    file is corrupted, or if it can be played, what codec or other files I
    need? Simply viewing its properties in Windows Explorer and Winamp
    hasn't really told me anything useful.

    Jeff G, May 8, 2005

  2. Jeff G

    TJ Guest

    Jeff G <> wrote:

    > I downloaded a video file from a newsgroup with an *.mpg extension.
    > I've tried viewing it with Winamp 5.05, Windows Media Player 9,
    > Quicktime (don't know the versoin offhand), and DivX player. None can
    > open the file.

    Error message(s)?

    > So far all of the video files I've downloaded off of that newsgroup
    > have been fine (alt.wrestling-divas). Is there anyway to find out if
    > the file is corrupted, or if it can be played, what codec or other
    > files I need? Simply viewing its properties in Windows Explorer and
    > Winamp hasn't really told me anything useful.

    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    Download it. Install it. (It's free) Drop the file into it.

    It'll tell you everything you need to know about the file, and then some.

    TJ, May 8, 2005

  3. Jeff G

    Jeff G Guest

    Thanks. The software didn't help much other than to say the file was
    not a valid avi and was pretty much otherwise unknown (I received back
    lots of n.a.'s). But the app itself looks as if it will be useful to
    have. I've never seen another app like it.

    Jeff G, May 8, 2005
  4. Jeff G

    TJ Guest

    Jeff G <> wrote:

    > Thanks. The software didn't help much other than to say the file was
    > not a valid avi and was pretty much otherwise unknown (I received back
    > lots of n.a.'s). But the app itself looks as if it will be useful to
    > have. I've never seen another app like it.

    Did you look in the file column under "stat"? It's the last line, in the
    first column, in the upper-left-hand box. I've seen people post stuff that
    they say in the subject line is an .avi, when it's really a .wmv or an .mpeg
    (usually happens with Power-Posters) and all kinds of media players will
    choke on it.

    Sometimes it's just as simple as correcting the file extension.

    For Example. If the file was downloaded as, "filename.avi" and you drop it
    into g-spot and it says it's the proper extension is .asf ...

    Rename the file to "filename.asf" and ignore the "warning" you get about
    changing the extension. (You can always change it back, and since you can't
    view it now, you don't risk losing anything, right?)

    TJ, May 8, 2005
  5. Jeff G

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 08 May 2005 13:32:46 -0400, Jeff G <> wrote:

    >I downloaded a video file from a newsgroup with an *.mpg extension.
    >I've tried viewing it with Winamp 5.05, Windows Media Player 9,
    >Quicktime (don't know the versoin offhand), and DivX player. None can
    >open the file.
    >
    >So far all of the video files I've downloaded off of that newsgroup have
    >been fine (alt.wrestling-divas). Is there anyway to find out if the
    >file is corrupted, or if it can be played, what codec or other files I
    >need? Simply viewing its properties in Windows Explorer and Winamp
    >hasn't really told me anything useful.

    Similar to Gspot. Drag & drop.
    http://avicodec.duby.info/

    Recognized formats :
    AVI, ASF & WMV, Real (.rm, .rmvb), Ogg (.ogg, .ogm), Mpeg-(S)VCD-DVD (.mpg, .vob)
    and all those handled by DirectShow (.mp3, ...).

    Unk, May 9, 2005
  6. Jeff G

    Maria Guest

    Jeff G wrote:

    > I downloaded a video file from a newsgroup with an *.mpg extension.
    > I've tried viewing it with Winamp 5.05, Windows Media Player 9,
    > Quicktime (don't know the versoin offhand), and DivX player. None can
    > open the file.
    >
    > So far all of the video files I've downloaded off of that newsgroup have
    > been fine (alt.wrestling-divas). Is there anyway to find out if the
    > file is corrupted, or if it can be played, what codec or other files I
    > need? Simply viewing its properties in Windows Explorer and Winamp
    > hasn't really told me anything useful.

    Just happened to see this post & answers; very useful information!
    Thanks TJ and Unk;
    Maria

    Maria, May 10, 2005