    was hoping some might have some software, tips or tricks that might help
    me just speed the computer up a little.

    Thank you in advance for your help.
    Shane, Aug 15, 2004

  2. Shane

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Shane <> wrote in news:qICdnecUTNlkN4LcRVn-
    :

    > Hey,
    > I have a Gateway 2000 that is fairly odd in terms of computers and is
    > running Windows 2000. I have two questions about this system.
    >
    > 1.) How can I access the list of startup programs? I know in every
    > other version of windows you can use msconfig but Windows 2000 does not
    > have msconfig so does anyone know of a way I can view the start up.

    MSconfig.exe from Win 98 or XP will work on Win 2k.

    > 2.) How can I speed up the computer without getting hardware? I have
    > cleared all of the temporary files that I now of, mainly internet ones.
    > But the computer is still often pretty slow and I know installing
    > RAM would probably help fix this problem but it will probably be
    > replaced in another year anyway so that is just not going to happen. I
    > was hoping some might have some software, tips or tricks that might help
    > me just speed the computer up a little.

    You need to get more RAM. It's as simple as that.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 15, 2004

  3. "Shane" <> wrote in message
    > Hey,
    > I have a Gateway 2000 that is fairly odd in terms of computers and is
    > running Windows 2000. I have two questions about this system.
    >
    > 1.) How can I access the list of startup programs? I know in every
    > other version of windows you can use msconfig but Windows 2000 does not
    > have msconfig so does anyone know of a way I can view the start up.
    >
    > 2.) How can I speed up the computer without getting hardware? I have
    > cleared all of the temporary files that I now of, mainly internet ones.
    > But the computer is still often pretty slow and I know installing
    > RAM would probably help fix this problem but it will probably be
    > replaced in another year anyway so that is just not going to happen. I
    > was hoping some might have some software, tips or tricks that might help
    > me just speed the computer up a little.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your help.

    Hi Shane,

    Regseeker is a registry cleaner that also allows you to view the startup
    list and delete any..
    http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
    Check "Backup before deletion" on the lower left corner in case you make a
    mistake. Minimising the number of programs on startup will increase speed.

    I have found that removing malware etc found by running Adaware, Spybot S&D
    and uninstalling unused programs also speeds up older computers.
    AdAware - http://www.lavasoft.de
    Spybot S&D - http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html
    Richard McCann, Aug 15, 2004
  4. I like and use StartupCPL. Never had a problem with it. Get it here:

    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    Shane <> chiseled in stone, the following words

    @}-}-------Rosee, Aug 16, 2004