    I just want to send a 2 min video in an email & no doubt the recipient will
    be using 1 of those internet cafes (Canada/Europe).
    Cheers
    susie, Nov 3, 2003

  2. susie

    T.N.O. Guest

    susie wrote:

    > Hey there
    > Can someone tell me what's the best format to send video in?
    > I just want to send a 2 min video in an email & no doubt the recipient will
    > be using 1 of those internet cafes (Canada/Europe).
    > Cheers

    MPEG? divx? something small.
    T.N.O., Nov 3, 2003

  3. susie

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "susie" <> wrote in message
    > Hey there
    > Can someone tell me what's the best format to send video in?
    > I just want to send a 2 min video in an email & no doubt the recipient

    will
    > be using 1 of those internet cafes (Canada/Europe).
    > Cheers

    You're best to make it good quality, and then use MS Moviemaker to convert
    it to a very compressed windows media video to keep the size of the file
    right down to a MB or 2 at the very most. No one would want to be on the
    receiving end of a 50MB plus video download, which they most likely will
    never get. Their email account might have a set limit anyway.
    If there's no sound on the short video, that's better still to keep the size
    down while making the video watch. When you go to convert and save the
    video using Moviemaker it will give you the options of quality / resolution
    and what the size of the file will be for any option that's selected.
    You might want to think about splitting it into 2 small videos which you can
    do with Moviemaker as well to keep the quality up a bit somewhat.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Nov 3, 2003
  4. susie

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > susie wrote:
    >
    > > Hey there
    > > Can someone tell me what's the best format to send video in?
    > > I just want to send a 2 min video in an email & no doubt the recipient

    will
    > > be using 1 of those internet cafes (Canada/Europe).
    > > Cheers

    > MPEG? divx? something small.

    An Internet cafe probably wouldn't have the Divx codec as there wouldn't be
    a need to have Divx on their set-ups.
    Windows Media format using Moviemaker to convert the video is a practical
    option. The cafe would need at least Media Player 7.1 or 8 most likely.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Nov 3, 2003
  5. susie

    KS Guest

    susie wrote:
    > Hey there
    > Can someone tell me what's the best format to send video in?
    > I just want to send a 2 min video in an email & no doubt the
    > recipient will be using 1 of those internet cafes (Canada/Europe).
    > Cheers

    If you have XP, try Movie Maker, which came free with it. It'll create the
    video in windows media format - wmv - naturally, but you have a range of
    compression options. At 320x200 at 25 frames per second, a 2 minute video
    can range in size from 1mb - 3mb, depending on compression.

    But if you set the encoder to be 320 x 200, at 15 fps, it'llprobably come in
    a lot smaller in file size. You probably don't need to have the encoder set
    to 25 frames per second, if it's just a video for the net. Who cares if it's
    a touch jumpy....

    Chances are, your friend overseas will be using an internet cafe that can
    play windows media.
    KS, Nov 3, 2003
  6. susie

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "KS" <> wrote in message
    > susie wrote:
    > > Hey there
    > > Can someone tell me what's the best format to send video in?
    > > I just want to send a 2 min video in an email & no doubt the
    > > recipient will be using 1 of those internet cafes (Canada/Europe).
    > > Cheers

    > If you have XP, try Movie Maker, which came free with it. It'll create the
    > video in windows media format - wmv - naturally, but you have a range of
    > compression options. At 320x200 at 25 frames per second, a 2 minute video
    > can range in size from 1mb - 3mb, depending on compression.
    >
    > But if you set the encoder to be 320 x 200, at 15 fps, it'llprobably come

    in
    > a lot smaller in file size. You probably don't need to have the encoder

    set
    > to 25 frames per second, if it's just a video for the net. Who cares if

    it's
    > a touch jumpy....
    >
    > Chances are, your friend overseas will be using an internet cafe that can
    > play windows media.

    Great suggestion - top stuff. ;-)
    If no sound is needed (and has to selected video only from memory) that will
    improve it a bit.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Nov 3, 2003
  7. susie

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <qLxpb.6967$>,
    "susie" <> wrote:

    > Hey there
    > Can someone tell me what's the best format to send video in?
    > I just want to send a 2 min video in an email & no doubt the recipient will
    > be using 1 of those internet cafes (Canada/Europe).

    What sort of video editing software do you have (if any)? What format is
    the video at the moment. I'd send it as an MPEG just because it will
    play on just about anything.

    --
    madknoxie
    madknoxie, Nov 3, 2003
  8. susie

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In article <qLxpb.6967$>,
    > "susie" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hey there
    > > Can someone tell me what's the best format to send video in?
    > > I just want to send a 2 min video in an email & no doubt the recipient will
    > > be using 1 of those internet cafes (Canada/Europe).

    > What sort of video editing software do you have (if any)? What format is
    > the video at the moment. I'd send it as an MPEG just because it will
    > play on just about anything.

    Won't play on default 98 install with Media Player 6.01 :)
    Mainlander, Nov 4, 2003
  9. susie

    Lebowski Guest

    "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > In article <qLxpb.6967$>,
    > > "susie" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hey there
    > > > Can someone tell me what's the best format to send video in?
    > > > I just want to send a 2 min video in an email & no doubt the recipient

    will
    > > > be using 1 of those internet cafes (Canada/Europe).

    > > What sort of video editing software do you have (if any)? What format is
    > > the video at the moment. I'd send it as an MPEG just because it will
    > > play on just about anything.

    > Won't play on default 98 install with Media Player 6.01 :)

    ...and an mpeg (depending on size of clip) could take forever to come in via
    email at an internet cafe. Best idea is to use Windows MovieMaker, make a
    wmv file, as being Windows it's pretty much guaranteed to play on any
    Windows-centric netcafe. So easy with Movie Maker too. Just hook up your
    mic, hook up your webcam, hit the record button til you're done, and then
    save it with your choice of filesize. Couldn't be any easier.

    I say the above for practicality reasons. In a perfect world, I'd avoid
    Movie Maker altogether and use DrDivx, but for practical reasons, the clip
    may not be very playable without the DivX codec installed. So best to just
    bite the bullet and make a wmv!
    Lebowski, Nov 4, 2003
  10. susie

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Lebowski wrote:
    > I say the above for practicality reasons. In a perfect world, I'd
    > avoid Movie Maker altogether and use DrDivx.. <snip>

    Hmm, $US39.95? Shame it isn't free, sounds like it might be good software.
    Wouldn't mind a copy.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 4, 2003
  11. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Lebowski wrote:
    >> I say the above for practicality reasons. In a perfect world, I'd
    >> avoid Movie Maker altogether and use DrDivx.. <snip>

    > Hmm, $US39.95? Shame it isn't free, sounds like it might be good
    > software. Wouldn't mind a copy.

    <Cough> Kazaa! <cough>

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Nov 4, 2003
  12. susie

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Lebowski wrote:
    >>> I say the above for practicality reasons. In a perfect world, I'd
    >>> avoid Movie Maker altogether and use DrDivx.. <snip>

    >> Hmm, $US39.95? Shame it isn't free, sounds like it might be good
    >> software. Wouldn't mind a copy.

    > <Cough> Kazaa! <cough>

    Hmmmm. Not that I would do that of course. :)

    Funny, I never think of Kazaa for anything other than music.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 4, 2003
  13. susie

    Lebowski Guest

    "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his.desk.com> wrote in message
    > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Hmm, $US39.95? Shame it isn't free, sounds like it might be good
    > >> software. Wouldn't mind a copy.

    > > <Cough> Kazaa! <cough>

    > Hmmmm. Not that I would do that of course. :)
    >
    > Funny, I never think of Kazaa for anything other than music.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    You don't need to necessarily turn to Kazaa. Dr Divx is on there, but the
    latest version is not. Download the trial version from Divx.com..you still
    get full-functionality. It can do conversions as well as Live Capture, and
    the coolest thing about DrDivx is you state your desired filesize (e.g.
    700mb, and the program does the rest - with very clear results, better than
    Vidomi and it's much-respected cousin Gordian Knot / Nandub / Virtual Dub
    etc)..
    Lebowski, Nov 6, 2003
  14. susie

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Lebowski" <> wrote in message

    > "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his.desk.com> wrote in message
    > > Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

    > > > <Cough> Kazaa! <cough>

    > > Hmmmm. Not that I would do that of course. :)
    > >
    > > Funny, I never think of Kazaa for anything other than music.
    > > --
    > > ~misfit~
    > >

    > You don't need to necessarily turn to Kazaa. Dr Divx is on there, but the
    > latest version is not. Download the trial version from Divx.com..you still
    > get full-functionality. It can do conversions as well as Live Capture, and
    > the coolest thing about DrDivx is you state your desired filesize (e.g.
    > 700mb, and the program does the rest - with very clear results, better

    than
    > Vidomi and it's much-respected cousin Gordian Knot / Nandub / Virtual Dub
    > etc)..

    Even though I use Divx, it's completely useless for the needs of the
    original poster who wants to email a video for someone to collect from an
    Internet cafe.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Nov 6, 2003
  15. susie

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Lebowski wrote:
    > You don't need to necessarily turn to Kazaa. Dr Divx is on there, but
    > the latest version is not. Download the trial version from
    > Divx.com..you still get full-functionality. It can do conversions as
    > well as Live Capture, and the coolest thing about DrDivx is you state
    > your desired filesize (e.g. 700mb, and the program does the rest -
    > with very clear results, better than Vidomi and it's much-respected
    > cousin Gordian Knot / Nandub / Virtual Dub etc)..

    But it is time-limited?
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 6, 2003
  16. susie

    > Lebowski wrote:
    > > You don't need to necessarily turn to Kazaa. Dr Divx is on there, but
    > > the latest version is not. Download the trial version from
    > > Divx.com..you still get full-functionality. It can do conversions as
    > > well as Live Capture, and the coolest thing about DrDivx is you state
    > > your desired filesize (e.g. 700mb, and the program does the rest -
    > > with very clear results, better than Vidomi and it's much-respected
    > > cousin Gordian Knot / Nandub / Virtual Dub etc)..

    > But it is time-limited?
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Unfortunately, yes :-/
    Lebowski, Nov 6, 2003
  17. susie

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Lebowski wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his.desk.com> wrote in message
    >> Lebowski wrote:
    >>> You don't need to necessarily turn to Kazaa. Dr Divx is on there,
    >>> but the latest version is not. Download the trial version from
    >>> Divx.com..you still get full-functionality. It can do conversions as
    >>> well as Live Capture, and the coolest thing about DrDivx is you
    >>> state your desired filesize (e.g. 700mb, and the program does the
    >>> rest - with very clear results, better than Vidomi and it's
    >>> much-respected cousin Gordian Knot / Nandub / Virtual Dub etc)..

    >> But it is time-limited?
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > Unfortunately, yes :-/

    Bugger! I hate that. Just when I suss something like that out it runs out.
    Oh well.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Nov 6, 2003