    yet have ended up not even using it.

    thanks
    , Dec 28, 2005

  2. > I'm wondering if there are folks out there who
    > thought they just had to have an optical viewfinder,
    > yet have ended up not even using it.

    You're probably more likely to find people who think the opposite.
    Putting your eye to a viewfinder blocks out all distractions. You get to
    concentrate completely on your framing, and will invariably take better
    shots. It's easier to do a quick point and shoot with a LCD display, but
    to do the job properly you should be using a viewfinder.

    --
    http://www.derekfountain.org/
    Derek Fountain, Dec 28, 2005

  3. Prometheus Guest

    In article <>,
    writes
    >Gonna get my first digicam and have a viewfinder
    >question. Apparently the optical viewfinders on
    >P&S digital cameras are .......... not so great.

    They suffer from parallax error, which can be a problem closer than a
    few metres; however

    >Meantime.......... Lots of folks say they wouldn't even
    >consider a camera without an optical viewfinder.

    You can not see the image on a LCD in strong sunlight.

    >Meantime........ I've seen more than a few posts now
    >where people don't even use the viewfinder anymore.
    >They just use the display.
    >
    >I'm wondering if there are folks out there who
    >thought they just had to have an optical viewfinder,
    >yet have ended up not even using it.

    I use the optical viewfinder for all but close work with a P&S.

    --
    Ian G8ILZ
    Prometheus, Dec 28, 2005
  4. tomm42 Guest

    Unless you want to know absolutly every thing on the edges the
    viewfinders on the three or four point and shoots I've used have been
    fine. If you need to get that last person wedged into a group shot use
    the LCD. For most of your photographs the viewfinder would be faster
    and more stable, three points are always better than two. The arched
    back, hands streached out just isn't a stable pose.

    Tom
    tomm42, Dec 28, 2005
  5. Dave Cohen Guest

    "tomm42" <> wrote in message
    > Unless you want to know absolutly every thing on the edges the
    > viewfinders on the three or four point and shoots I've used have been
    > fine. If you need to get that last person wedged into a group shot use
    > the LCD. For most of your photographs the viewfinder would be faster
    > and more stable, three points are always better than two. The arched
    > back, hands streached out just isn't a stable pose.
    >
    > Tom

    If not using macro mode, I use the viewfinder, fill up to edge if necessary
    knowing I'm only seeing maybe 90% of the lcd display. For close ups I allow
    a little more space above a head.
    This all becomes very automatic, I leave the display off when shooting but
    give a quick check after taking the shot. On canon, keeping the shutter
    pressed will retain the lcd image.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Dec 28, 2005
  6. Skip M Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Gonna get my first digicam and have a viewfinder
    > question. Apparently the optical viewfinders on
    > P&S digital cameras are .......... not so great.
    >
    > Meantime.......... Lots of folks say they wouldn't even
    > consider a camera without an optical viewfinder.
    >
    > Meantime........ I've seen more than a few posts now
    > where people don't even use the viewfinder anymore.
    > They just use the display.
    >
    > I'm wondering if there are folks out there who
    > thought they just had to have an optical viewfinder,
    > yet have ended up not even using it.
    >
    > thanks

    A lot of those you see posting that they won't consider a camera without an
    optical viewfinder are talking about SLR type cameras. When you compare the
    optical viewfinder in, say, a Nikon D200 or Canon 5D to electronic
    viewfinder of a Sony R1, you'll see why. Compared to the "optical"
    viewfinder on my Casio ZX50, however, the Sony's is much better.
    And, with a DSLR, you have no choice but to use the optical viewfinder,
    there is no live preview on the LCD. Something I, for one, do not miss.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Dec 28, 2005
  7. m Ransley Guest

    With my A1 of course thats all you had, with my digital P&S I rarely use
    the viewfinder, maybe 10 times out of 1000+. I need the lcd for proper
    manual exposure and find it better overall except bright sun. I have a
    2.5" screen and would find anything smaller harder to use. 3" would be
    best.
    m Ransley, Dec 28, 2005
  8. wrote:
    > Gonna get my first digicam and have a viewfinder
    > question. Apparently the optical viewfinders on
    > P&S digital cameras are .......... not so great.
    >
    > Meantime.......... Lots of folks say they wouldn't even
    > consider a camera without an optical viewfinder.
    >
    > Meantime........ I've seen more than a few posts now
    > where people don't even use the viewfinder anymore.
    > They just use the display.
    >
    > I'm wondering if there are folks out there who
    > thought they just had to have an optical viewfinder,
    > yet have ended up not even using it.
    >
    > thanks

    I find that when I use the LCD screen to view the shot, with my arms
    out, then most of the time the pix are not sharp due to hand movement. I
    therefore peek at the LCD for framing, then hold the camera firmly to my
    face and look through the optical viewfinder.
    Morton
    Morton Linder, Dec 29, 2005
  9. <> wrote in message
    > I'm wondering if there are folks out there who
    > thought they just had to have an optical viewfinder,
    > yet have ended up not even using it.
    >
    > thanks

    I like the optical. Easier to hold the camera steady, less movement when
    framing a shot, and probably a preference from 40+ years of using film
    cameras.

    For close-ups, the display can be easier.
    Edwin Pawlowski, Dec 29, 2005
  10. Skip M Guest

    "m Ransley" <> wrote in message
    > With my A1 of course thats all you had, with my digital P&S I rarely use
    > the viewfinder, maybe 10 times out of 1000+. I need the lcd for proper
    > manual exposure and find it better overall except bright sun. I have a
    > 2.5" screen and would find anything smaller harder to use. 3" would be
    > best.

    No doubt. I just got a little Casio EX-Z50, I think I've used the
    "viewfinder" maybe twice since I got it. Pretty useless. It has a 2" LCD,
    which is ok, I'm used to looking at the 1.8" one on my 20D, the 2.5" LCD on
    my 5D is a revelation!

    Skip M, Dec 29, 2005