    start again.
    Many videos play perfectly though.
    Any ideas how to fix it?
    Mastic, Feb 17, 2013

  2. Mastic

    Mastic Guest

    I have tried updating Flash several times but it doesn't help. An
    interesting thing is that Flash doesn't work in Internet Explorer but
    when a Youtube video is misbehaving in Firefox I can run it perfectly
    in IE.

    Mastic, Feb 23, 2013

  3. Mastic

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 06:19:30 +1100, Mastic wrote:

    > I have tried updating Flash several times but it doesn't help. An
    > interesting thing is that Flash doesn't work in Internet Explorer but
    > when a Youtube video is misbehaving in Firefox I can run it perfectly
    > in IE.

    Two things to check

    1. IE does not use the same Flash plugin that Firefox uses.

    Firefox uses the Flash plugin, file name: NPSWF32_11_6_602_168.dll (for version 11.6.602.168)
    IE uses the Flash ActiveX, file name: Flash32_11_6_602_168.ocx (for version 11.6.602.168)

    Perhaps your experience is due to a difference between
    the Flash plugin and the Flash ActiveX. Try it in Opera
    which does use the same Flash plugin that Firefox uses.

    2. Check whether YouTube has enrolled you in its HTML5 trial.
    Check separately in both Firefox and IE.
    See http://www.youtube.com/html5

    Your version of IE can be relevant here. IE8 and earlier
    are not eligible for the HTML5 trial.

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Feb 24, 2013
  4. Mastic

    Mastic Guest

    Hi Ralph, my answers and comments are interleaved below:

    >> I have tried updating Flash several times but it doesn't help. An
    >> interesting thing is that Flash doesn't work in Internet Explorer but
    >> when a Youtube video is misbehaving in Firefox I can run it perfectly
    >> in IE.

    >Two things to check
    >
    >1. IE does not use the same Flash plugin that Firefox uses.
    >
    > Firefox uses the Flash plugin, file name: NPSWF32_11_6_602_168.dll (for version 11.6.602.168)
    > IE uses the Flash ActiveX, file name: Flash32_11_6_602_168.ocx (for version 11.6.602.168)

    I uninstalled the flash plug in (Not the IE Flash program) tried
    running a Youtube video that naturally didn't work and asked me if I
    wanted to install flash, I click yes and start the download-install
    process. Interestingly AVG anti virus picks up a trojan load in the
    installed program, I tell AVG to repair the infection and it tells me
    it is now clean.

    I run a Youtube video and try stopping and starting it, it *won't*
    start again. I fire up Opera and run the same video, it runs
    perfectly, stop and starting works, fast forward a back spacing the
    video all work.

    > Perhaps your experience is due to a difference between
    > the Flash plugin and the Flash ActiveX. Try it in Opera
    > which does use the same Flash plugin that Firefox uses.
    >

    >2. Check whether YouTube has enrolled you in its HTML5 trial.
    > Check separately in both Firefox and IE.
    > See http://www.youtube.com/html5

    I was enrolled in the HTML5 trial, (Without requesting it) so I
    removed myself from the trial and tried running the same video as
    above. It still misbehaved. Stopping it caused it to freeze so
    nothing worked and it would not start again.

    > Your version of IE can be relevant here. IE8 and earlier
    > are not eligible for the HTML5 trial.

    My IE is version 8. Flash did work okay before, Youtube videos do
    work perfectly in it now. I try not to use IE if possible because I
    consider it an inferior browser.
    Mastic, Mar 18, 2013
  5. Mastic

    Mastic Guest