VideoReDo Problem

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Citizen Bob, Dec 20, 2006.

  1. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    Version 2.2.1.445

    I have an mpg clip in which the audio is out of sync by about 1/2
    second. So I invoke "Adjust Audio Syncronization" in the main editor
    and it fixes the audio when I play the clip.

    I select beginning and ending points, Add Selection and then do a Save
    As. However the resulting saved clip does not have the audio in sync.

    The Help files claim that the Saved clip should have the audio fixed,
    but that did not happen. What is going wrong?

    --

    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a
    few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving,

    Citizen Bob, Dec 20, 2006

  2. "Citizen Bob" <> wrote in message
    > Version 2.2.1.445
    >
    > I have an mpg clip in which the audio is out of sync by about 1/2
    > second. So I invoke "Adjust Audio Syncronization" in the main editor
    > and it fixes the audio when I play the clip.
    >
    > I select beginning and ending points, Add Selection and then do a Save
    > As. However the resulting saved clip does not have the audio in sync.
    >
    > The Help files claim that the Saved clip should have the audio fixed,
    > but that did not happen. What is going wrong?

    Are you sure you saved to a different filename and checked that new file?

    Max Haltermann, Dec 21, 2006

  3. Citizen Bob

    dgates Guest

    On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 20:02:02 GMT, (Citizen Bob) wrote:

    >Version 2.2.1.445
    >
    >I have an mpg clip in which the audio is out of sync by about 1/2
    >second. So I invoke "Adjust Audio Syncronization" in the main editor
    >and it fixes the audio when I play the clip.
    >
    >I select beginning and ending points, Add Selection and then do a Save
    >As. However the resulting saved clip does not have the audio in sync.
    >
    >The Help files claim that the Saved clip should have the audio fixed,
    >but that did not happen. What is going wrong?

    You might want to go here to ask for VideoReDo-specific help:

    http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/index.php

    dgates, Dec 21, 2006
  4. "dgates" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 20:02:02 GMT, (Citizen Bob) wrote:
    >
    >>Version 2.2.1.445
    >>
    >>I have an mpg clip in which the audio is out of sync by about 1/2
    >>second. So I invoke "Adjust Audio Syncronization" in the main editor
    >>and it fixes the audio when I play the clip.
    >>
    >>I select beginning and ending points, Add Selection and then do a Save
    >>As. However the resulting saved clip does not have the audio in sync.
    >>
    >>The Help files claim that the Saved clip should have the audio fixed,
    >>but that did not happen. What is going wrong?

    > You might want to go here to ask for VideoReDo-specific help:
    >
    > http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/index.php

    And you get superb personal service here

    Good luck,
    Max

    Max Haltermann, Dec 21, 2006
  5. Citizen Bob

    Ken Maltby Guest

    > Version 2.2.1.445
    >
    > I have an mpg clip in which the audio is out of sync by about 1/2
    > second. So I invoke "Adjust Audio Syncronization" in the main editor
    > and it fixes the audio when I play the clip.
    >
    > I select beginning and ending points, Add Selection and then do a Save
    > As. However the resulting saved clip does not have the audio in sync.
    >
    > The Help files claim that the Saved clip should have the audio fixed,
    > but that did not happen. What is going wrong?

    I use the "Cut mode" not the "Selection mode", but why not edit
    your clip and "Save As" that. Then load that, by selecting the top
    item in the listing on the bottom of the "File" tab and THEN doing
    the Audio Synchronization.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Dec 21, 2006
  6. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:09:01 +1100, "Max Haltermann"
    <> wrote:

    >Are you sure you saved to a different filename and checked that new file?

    Yes. VRD will change the name by adding [2] to the name and I did
    check the new one.

    --

    "All men seek to be enlightened. Religion is but the most ancient
    and honorable way in which men have striven to make sense out of

    Citizen Bob, Dec 21, 2006
  7. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 00:21:25 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
    <> wrote:

    > I use the "Cut mode" not the "Selection mode", but why not edit
    >your clip and "Save As" that. Then load that, by selecting the top
    >item in the listing on the bottom of the "File" tab and THEN doing
    >the Audio Synchronization.

    I do not want to edit the clip. I want to sync the audio.

    I have done this successfully before with an older version of VRD. But
    I cannot get it to work with this newer version.

    There is something fishy about this clip. It came to me as some other
    kind of file type (I forgot which) which I converted to mpg. How do I
    get VRD to standardize it so the sync will work.

    Citizen Bob, Dec 21, 2006
  8. Citizen Bob

    Ken Maltby Guest

    > On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 00:21:25 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I use the "Cut mode" not the "Selection mode", but why not edit
    >>your clip and "Save As" that. Then load that, by selecting the top
    >>item in the listing on the bottom of the "File" tab and THEN doing
    >>the Audio Synchronization.

    > I do not want to edit the clip. I want to sync the audio.

    Then what is this all about: "I select beginning and ending points,
    Add Selection and then do a Save As. However the resulting
    saved clip does not have the audio in sync." It sounds like you
    are saving selected portions of the clip/file you opened in VRD.

    > I have done this successfully before with an older version of VRD. But
    > I cannot get it to work with this newer version.
    >
    > There is something fishy about this clip. It came to me as some other
    > kind of file type (I forgot which) which I converted to mpg. How do I
    > get VRD to standardize it so the sync will work.

    You could try what I described in my last post.

    If you are saying that you aren't making selected smaller clips
    from a larger original file, then just use the QuickFix tool on the
    file, and then open the fixed file in VRD, to do the resyncing.
    /Ken

    Ken Maltby, Dec 21, 2006
  9. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 08:44:14 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
    <> wrote:

    > If you are saying that you aren't making selected smaller clips
    >from a larger original file, then just use the QuickFix tool on the
    >file, and then open the fixed file in VRD, to do the resyncing.

    As mentioned I tried that but it did not work. Then I decided to see
    what would happen if I did cut the clip a small amount. Then it
    worked.

    Further experiments showed that you do not have to cut anything off
    the end, and the minimum amount that must be cut off the beginning
    appears to be 20 frames. I tried to cut just 15 frames but that did
    not work.

    This is a bug, which does not really surprise me for VRD, because it
    is bug-ridden. It won't save properly unless a small amount is cut off
    the beginning.

    Citizen Bob, Dec 21, 2006
  10. Citizen Bob

    <> wrote:

    >> I do not want to edit the clip. I want to sync the audio.

    > Then what is this all about: "I select beginning and ending points,
    >Add Selection and then do a Save As. However the resulting
    >saved clip does not have the audio in sync." It sounds like you
    >are saving selected portions of the clip/file you opened in VRD.

    I did not want to do any editing but I had to in order to Save the
    clip. Also, the beginning and ending points were the extremes of the
    clip. IOW I did not crop the clip.

    > You could try what I described in my last post.

    Yes, but first I would like to know why the procedure I am using,
    which is exactly as specified in the Help file, is not working. If I
    am doing something wrong, then changing the method of editing would
    not make any difference.

    > If you are saying that you aren't making selected smaller clips
    >from a larger original file,

    That is correct.

    >then just use the QuickFix tool on the
    >file, and then open the fixed file in VRD, to do the resyncing.

    OK, I will now try that...

    OK, I did that. I QuickFixed the original clip and then imported the
    fixed clip into the editor and fixed the audio sync. I played
    perfectly on the editor display. Then I Saved As to a third file. But
    the sync was still not correct in this third file.

    It's as if VRD is ignoring the sync-corrected clip in the editor and
    saving the imported file instead.

    I did not have this problem before I upgraded. I may have to uninstall
    this version and install the older one which I saved on an archive
    disk.

    Citizen Bob, Dec 21, 2006
  11. Citizen Bob

    dgates Guest

    On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 18:39:17 GMT, (Citizen Bob) wrote:

    >On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 08:44:14 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>> I do not want to edit the clip. I want to sync the audio.

    >> Then what is this all about: "I select beginning and ending points,
    >>Add Selection and then do a Save As. However the resulting
    >>saved clip does not have the audio in sync." It sounds like you
    >>are saving selected portions of the clip/file you opened in VRD.

    >I did not want to do any editing but I had to in order to Save the
    >clip. Also, the beginning and ending points were the extremes of the
    >clip. IOW I did not crop the clip.
    >
    >> You could try what I described in my last post.

    >Yes, but first I would like to know why the procedure I am using,
    >which is exactly as specified in the Help file, is not working. If I
    >am doing something wrong, then changing the method of editing would
    >not make any difference.
    >
    >> If you are saying that you aren't making selected smaller clips
    >>from a larger original file,

    >That is correct.
    >
    >>then just use the QuickFix tool on the
    >>file, and then open the fixed file in VRD, to do the resyncing.

    >OK, I will now try that...
    >
    >OK, I did that. I QuickFixed the original clip and then imported the
    >fixed clip into the editor and fixed the audio sync. I played
    >perfectly on the editor display. Then I Saved As to a third file. But
    >the sync was still not correct in this third file.
    >
    >It's as if VRD is ignoring the sync-corrected clip in the editor and
    >saving the imported file instead.
    >
    >I did not have this problem before I upgraded. I may have to uninstall
    >this version and install the older one which I saved on an archive
    >disk.

    There's a step during the Save As where you have some options on what
    to do with the file -- specifically with the audio, IIRC.

    This might be a moment where you have to tell VideoReDo to save the
    audio in one of the files it's capable of encoding?

    I'd be curious about the audio format of

    your original file
    the successful save where you had to clip 20 frames
    the unsuccessful save

    Again, I think you should be asking this on the VideoReDo forums,
    where they say things like "Hit Ctrl-L, paste the contents of what you
    see and we'll tell you how to fix it."

    BTW, if you really have to dump 20 frames from the beginning, maybe
    you should start by joining some 20-frame clip to the beginning of
    this clip you're trying to save.

    dgates, Dec 21, 2006
  12. Citizen Bob

    Guest

    "Citizen Bob" <> wrote in message news:...
    > On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 08:44:14 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > If you are saying that you aren't making selected smaller clips
    > >from a larger original file, then just use the QuickFix tool on the
    > >file, and then open the fixed file in VRD, to do the resyncing.

    > As mentioned I tried that but it did not work. Then I decided to see
    > what would happen if I did cut the clip a small amount. Then it
    > worked.
    >
    > Further experiments showed that you do not have to cut anything off
    > the end, and the minimum amount that must be cut off the beginning
    > appears to be 20 frames. I tried to cut just 15 frames but that did
    > not work.

    I've never run into this with VRD. I routinely load files, and
    immediately do a quick fix on them. It works, and nothing
    else is required.

    , Dec 21, 2006
  13. Citizen Bob

    Bob Adams Guest

    In message <>, Citizen Bob
    <> writes
    >This is a bug, which does not really surprise me for VRD, because it is
    >bug-ridden.

    Bug-ridden? Is it really? Well, it works fine for me. What other bugs
    have you found apart from it won't play nicely with some strange clip
    that you have converted to mpg with something else from some other
    unknown format? Hmm?

    Bob

    Bob Adams, Dec 22, 2006
  14. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 20:19:40 GMT, ""
    <> wrote:

    >> > If you are saying that you aren't making selected smaller clips
    >> >from a larger original file, then just use the QuickFix tool on the
    >> >file, and then open the fixed file in VRD, to do the resyncing.

    >> As mentioned I tried that but it did not work. Then I decided to see
    >> what would happen if I did cut the clip a small amount. Then it
    >> worked.

    >> Further experiments showed that you do not have to cut anything off
    >> the end, and the minimum amount that must be cut off the beginning
    >> appears to be 20 frames. I tried to cut just 15 frames but that did
    >> not work.

    >I've never run into this with VRD. I routinely load files, and
    >immediately do a quick fix on them. It works, and nothing
    >else is required.

    Did you read the entire thread? Obviously not.

    The problem was not with Quick Fix but with saving a clip in the
    editor while applying the Sybchronize Audio tool. If you do not cut a
    small amount off the beginning, the saved clip will not have the audio
    sync fixed.

    Citizen Bob, Dec 22, 2006
  15. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:29:14 GMT, Bob Adams <> wrote:

    >>This is a bug, which does not really surprise me for VRD, because it is
    >>bug-ridden.

    >Bug-ridden?

    Yes.

    >Is it really?

    Yes.

    >Well, it works fine for me.

    Good for you.

    But I am not you.

    >What other bugs
    >have you found apart from it won't play nicely with some strange clip
    >that you have converted to mpg with something else from some other
    >unknown format?

    Locking up is the biggest problem I have had to face. Failure to
    perform is the next biggest problem.

    If VRD doesn't like a clip, then it should reject it without locking
    up or not work properly.

    I can cite example of each, but then I am not a beta test site so I
    have no desire to do so. The only reason I brought this bug up here is
    because I was stumped. But Ken gave me a clue when he said something
    about cutting the clip.

    The guy who wrote VRD obviously did not pay attention to exceptions
    and he has empty stubs. The result is bug-ridden code.

    >Hmm?

    Hmm...

    Citizen Bob, Dec 22, 2006
  16. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:04:30 -0800, dgates <>
    wrote:

    >There's a step during the Save As where you have some options on what
    >to do with the file -- specifically with the audio, IIRC.

    >This might be a moment where you have to tell VideoReDo to save the
    >audio in one of the files it's capable of encoding?

    >I'd be curious about the audio format of

    >your original file
    >the successful save where you had to clip 20 frames
    >the unsuccessful save

    >Again, I think you should be asking this on the VideoReDo forums,
    >where they say things like "Hit Ctrl-L, paste the contents of what you
    >see and we'll tell you how to fix it."

    I do not use VRD that much, so it is not worth the effort to make a
    big deal out of this. I offered to be a beta test site, but the
    developer said he did not need any beta test site.

    >BTW, if you really have to dump 20 frames from the beginning, maybe
    >you should start by joining some 20-frame clip to the beginning of
    >this clip you're trying to save.

    I believe the problem is in those first 20 frames and by cutting them
    VRD can sync the rest of the clip when it saves it. IOW, what it
    should do is throw an exception but it doesn't and goes merrily about
    saving the old clip instead.

    Citizen Bob, Dec 22, 2006
  17. Citizen Bob

    Mark W Guest

    > Version 2.2.1.445
    >
    > I have an mpg clip in which the audio is out of sync by about 1/2
    > second. So I invoke "Adjust Audio Syncronization" in the main editor
    > and it fixes the audio when I play the clip.
    >
    > I select beginning and ending points, Add Selection and then do a Save
    > As. However the resulting saved clip does not have the audio in sync.
    >
    > The Help files claim that the Saved clip should have the audio fixed,
    > but that did not happen. What is going wrong?

    You could try re-encoding the whole clip with the fixed audio and then edit
    from that...

    Mark W, Dec 22, 2006
  18. Citizen Bob

    Bob Adams Guest

    In message <>, Citizen Bob
    <> writes
    >I do not use VRD that much, so it is not worth the effort to make a big
    >deal out of this. I offered to be a beta test site, but the developer
    >said he did not need any beta test site.

    Perhaps he didn't feel you were overly qualified. ;-)

    Bob Adams, Dec 22, 2006
  19. On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:29:14 GMT, Bob Adams <> wrote:

    >In message <>, Citizen Bob
    ><> writes
    >>This is a bug, which does not really surprise me for VRD, because it is
    >>bug-ridden.

    >Bug-ridden? Is it really? Well, it works fine for me. What other bugs
    >have you found apart from it won't play nicely with some strange clip
    >that you have converted to mpg with something else from some other
    >unknown format? Hmm?
    >
    > Bob

    It works perfectly o.k. for me. No problems what so ever.
    Am very pleased with it.

    Alan Keatinge

    Alan Keatinge, Dec 22, 2006
  20. Citizen Bob

    Citizen Bob Guest

    On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 18:25:11 -0000, "Mark W" <s@o> wrote:

    >> The Help files claim that the Saved clip should have the audio fixed,
    >> but that did not happen. What is going wrong?

    >You could try re-encoding the whole clip with the fixed audio and then edit
    >from that...

    As I pointed out I discovered the problem. VRD does not save the new
    file unless it has been altered by cutting a small amount off the
    front.

    Citizen Bob, Dec 23, 2006