viewer/album software that is version aware and can tag photos?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by peter, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. peter

    peter Guest

    Many of my photos have different versions, usually an original version, and
    an edited (cropped, retouched, etc) version. Sometimes I have more than one
    edited version of the same photo.

    Is there a photo viewer/album that has the concept of versions and allows me
    to do things like:
    - view thumb nails/slide show of only the original
    - view thumb nails/slide show of only the latest edited version of each
    photo
    - quickly flip between different versions of one photo in the zoom view

    In addition, sometimes I want to bring my laptop to show a collection of
    photo to a client, tag the ones he/she likes and then later create a list of
    the selected photos. I want to be able to tag not just which photo, but
    which version, if more than one exist, of the photo as well. Plus I want to
    be able to view the thumb nails of only the tagged photos. I also need to
    maintain multiple sets of tags because I may have different clients for the
    same set of photos.

    Any pointers would be appreciated, even if just part of the requirements
    above are met.

    peter, Aug 12, 2004

  2. FWIW here is a system I have evolved

    I do not claim it is original (that would require far too much checking) nor
    do I claim it is fantastic But it does work for me and quite pleased I am
    with it too

    So, you load images to your computer from digicam and, of course, you create
    a special folder or use the default folder name. This is OK so far. Notice
    that the images are coded <some alphabetic characters><image number>

    Well, I keep the images in the folder as prime images I will not work on
    these directly cos when I did so in the past it becaim a real pain in the
    but finding them again was worse than that.

    So, for this example, I have image number 624 and I want to work on it and
    explore techniques. now before this gets all toooo complicated by faarr I
    have prime storage folders in a (erm) prime image folder. These are pics as
    they arrive from digicam.

    I also have my worked image folder containing folders of (erm) worked images
    or WIP

    Back to the example, image 624 looks good for a bit of tweaking so
    1 - in WIP (worked image folders) I create folder called 624 (Yes! It is
    outstandingly original and has an amazing and immediate link to the prime
    image file straight away)

    2 - copy prime image #624 to folder 624 (with me so far? this is the easy
    bit)

    3 - then I open image 624 from the folder called 624 and I start working on
    it.

    4 - every twaeked, twiddled, worked image of 624 file is saved in the 624
    folder and makes it easy to find afterwards

    It really sounds far more complicated than it is and Picasa seems to work
    well with it too :)

    I hope this helps - next time I will charge consultancy feees :-]

    Arts

    Arty Phacting, Aug 12, 2004

  3. peter

    Pepe Guest

    Hej,
    FotoStation 4.5 eller bättre klarar av det du nämner.
    här hittar du det:
    <http://www.fotoware.com/Products/FotoStationPro/>

    Du kan ladda hem en testversion som varar i 30 dagar.

    Prova och se om du blir nöjd.
    Det är speciellt bra på IPTC profil och EXIF.
    Fullt kompatibelt med Adobe PhotoShop 7
    och NIKON Capture samt andra kameror.

    Lycka till

    Pepe

    Pepe, Aug 12, 2004
  4. peter

    Pepe Guest

    Hello,
    FotoStation 4.5 or better can do what you mention.
    You will find it here:
    <http://www.fotoware.com/Products/FotoStationPro/>

    You can download a testversion for 30 days.

    Try it and se if it fullfills you wish.
    It is a specially good for IPTC profil and EXIF.
    Fully compatibel with Adobe PhotoShop 7
    and NIKON Capture but also other cameras.

    Good Luck

    Pepe

    Pepe, Aug 12, 2004