    I have a home wireless network with a laptop and a desktop computer running
    XP. I want to be able to view and use the laptop's desktop screen from the
    other computer. I can't figure out how to set it up. I need instructions.

    Mel, Mar 18, 2008

  2. "Mel" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I have a home wireless network with a laptop and a desktop computer

    running
    > XP. I want to be able to view and use the laptop's desktop screen from the
    > other computer. I can't figure out how to set it up. I need instructions.
    >
    > In an earlier post Jack (MVP-Networking) thought I wanted a remote

    desktop.
    > I thank Jack for the input but this is not what I wanted.

    But being "able to view and use the laptop's desktop screen from the
    other computer" is what MS calls Remote operation.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Don Phillipson, Mar 18, 2008

  3. "Mel" <> wrote in message
    > In an earlier post Jack (MVP-Networking) thought I wanted a remote
    > desktop. I thank Jack for the input but this is not what I wanted.
    >
    > I have a home wireless network with a laptop and a desktop computer
    > running XP. I want to be able to view and use the laptop's desktop screen
    > from the other computer. I can't figure out how to set it up. I need
    > instructions.

    Jack pointed you in the right direction. You would need to use Remote
    Desktop ( if the laptop is running XP Pro or MCE) or VNC (if the laptop is
    running XP Home) to do that. Another alternative, particularly for a help
    desk type function, is a program like Remote Assistance or TeamViewer that
    would allow you to both view and gain control of a remote PC desktop. If
    the laptop was running Linux you could use a remote X display but that is
    not an option in your case.

    http://www.uvnc.com/
    http://www.realvnc.com/support/getting-started.html

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteAssistance/RemoteAssistance.html

    http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

    Sooner Al [MVP], Mar 18, 2008
  4. Mel

    John Guest

    "Mel" <> wrote in message
    > In an earlier post Jack (MVP-Networking) thought I wanted a remote
    > desktop. I thank Jack for the input but this is not what I wanted.

    Sorry, I agree with Jack. Remote desktop is what you want.

    > I have a home wireless network with a laptop and a desktop computer
    > running XP. I want to be able to view and use the laptop's desktop screen
    > from the other computer.

    Can you explain what "view and use the laptop's desktop screen from the
    other computer" mean?

    John, Mar 19, 2008