as the background, and they merge seamlessly with the
    > white background.
    > The are all rectangles, so they are not transparent.
    >
    > But even a transparent gif with white as the transparent color
    > might look almost same on WHITE background.
    >
    > Using MS Office/Word is another problem and you're on your own
    > there. Last time I had it installed was about 10 years ago at
    > work, and I have chosen less trouble-prone software for my home
    > use since then.
    >
    > Even though gif is one of the older and most common image
    > formats, it certainly would not surprise me if Word "didn't like
    > it".
    , Jun 23, 2006
  6. thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > you are right about the google image. thought it is a gif
    > it is on a white background.
    > but this is what i dont get. and i admit i am new to
    > creating graphics. when i take the google gif logo and
    > insert it into my enewsletter.....and send it....there is
    > absolutly no problem. None. When i take my gif logo and do
    > the same thing. It appears that the my text has bleed into
    > the white. If the text is black there is like a black
    > bleed or speckled....it isnt bold and solid like the google
    > letter. Maybe this goes into how i made it and how they
    > did or what? Do you have any ideas how i can fix this. I
    > wish there was a way to attach files so i could show you.
    > Many thnks Caleb
    >

    > thanatoid wrote:
    >> wrote in
    >>
    >> > Are you sure???? What about the google.gif file. that
    >> > has looked good on every computer i have ever used.
    >> >:)
    >> >
    >> > I think i have determined my problem has something to do
    >> > with MS word. Maybe it doestn like gif files or
    >> > something.
    >> >

    >> <SNIP>
    >>
    >> I haven't played around with them but I have no reason to
    >> suspect the Google image(s) are "transparent", they simply
    >> use white as the background, and they merge seamlessly
    >> with the white background.
    >> The are all rectangles, so they are not transparent.
    >>
    >> But even a transparent gif with white as the transparent
    >> color might look almost same on WHITE background.
    >>
    >> Using MS Office/Word is another problem and you're on your
    >> own there. Last time I had it installed was about 10 years
    >> ago at work, and I have chosen less trouble-prone software
    >> for my home use since then.
    >>
    >> Even though gif is one of the older and most common image
    >> formats, it certainly would not surprise me if Word
    >> "didn't like it".

    I am assuming you are using Word which as I said I haven't used
    in a decade or so. It has been trying to become a desktop-
    publishing program but IMO is just a bloated buggy and horrible
    word processor.

    In real DTP programs you can arrange items in "vertical" layers,
    so part of one can show through another or not, in fact if you
    make a big mess you can just make a big white rectangle and
    cover it up by putting it on the top layer (although it is not
    considered a very "elegant" or economical way to do things).

    You can make ANY image partially transparent >as a whole< as
    opposed to GIF's where a PARTICULAR color is transparent. Unless
    the image is 1000% very clean, these can be the little speckles
    you mention.

    Or your gif image (256 colors) is somehow mismatched palette-
    wise with your newsletter (different 256 colors? or ???),
    especially if you are making your GIF's transparent, which I see
    no reason to do - but I don't know what you are doing exactly,
    either.

    The solution is either use jpg's (you can still have text go
    around or over the image - well, maybe not in Word, but in a
    real DTP program you can) or to make sure the GIF's aren't
    transparent. Although you have not explained in detail, I see no
    other reasons for the symptom you described.

    There are numerous binary "test" groups where you can pretty
    much get away with posting anything, but I doubt I would be able
    to help you much more even if I saw the images. Depending on
    source, I always work in BMP or JPG or the application's native
    format and when I'm done I save as a JPG. The most fun thing
    about GIF's is that you can make little animations out of them,
    but that's another subject.

    Look through the alt.graphics and comp.graphics hierarchies to
    hopefully find people better qualified to help you. I have used
    PageMaker and several paint/draw programs for years but I have
    never worked with GIF's except for some small B&W logos, so...

    Or if you are daring, post you question to a DTP group (like
    Pagemaker, Quark, InDesign) although they might very well just
    tell you to get the hell out of there.

    I see you are in Google groups, just put a few keywords in

    Good luck.
    thanatoid, Jun 24, 2006