Viewing a .cfm file - How? (Win95)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by T.N.O., Sep 2, 2003.

  1. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Snoopy" wrote
    > Can anyone identify the files(s) I need to make this work?
    > If you have a link, even better!

    you may be able to open them with IE, cfm files are remarkably similar to
    html

    T.N.O., Sep 2, 2003

  2. T.N.O.

    Snoopy Guest

    I have figured out that this is the new help file format. I have also
    seen a link to a 400k download that apparently enables me to view .cfm
    files without IE4, but the link was dead.

    Can anyone identify the files(s) I need to make this work?
    If you have a link, even better!

    SNOOPY

    --
    Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant
    spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more

    Snoopy, Sep 2, 2003

  3. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    "T.N.O." wrote
    > > Can anyone identify the files(s) I need to make this work?
    > > If you have a link, even better!

    > you may be able to open them with IE, cfm files are remarkably similar to
    > html

    Are you sure you dont mean chm?

    T.N.O., Sep 2, 2003
  4. T.N.O.

    Snoopy Guest

    On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 14:32:24 +1200, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >"T.N.O." wrote
    >> > Can anyone identify the files(s) I need to make this work?
    >> > If you have a link, even better!

    >> you may be able to open them with IE, cfm files are
    >> remarkably similar to html

    Not with IE3 I can't. I won't let the later versions onto this old
    machine

    >Are you sure you dont mean chm?

    Ooops yes chm (sorry)

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Sep 2, 2003
  5. T.N.O. wrote:
    > "Snoopy" wrote
    >> Not with IE3 I can't. I won't let the later versions onto this old
    >> machine

    > I have since tried, and it doesnt work anyway, I seem to remember
    > that they are some sort of html, might have been compressed(multiple
    > files into one) or something, not sure now, anyway...

    It's a "Compiled help file". It's the new help file system (The old one
    being the *.hlp+*.gid variety).

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 2, 2003
  6. T.N.O.

    Snoopy Guest

    On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 16:09:26 +1200, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >Maybe copy the file to a win98+ machine?

    Are *.chf's readable on Win98?

    >Maybe download it from here
    >http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...tmlhelp/html/hwMicrosoftHTMLHelpDownloads.asp

    I found that web address myself, but the page seems to be for
    authoring tools. All I want to be able to do is read the thing.

    Anyone knowe the filename of the Windows *.chf file reader? If I had
    that I would have some hope of finding it with an internet search.

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Sep 2, 2003
  7. T.N.O.

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    te**yson@caverock.*et.*z.*is'n' says...
    > I have figured out that this is the new help file format. I have also
    > seen a link to a 400k download that apparently enables me to view .cfm
    > files without IE4, but the link was dead.
    >
    > Can anyone identify the files(s) I need to make this work?
    > If you have a link, even better!

    CFM files are Cold Fusion server side scripting files. They have nothing
    at all to do with help files.

    The file format you're thinking of is CHM, Compiled HTML, which is used
    by HTMLHelp.

    If you have installed IE4 or later then HTMLHelp is installed along with
    it.

    Mainlander, Sep 2, 2003
  8. T.N.O.

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bj0v87$e2bqj$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > "Snoopy" wrote
    > > Can anyone identify the files(s) I need to make this work?
    > > If you have a link, even better!

    > you may be able to open them with IE, cfm files are remarkably similar to
    > html

    You need to install IE4 to get all the installation files.

    CHM files are compiled HTML i.e. compressed and have other stuff added to
    them, as such they are not readable by any web browser.

    Mainlander, Sep 2, 2003
  9. T.N.O.

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    te**yson@caverock.*et.*z.*is'n' says...
    > On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 14:32:24 +1200, "T.N.O." <> wrote:
    >
    > >"T.N.O." wrote
    > >>
    > >> you may be able to open them with IE, cfm files are
    > >> remarkably similar to html
    > >>

    > Not with IE3 I can't. I won't let the later versions onto this old
    > machine

    I hope you don't use the Internet with that old buggy full of holes IE3.

    Mainlander, Sep 2, 2003
  10. T.N.O.

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    te**yson@caverock.*et.*z.*is'n' says...
    > On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 16:09:26 +1200, "T.N.O." <> wrote:
    >

    > >Maybe copy the file to a win98+ machine?
    > >

    > Are *.chf's readable on Win98?
    >

    > >Maybe download it from here
    > >http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...tmlhelp/html/hwMicrosoftHTMLHelpDownloads.asp
    > >

    > I found that web address myself, but the page seems to be for
    > authoring tools. All I want to be able to do is read the thing.
    >
    > Anyone knowe the filename of the Windows *.chf file reader? If I had
    > that I would have some hope of finding it with an internet search.

    There is no reader. It is automatically installed with IE4 or Windows 98.

    Mainlander, Sep 2, 2003
  11. T.N.O.

    Pete Lees Guest

    Snoopy,

    > Are *.chf's readable on Win98?

    Yes, compiled HTML Help (.chm) files are the standard help format in
    all versions of Windows from Windows 98 onwards, so you should have no
    problems reading a .chm file on a Windows 98 machine. The following
    page describes the system requirements for HTML Help files:

    http://www.mvps.org/htmlhelpcenter/htmlhelp/hhsysreq.html

    Notice the requirement for DCOM95 on Windows 95 machines and the fact
    that IE4+ is highly recommended for viewing .chm files.

    > Anyone knowe the filename of the Windows *.chf file reader? If I had
    > that I would have some hope of finding it with an internet search.

    HTML Help files are associated with the hh.exe executable. On Windows
    9x machines, you can install/upgrade this by running the hhupd.exe
    utility, which is available from:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/htmlhelp/html/hwMicrosoftHTMLHelpDownloads.asp

    On Windows 98 machines, you can install the very latest versions of
    the HTML Help viewer components by applying Microsoft Critical Update
    811630, which you can get from:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811630

    --
    Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)

    Pete Lees, Sep 2, 2003
  12. T.N.O.

    Rob King Guest

    "Snoopy" <te**yson@caverock.*et.*z.*is'n'> wrote in message
    > I have figured out that this is the new help file format. I have also
    > seen a link to a 400k download that apparently enables me to view .cfm
    > files without IE4, but the link was dead.
    >
    > Can anyone identify the files(s) I need to make this work?
    > If you have a link, even better!

    Don't you mean .chm files?

    ..cfm files are ColdFusion files and have nothing to do with help files.

    Rob King, Sep 3, 2003
  13. T.N.O.

    Peter KERR Guest

    In article <>,
    Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    > There is no reader. It is automatically installed with IE4 or Windows 98.

    Hehe, this is why IE -must- be bound into the OS, it's needed to read
    the Help files...

    Peter KERR, Sep 3, 2003
  14. T.N.O.

    Snoopy Guest

    On 2 Sep 2003 02:26:24 -0700, (Pete Lees)
    wrote:

    >Notice the requirement for DCOM95 on Windows 95 machines and the fact
    >that IE4+ is highly recommended for viewing .chm files.

    OK. I have downloaded 'dcom95.exe' version 4.71.1205.0 which was
    1201kB. I did not download IE4 or better.

    >> Anyone knowe the filename of the Windows *.chf file reader? If I had
    >> that I would have some hope of finding it with an internet search.

    >HTML Help files are associated with the hh.exe executable. On Windows
    >9x machines, you can install/upgrade this by running the hhupd.exe
    >utility, which is available from:
    >
    >http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/htmlhelp/html/hwMicrosoftHTMLHelpDownloads.asp

    Thanks. But the vesrion of "hh.exe" (5.2.3735.0) (736kB) listed there
    only produced an error message that I need IE5 or better.

    I did a further web search and found "hh.exe" (4.73.8253.0) (461kB). I
    installed that after 'dcom95' and now everything seems to be working.

    Thanks for your assistance Pete.

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Sep 4, 2003
  15. T.N.O.

    Snoopy Guest

    On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 20:18:18 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >te**yson@caverock.*et.*z.*is'n' says...
    >> On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 16:09:26 +1200, "T.N.O." <> wrote:
    >>

    >>Anyone know the filename of the Windows *.chf file reader? If I had
    >>that I would have some hope of finding it with an internet search.

    >There is no reader. It is automatically installed with IE4 or Windows 98.

    I'm not sure whether it is strictly called a 'reader', but the the
    file "hh.exe" once installed enables me to read these 'chm' files.

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Sep 4, 2003
  16. T.N.O.

    Snoopy Guest

    On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 20:16:56 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <bj0v87$e2bqj$-berlin.de>,
    > says...
    >> "Snoopy" wrote
    >> > Can anyone identify the files(s) I need to make this work?
    >> > If you have a link, even better!

    >>you may be able to open them with IE, cfm files are remarkably similar to
    >>html

    >CHM files are compiled HTML i.e. compressed and have other stuff added to
    >them, as such they are not readable by any web browser.

    Correct.

    >You need to install IE4 to get all the installation files.

    Not correct.

    You certainly don't need IE4 to be able to read *.chm files. I am
    running a machine which has always been an IE4free zone and am reading
    a *.chm file now.

    It is simply a matter of installing "hh.exe" and 'dcom95.exe' and
    everything works just fine.

    SNOOPY

    Snoopy, Sep 4, 2003
  17. T.N.O.

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    in says...
    > In article <>,
    > Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    > >
    > > There is no reader. It is automatically installed with IE4 or Windows 98.

    > Hehe, this is why IE -must- be bound into the OS, it's needed to read
    > the Help files...

    The files needed are part of IE.

    Mainlander, Sep 9, 2003
  18. T.N.O.

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    te**yson@caverock.*et.*z.*is'n' says...
    > On 2 Sep 2003 02:26:24 -0700, (Pete Lees)
    > wrote:
    >

    > >Notice the requirement for DCOM95 on Windows 95 machines and the fact
    > >that IE4+ is highly recommended for viewing .chm files.
    > >

    > OK. I have downloaded 'dcom95.exe' version 4.71.1205.0 which was
    > 1201kB. I did not download IE4 or better.
    >

    > >> Anyone knowe the filename of the Windows *.chf file reader? If I had
    > >> that I would have some hope of finding it with an internet search.

    > >HTML Help files are associated with the hh.exe executable. On Windows
    > >9x machines, you can install/upgrade this by running the hhupd.exe
    > >utility, which is available from:
    > >
    > >http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/htmlhelp/html/hwMicrosoftHTMLHelpDownloads.asp
    > >

    > Thanks. But the vesrion of "hh.exe" (5.2.3735.0) (736kB) listed there
    > only produced an error message that I need IE5 or better.
    >
    > I did a further web search and found "hh.exe" (4.73.8253.0) (461kB). I
    > installed that after 'dcom95' and now everything seems to be working.

    That's quite an old version which won't be able to view newer chm files.

    Mainlander, Sep 9, 2003
  19. T.N.O.

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    te**yson@caverock.*et.*z.*is'n' says...
    > On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 20:16:56 +1200, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <bj0v87$e2bqj$-berlin.de>,
    > > says...
    > >> "Snoopy" wrote
    > >>
    > >>you may be able to open them with IE, cfm files are remarkably similar to
    > >>html

    > >CHM files are compiled HTML i.e. compressed and have other stuff added to
    > >them, as such they are not readable by any web browser.
    > >

    > Correct.
    >

    > >You need to install IE4 to get all the installation files.
    > >

    > Not correct.
    >
    > You certainly don't need IE4 to be able to read *.chm files. I am
    > running a machine which has always been an IE4free zone and am reading
    > a *.chm file now.
    >
    > It is simply a matter of installing "hh.exe" and 'dcom95.exe' and
    > everything works just fine.

    As you have pointed out in another post, a later version of hh.exe
    required Internet Explorer 5.

    There is more than one type of CHM file. Some CHM files will require the
    later version of hh.exe installed that does not run without IE5.

    Mainlander, Sep 9, 2003