    editing my pictures to 16:9 whilst retaining compatibility with the Pioneer
    reading system?
    TIA

    Malcolm H, Dec 22, 2003

  2. Malcolm H

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Malcolm H <> wrote:

    > I have a Pioneer Plasma TV PDP-434HDE which has a wonderful feature enabling
    > digital media from cameras to be displayed directly on the plasma screen.
    > This is quite the best way of viewing digital pictures at very high quality
    > that I have experienced.
    > My problem concerns the aspect ratio. The screen is, of course, 16:9
    > whereas the pictures from the camera are 4:3. Thus pictures are displayed
    > with blank bars to the left and right. (There is a 'stretch' facility but
    > this, of course, results in objectionable geometric distortion).
    > I have tried cropping the pictures to 16:9 (using Paint Shop Pro) in the
    > hope that I would then get an undistorted full screen display.
    > Unfortunately the Pioneer electronics objects to this and cannot recognise
    > the edited images image as valid jpeg files.
    > Upon reading the instructions I have discovered that Pioneer state that jpeg
    > images which have been edited with a PC 'may' not be recognised.
    > Can anybody tell me why this should be, and hopefully offer a solution to
    > editing my pictures to 16:9 whilst retaining compatibility with the Pioneer
    > reading system?

    It's possible your editing software deletes the EXIF data, and your TV
    uses this.

    --
    Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5 - BMW K100RS 8v)
    Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G3) (definitely staying)

    Andy Hewitt, Dec 22, 2003

  3. > Upon reading the instructions I have discovered that Pioneer state that
    jpeg
    > images which have been edited with a PC 'may' not be recognised.
    > Can anybody tell me why this should be, and hopefully offer a solution

    > editing my pictures to 16:9 whilst retaining compatibility with the

    Pioneer
    > reading system?

    Malcolm,

    You could try my TV writer software which make images that you have edited
    on the computer viewable once again in your digital camera or TV. You can
    download the trial version free of charge, and you can request some sample
    images.

    http://www.satsignal.net => Image Utilities, TVwriter

    You might even convince me to do a 16:9 special version for you!

    Cheers,
    David
    --
    Quality software written to your requirements
    Web: http://www.satsignal.net

    David J Taylor, Dec 22, 2003
  4. Malcom,

    It sounds like replacing the EXIF data will do it for the Pioneer viewer.
    If you're able to use a PC connected to your TV, however,
    SkyView (available on download.com) will do the viewing at 16:9 without
    altering the original images. It has a variety of aspect and letterboxing options
    including an 'Overscan' (aka. zoom and crop) option for your scenario.

    Barry

    BarryC at SkylarkDVD, Dec 22, 2003
  5. Malcolm H

    Malcolm H Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit> wrote in
    message news:gEFFb.3609$...
    > > Upon reading the instructions I have discovered that Pioneer state that

    > jpeg
    > > images which have been edited with a PC 'may' not be recognised.
    > > Can anybody tell me why this should be, and hopefully offer a solution

    > > editing my pictures to 16:9 whilst retaining compatibility with the

    > Pioneer
    > > reading system?

    > Malcolm,
    >
    > You could try my TV writer software which make images that you have edited
    > on the computer viewable once again in your digital camera or TV. You can
    > download the trial version free of charge, and you can request some sample
    > images.
    >
    > http://www.satsignal.net => Image Utilities, TVwriter
    >
    > You might even convince me to do a 16:9 special version for you!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Hi David, I tried it and it works!! I would like to buy it but why does it
    take 12 days for the licence code?

    Malcolm H, Dec 22, 2003
  6. []
    > > You could try my TV writer software which make images that you have

    edited
    > > on the computer viewable once again in your digital camera or TV. You

    can
    > > download the trial version free of charge, and you can request some

    sample
    > > images.
    > >
    > > http://www.satsignal.net => Image Utilities, TVwriter
    > >
    > > You might even convince me to do a 16:9 special version for you!
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > David

    > Hi David, I tried it and it works!! I would like to buy it but why does

    it
    > take 12 days for the licence code?

    Good news!

    I hope it says something along the lines of "Please allow up to 12 working
    days for delivery". Normally I deliver within the hour, but I do sleep
    almost every night, and sometimes even go on holiday! Try me!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 22, 2003
  7. > Good news!

    > I hope it says something along the lines of "Please allow up to 12

    working
    > days for delivery". Normally I deliver within the hour, but I do sleep
    > almost every night, and sometimes even go on holiday! Try me!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Thank you for taking me at my word, Malcolm.

    Order received: 19:21
    Licence delivered: 19:33

    Happy viewing,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 22, 2003
  8. Malcolm H

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Malcolm H wrote:

    > I have a Pioneer Plasma TV PDP-434HDE which has a wonderful feature enabling
    > digital media from cameras to be displayed directly on the plasma screen.
    > This is quite the best way of viewing digital pictures at very high quality
    > that I have experienced.
    > My problem concerns the aspect ratio. The screen is, of course, 16:9
    > whereas the pictures from the camera are 4:3. Thus pictures are displayed
    > with blank bars to the left and right. (There is a 'stretch' facility but
    > this, of course, results in objectionable geometric distortion).
    > I have tried cropping the pictures to 16:9 (using Paint Shop Pro) in the
    > hope that I would then get an undistorted full screen display.
    > Unfortunately the Pioneer electronics objects to this and cannot recognise
    > the edited images image as valid jpeg files.
    > Upon reading the instructions I have discovered that Pioneer state that jpeg
    > images which have been edited with a PC 'may' not be recognised.
    > Can anybody tell me why this should be, and hopefully offer a solution to
    > editing my pictures to 16:9 whilst retaining compatibility with the Pioneer
    > reading system?
    > TIA

    Simple answer is that Pioneer took an easy way out in writing their
    display program for the TV. Many cameras do this as well. It results
    in a rather narrow range of pictures that may be displayed, by assuming
    that the pictures will be a certain aspect ratio. I rather suspect that
    some of the 3:2 camera files wouldn't display either...

    Ron Hunter, Dec 23, 2003