    Today's forecast is: moderate to heavy patches of Frogs and a sunny outlook,
    but with a belt of inflatable pink Lizards moving in from the west for the
    weekend, and a trip to the psychiatrist for better drugs sometime Tuesday.

    Mara, Jun 10, 2009

  2. Mara

    Juan Kerr Guest

    http://www.discreetfx.com/openvt/downloads.php

    Juan Kerr, Jun 10, 2009

  3. Mara

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mara wrote:
    > My church uses an ancient Video Toaster connected to two cameras to
    > broadcast the service over our local cable TV as well as record it for
    > later playback. Alas, the Toaster has stopped functioning, refusing to
    > use the second camera.
    >
    > Frankly I think they need a much new and better way to do this. I have
    > a couple of spare Linux boxes and I *think* I can get Toaster-like
    > software for them for nothing. What I would like to know is what else
    > I'd need, particularly in the way of hardware. At the moment,
    > everything hooks up to coax connectors on the Toaster card. I don't
    > know if this can be changed - I just recently got involved in this and
    > don't know the specifics. Any ideas to toss around? I'd like to build
    > them a faster, reliable way to do this without it costing them too
    > much.
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas. :)

    Instead of your linux boxen, I would be tempted to go with the Video
    Toaster's original mfr NewTek's current TriCaster product
    http://www.newtek.com/tricaster/

    But, the problem with that neat little solution is that the basic one
    costs about $5K. They have a lower one, the duo which costs a grand less
    that might do. Here's their product comparison
    http://www.newtek.com/tricaster/compare.php

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 10, 2009
  4. Mara

    Fergal Guest

    "Mara" <> wrote in message

    > My church uses an ancient Video Toaster connected to two cameras to
    > broadcast
    > the service over our local cable TV as well as record it for later
    > playback.
    > Alas, the Toaster has stopped functioning, refusing to use the second
    > camera.
    >
    > Frankly I think they need a much new and better way to do this. I have a
    > couple
    > of spare Linux boxes and I *think* I can get Toaster-like software for
    > them for
    > nothing. What I would like to know is what else I'd need, particularly in
    > the
    > way of hardware. At the moment, everything hooks up to coax connectors on
    > the
    > Toaster card. I don't know if this can be changed - I just recently got
    > involved
    > in this and don't know the specifics. Any ideas to toss around? I'd like
    > build them a faster, reliable way to do this without it costing them too
    > much.
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas. :)

    What the **** are you talking about, Numbnuts?
    Try using English instead of your home made "merkin"!

    Fergal, Jun 10, 2009
  5. Mara

    Mike Easter Guest

    Juan Kerr wrote:

    > http://www.discreetfx.com/openvt/downloads.php

    For some reason, with 4 different browsers, that works better for me (on
    each/all of them) if I go to

    http://www.discreetfx.com/openvt/

    and then click the 'downloads' link near the top, and then access the
    flash plugin that appears that way.

    The browser addressline while the plugin is running then reads as you
    have pasted.

    Browsers used: Moz FF3.0.10 on Ub9.04, Chrome 2.0.172.31 on XP, IE
    7.0.5730.13 on XP, and Opera 9.64 on W98se (heh) which Opera handled the
    'direct' downloads link the best.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 10, 2009
  6. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:47:48 -0700, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    >> My church uses an ancient Video Toaster connected to two cameras to
    >> broadcast the service over our local cable TV as well as record it for
    >> later playback. Alas, the Toaster has stopped functioning, refusing to
    >> use the second camera.
    >>
    >> Frankly I think they need a much new and better way to do this. I have
    >> a couple of spare Linux boxes and I *think* I can get Toaster-like
    >> software for them for nothing. What I would like to know is what else
    >> I'd need, particularly in the way of hardware. At the moment,
    >> everything hooks up to coax connectors on the Toaster card. I don't
    >> know if this can be changed - I just recently got involved in this and
    >> don't know the specifics. Any ideas to toss around? I'd like to build
    >> them a faster, reliable way to do this without it costing them too
    >> much.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any ideas. :)

    >Instead of your linux boxen, I would be tempted to go with the Video
    >Toaster's original mfr NewTek's current TriCaster product
    >http://www.newtek.com/tricaster/
    >
    >But, the problem with that neat little solution is that the basic one
    >costs about $5K. They have a lower one, the duo which costs a grand less
    >that might do. Here's their product comparison
    >http://www.newtek.com/tricaster/compare.php

    Thanks, Mike, but that's still too much money. They don't really have any to
    spend, and I'm on unemployment right now so I can't afford to help them much.
    That's why I'd like to try to build something out of stuff I already have.
    Otherwise I'd just buy them one. I did in fact buy another Toaster from ebay for
    $28, but it didn't fit in the case, so I took the parts from both cards and
    built a new one to see if I could make it work that way. No joy. I don't think
    it's the Toaster card but the mainboard itself that's fried, judging from the
    looks of things, in which case they need to junk it anyway.

    Mara, Jun 10, 2009
  7. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 18:23:30 +0100, "Juan Kerr" <> wrote:

    >"Mara" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> My church uses an ancient Video Toaster connected to two cameras to
    >> broadcast
    >> the service over our local cable TV as well as record it for later
    >> playback.
    >> Alas, the Toaster has stopped functioning, refusing to use the second
    >> camera.
    >>
    >> Frankly I think they need a much new and better way to do this. I have a
    >> couple
    >> of spare Linux boxes and I *think* I can get Toaster-like software for
    >> them for
    >> nothing. What I would like to know is what else I'd need, particularly in
    >> the
    >> way of hardware. At the moment, everything hooks up to coax connectors on
    >> the
    >> Toaster card. I don't know if this can be changed - I just recently got
    >> involved
    >> in this and don't know the specifics. Any ideas to toss around? I'd like
    >> build them a faster, reliable way to do this without it costing them too
    >> much.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any ideas. :)
    >>

    >http://www.discreetfx.com/openvt/downloads.php

    Yep, I knew about that and have the files in case I need them, but personally I
    think they need a different setup. Thanks, though. :)

    Mara, Jun 10, 2009
  8. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:52:21 GMT, "Fergal" <> wrote:

    <snipped really ignorant and stupid shit>

    Ah. Virgin Media. that explains it.

    Mara, Jun 10, 2009
  9. Mara

    Fergal Guest

    "Mara" <> wrote in message

    > On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:52:21 GMT, "Fergal" <> wrote:
    >
    > <snipped really ignorant and stupid shit>
    >
    > Ah. Virgin Media. that explains it.
    >
    > --

    Works for me bitch!

    Fergal, Jun 10, 2009
  10. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 19:54:27 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Fergal wrote:
    >> "Mara" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:52:21 GMT, "Fergal" <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> <snipped really ignorant and stupid shit>
    >>>
    >>> Ah. Virgin Media. that explains it.
    >>>
    >>> --

    >> Works for me bitch!

    >No, no it doesn't. You've cast your lot with the lame-ass AOL of England
    >and it goes a long way to explain your behavior (behaviour).

    If you ever wanted to know why most of the "old guard" is gone and won't come
    back, crap like the above is why. I decided after that to ask in a linux group,
    which I probably should have done in the first place. What a waste of time this
    was.

    Mara, Jun 11, 2009
  11. Mara

    Fergal Guest

    "Mara" <> wrote in message

    > On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 19:54:27 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >
    >>Fergal wrote:
    >>> "Mara" <> wrote in message

    >>> Works for me bitch!

    >>No, no it doesn't. You've cast your lot with the lame-ass AOL of England
    >>and it goes a long way to explain your behavior (behaviour).

    > If you ever wanted to know why most of the "old guard" is gone and won't
    > come
    > back, crap like the above is why. I decided after that to ask in a linux
    > group,
    > which I probably should have done in the first place. What a waste of time
    > this
    > was.

    You still here?
    Watch the door doesn't hit you in the arse as you leave!

    Fergal, Jun 11, 2009
  12. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 23:15:57 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    >
    >> If you ever wanted to know why most of the "old guard" is gone and won't come
    >> back, crap like the above is why. I decided after that to ask in a linux group,
    >> which I probably should have done in the first place. What a waste of time this
    >> was.

    >I shouldn't take it personally, but it kind of hurts to see this group
    >in such decline. Populated by right wing nuts, the criminally insane,
    >trolls and wannabe's, it's turned into a real sewer. Not much incentive
    >to return.

    It wasn't you I was talking about, of course. And I agree, it does kind of hurt,
    for those who know how it used to be. Personally, I miss the *spontaneous* humor
    - there used to be some really funny posters in 24. Nowadays though, there are
    lots more interesting things to do. Even Twitter is better than this and if I
    get bored I can just go work on my website. Believe me, it needs it. And there's
    always Echolink. :)

    Mara, Jun 11, 2009
  13. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 08:25:08 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >gangle wrote:
    >
    >> Amen.

    >I want to kiss your mother's toes.

    Oh, get a room. With a refrigerator.

    Mara, Jun 11, 2009
  14. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:24:33 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:

    >>> I want to kiss your mother's toes.

    >> Oh, get a room. With a refrigerator.

    >Be quiet for a second, gangle and I are negotiating.

    For a glurd I wouldn't go any higher than $6.42 per toe.

    --
    The little birds sang sweet amid the scene of death and destruction.
    -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, 2nd R.I., May 4, 1864

    Mara, Jun 11, 2009
  15. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:40:14 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:

    >>> Be quiet for a second, gangle and I are negotiating.

    >> For a glurd I wouldn't go any higher than $6.42 per toe.

    >Ok, I accept your offer. I'll take the two little toes and the ring toe
    >on your left foot. That should be about $12.

    Sorry, I don't wear rings on my toes, which renders your offer null and void
    where prohibited. Besides, I'm not a glurd, you big hairy-legged doofus.

    --
    The little birds sang sweet amid the scene of death and destruction.
    -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, 2nd R.I., May 4, 1864

    Mara, Jun 11, 2009
  16. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 12:02:21 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry, I don't wear rings on my toes, which renders your offer null and void
    >> where prohibited. Besides, I'm not a glurd, you big hairy-legged doofus.

    >I was just waxed.

    With duct tape.

    --
    The little birds sang sweet amid the scene of death and destruction.
    -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, 2nd R.I., May 4, 1864

    Mara, Jun 11, 2009
  17. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 13:53:43 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    >
    >> With duct tape.

    >My inner thighs are like ...

    a field full of haystacks.

    >(please respond for details)

    Say, I want to talk to you some more about your video setup. If you'll e-mail me
    at this nic at outblaze dot net, I'll send you an address I actually use and we
    can talk, if you're willing.

    --
    The little birds sang sweet amid the scene of death and destruction.
    -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, 2nd R.I., May 4, 1864

    Mara, Jun 11, 2009
  18. Mara

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 23:52:01 -0700, "gangle" <> wrote:

    >Amen.

    I miss Trout!

    Shel-hed, Jun 12, 2009
  19. Mara

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 20:43:39 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:

    >>> My inner thighs are like ...

    >> a field full of haystacks.
    >>
    >>> (please respond for details)

    >> Say, I want to talk to you some more about your video setup. If you'll e-mail me
    >> at this nic at outblaze dot net, I'll send you an address I actually use and we
    >> can talk, if you're willing.

    >Didja get my communiqué?

    Yep.

    --
    The little birds sang sweet amid the scene of death and destruction.
    -- Elisha Hunt Rhodes, 2nd R.I., May 4, 1864

    Mara, Jun 12, 2009
  20. Mara

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 03:04:50 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Wait, isn't you that's a cannibal?

    No, but I like beef. Pickled wieners sound interesting too.

    Shel-hed, Jun 12, 2009