    running Firefox 2.0.0.3. I can resolve this by opening those pages
    in IE, but if I do so many pages in IE, what's the point of using
    Firefox? Any suggestions or is this just the nature of the beast?
    Big Shoe, May 1, 2007

  2. Big Shoe wrote:
    > I have searched through the various posts on this subject and now know
    > that I am not alone in being unable to play videos on many sites. For
    > example, CNN does not work. Neither does MSN or MSNBC, but I can
    > somewhat understand that. I have not been able to locate the problem,
    > I keep gettting messages that various plugins are needed, and have
    > installed everything it asks for, but still get the messages. I'm
    > running Firefox 2.0.0.3. I can resolve this by opening those pages
    > in IE, but if I do so many pages in IE, what's the point of using
    > Firefox? Any suggestions or is this just the nature of the beast?

    Lets do this on a page by page situation
    Since you mentioned CNN by name, we will start there
    Http://www.cnn.com?

    hmmm, that defaults to
    http://edition.cnn.com

    I click on the Thabiti Boone image and it launches a popup in which the
    video plays.

    What do you get? Exactly - the specific error message (or other
    artifact) displayed is what we are looking for
    Moz Champion (Dan), May 1, 2007

  3. Big Shoe

    Big Shoe Guest

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 17:56:49 GMT, "Moz Champion (Dan)"
    <> wrote:

    >Big Shoe wrote:
    >> I have searched through the various posts on this subject and now know
    >> that I am not alone in being unable to play videos on many sites. For
    >> example, CNN does not work. Neither does MSN or MSNBC, but I can
    >> somewhat understand that. I have not been able to locate the problem,
    >> I keep gettting messages that various plugins are needed, and have
    >> installed everything it asks for, but still get the messages. I'm
    >> running Firefox 2.0.0.3. I can resolve this by opening those pages
    >> in IE, but if I do so many pages in IE, what's the point of using
    >> Firefox? Any suggestions or is this just the nature of the beast?

    >Lets do this on a page by page situation
    >Since you mentioned CNN by name, we will start there
    >Http://www.cnn.com?
    >
    >hmmm, that defaults to
    >http://edition.cnn.com
    >
    >I click on the Thabiti Boone image and it launches a popup in which the
    >video plays.
    >
    >What do you get? Exactly - the specific error message (or other
    >artifact) displayed is what we are looking for

    I get a popup that says:

    The CNN com video experience is optimized for Windows Media Player 9
    or above
    No Windows Media Player detected
    Get the Player

    Of course, I have the player, Version 10, and it works in IE but not
    in Firefox

    I have selected the "Get the Player" box, and it goes through the
    motions of installing the player, but it does not change anything. I
    have looked through the available add-ons but have not found anything
    obvious there., so I am out of ideas.

    If I try to run videos on MSN.com, I get a screen that tells me I need
    to download Firefox version 1.5 and download Macromedia Flash Player.
    Again, these videos run in IE.

    Thanks for any help you can give on this as I'm not a great fan of
    Microsoft and would rather stay with Firefox.
    Big Shoe, May 2, 2007
  4. Big Shoe wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 May 2007 17:56:49 GMT, "Moz Champion (Dan)"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Big Shoe wrote:
    >>> I have searched through the various posts on this subject and now know
    >>> that I am not alone in being unable to play videos on many sites. For
    >>> example, CNN does not work. Neither does MSN or MSNBC, but I can
    >>> somewhat understand that. I have not been able to locate the problem,
    >>> I keep gettting messages that various plugins are needed, and have
    >>> installed everything it asks for, but still get the messages. I'm
    >>> running Firefox 2.0.0.3. I can resolve this by opening those pages
    >>> in IE, but if I do so many pages in IE, what's the point of using
    >>> Firefox? Any suggestions or is this just the nature of the beast?

    >> Lets do this on a page by page situation
    >> Since you mentioned CNN by name, we will start there
    >> Http://www.cnn.com?
    >>
    >> hmmm, that defaults to
    >> http://edition.cnn.com
    >>
    >> I click on the Thabiti Boone image and it launches a popup in which the
    >> video plays.
    >>
    >> What do you get? Exactly - the specific error message (or other
    >> artifact) displayed is what we are looking for

    > I get a popup that says:
    >
    > The CNN com video experience is optimized for Windows Media Player 9
    > or above
    > No Windows Media Player detected
    > Get the Player
    >
    > Of course, I have the player, Version 10, and it works in IE but not
    > in Firefox
    >
    > I have selected the "Get the Player" box, and it goes through the
    > motions of installing the player, but it does not change anything. I
    > have looked through the available add-ons but have not found anything
    > obvious there., so I am out of ideas.
    >
    > If I try to run videos on MSN.com, I get a screen that tells me I need
    > to download Firefox version 1.5 and download Macromedia Flash Player.
    > Again, these videos run in IE.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can give on this as I'm not a great fan of
    > Microsoft and would rather stay with Firefox.

    I actually use QuickTime for the videos, but then I am on a Mac.
    Did you install the WMP 10 into Firefox?
    See this page for installation notes
    http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#WMP
    Moz Champion (Dan), May 2, 2007
  5. Big Shoe

    Karl S Guest

    On Tue, 01 May 2007 09:12:38 -0400, Big Shoe wrote:

    > I have searched through the various posts on this subject and now know
    > that I am not alone in being unable to play videos on many sites. For
    > example, CNN does not work. Neither does MSN or MSNBC, but I can
    > somewhat understand that. I have not been able to locate the problem,
    > I keep gettting messages that various plugins are needed, and have
    > installed everything it asks for, but still get the messages. I'm
    > running Firefox 2.0.0.3. I can resolve this by opening those pages
    > in IE, but if I do so many pages in IE, what's the point of using
    > Firefox? Any suggestions or is this just the nature of the beast?

    I often have this problem, especially with CNN. When I do, I start Firefox
    in safe mode. If the videos play ok in safe mode, it usually means that the
    problem is caused by one of my extensions. I then disable my extensions one
    at a time to see which one is causing the problem.

    I'm not a Firefox expert, but this works for me.
    Karl S, May 2, 2007
  6. Big Shoe

    Big Shoe Guest

    On Wed, 02 May 2007 03:46:21 GMT, "Moz Champion (Dan)"
    <> wrote:

    >Big Shoe wrote:
    >> On Tue, 01 May 2007 17:56:49 GMT, "Moz Champion (Dan)"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Lets do this on a page by page situation
    >>> Since you mentioned CNN by name, we will start there
    >>> Http://www.cnn.com?
    >>>
    >>> hmmm, that defaults to
    >>> http://edition.cnn.com
    >>>
    >>> I click on the Thabiti Boone image and it launches a popup in which the
    >>> video plays.
    >>>
    >>> What do you get? Exactly - the specific error message (or other
    >>> artifact) displayed is what we are looking for

    >> I get a popup that says:
    >>
    >> The CNN com video experience is optimized for Windows Media Player 9
    >> or above
    >> No Windows Media Player detected
    >> Get the Player
    >>
    >> Of course, I have the player, Version 10, and it works in IE but not
    >> in Firefox
    >>
    >> I have selected the "Get the Player" box, and it goes through the
    >> motions of installing the player, but it does not change anything. I
    >> have looked through the available add-ons but have not found anything
    >> obvious there., so I am out of ideas.
    >>
    >> If I try to run videos on MSN.com, I get a screen that tells me I need
    >> to download Firefox version 1.5 and download Macromedia Flash Player.
    >> Again, these videos run in IE.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help you can give on this as I'm not a great fan of
    >> Microsoft and would rather stay with Firefox.

    >I actually use QuickTime for the videos, but then I am on a Mac.
    >Did you install the WMP 10 into Firefox?
    >See this page for installation notes
    >http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html#WMP

    I did everything your link called for - no help. I am beginning to
    think you Mac users are onto something. Trying to keep a PC working
    can be a hassle.
    Big Shoe, May 2, 2007
  7. Big Shoe

    Big Shoe Guest

    On Wed, 2 May 2007 06:48:17 -0700, Karl S <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 01 May 2007 09:12:38 -0400, Big Shoe wrote:
    >
    >> I have searched through the various posts on this subject and now know
    >> that I am not alone in being unable to play videos on many sites. For
    >> example, CNN does not work. Neither does MSN or MSNBC, but I can
    >> somewhat understand that. I have not been able to locate the problem,
    >> I keep gettting messages that various plugins are needed, and have
    >> installed everything it asks for, but still get the messages. I'm
    >> running Firefox 2.0.0.3. I can resolve this by opening those pages
    >> in IE, but if I do so many pages in IE, what's the point of using
    >> Firefox? Any suggestions or is this just the nature of the beast?

    >I often have this problem, especially with CNN. When I do, I start Firefox
    >in safe mode. If the videos play ok in safe mode, it usually means that the
    >problem is caused by one of my extensions. I then disable my extensions one
    >at a time to see which one is causing the problem.
    >
    >I'm not a Firefox expert, but this works for me.

    You are absolutely right, CNN videos do play if I start Firefox in
    safe mode - great tip, thanks. I haven't started troubleshooting yet
    to figure out which extension is causing the problem.
    Big Shoe, May 3, 2007
  8. Big Shoe

    Jackson Guest

    On Thu, 03 May 2007 09:30:27 -0400, Big Shoe
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 2 May 2007 06:48:17 -0700, Karl S <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 01 May 2007 09:12:38 -0400, Big Shoe wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have searched through the various posts on this subject and now know
    >>> that I am not alone in being unable to play videos on many sites. For
    >>> example, CNN does not work. Neither does MSN or MSNBC, but I can
    >>> somewhat understand that. I have not been able to locate the problem,
    >>> I keep gettting messages that various plugins are needed, and have
    >>> installed everything it asks for, but still get the messages. I'm
    >>> running Firefox 2.0.0.3. I can resolve this by opening those pages
    >>> in IE, but if I do so many pages in IE, what's the point of using
    >>> Firefox? Any suggestions or is this just the nature of the beast?

    >>I often have this problem, especially with CNN. When I do, I start Firefox
    >>in safe mode. If the videos play ok in safe mode, it usually means that the
    >>problem is caused by one of my extensions. I then disable my extensions one
    >>at a time to see which one is causing the problem.
    >>
    >>I'm not a Firefox expert, but this works for me.

    >You are absolutely right, CNN videos do play if I start Firefox in
    >safe mode - great tip, thanks. I haven't started troubleshooting yet
    >to figure out which extension is causing the problem.

    Please post the extension if you identify it.
    Jackson, May 4, 2007