Video to TV?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Oldus Fartus, Jan 29, 2004.

  1. Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    DH wrote:
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > I am confused. I am looking at setting up a computer with feeds to my TV
    > for video. Many of the tv-out cards on the market are equipped with a 15
    > pin video connection and a DVI connection and some with s-video. My tv
    > and/or vcr uses either RCA inputs, or a coaxial input. Which video card
    > connection is used for tv-out and what kind of adapter cable is commonly
    > used.
    >
    > --
    > Dave H.

    Generally a video card with TV out will have a standard VGA connector,
    plus an RCA (yellow) for video and often a SVideo socket too. Audio is
    taken from the sound card. You would run a cable from the yellow
    socket on the card to the video in socket on the TV, and another from
    the sound card to the audio in on the TV, or, as many people do, just
    use the computer speakers for audio.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    DH, Jan 31, 2004

  3. Oldus Fartus

    Thor Guest

    "DH" <(axe the x's)> wrote in message
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > I am confused. I am looking at setting up a computer with feeds to my TV
    > for video. Many of the tv-out cards on the market are equipped with a 15
    > pin video connection and a DVI connection and some with s-video. My tv
    > and/or vcr uses either RCA inputs, or a coaxial input. Which video card
    > connection is used for tv-out and what kind of adapter cable is commonly
    > used.

    S-Video to RCA convertor. Get it at your local electronics supply store.

    Thor, Jan 31, 2004
  4. Oldus Fartus

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "DH" <(axe the x's)> wrote in news:bvg14b$rn9hd$1@ID-
    98730.news.uni-berlin.de:

    > I am confused. I am looking at setting up a computer with feeds to my TV
    > for video. Many of the tv-out cards on the market are equipped with a 15
    > pin video connection and a DVI connection and some with s-video. My tv
    > and/or vcr uses either RCA inputs, or a coaxial input. Which video card
    > connection is used for tv-out and what kind of adapter cable is commonly
    > used.

    Get yourself an S-Video to RCA cable. I got one for about $6

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 31, 2004
  5. Oldus Fartus

    DH Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > "DH" <(axe the x's)> wrote in news:bvg14b$rn9hd$1@ID-
    > 98730.news.uni-berlin.de:
    >
    > > I am confused. I am looking at setting up a computer with feeds to my

    TV
    > > for video. Many of the tv-out cards on the market are equipped with a

    15
    > > pin video connection and a DVI connection and some with s-video. My tv
    > > and/or vcr uses either RCA inputs, or a coaxial input. Which video card
    > > connection is used for tv-out and what kind of adapter cable is commonly
    > > used.

    > Get yourself an S-Video to RCA cable. I got one for about $6
    >
    > --
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > website: under construction
    > email/IM for rates/services

    Thanks all for your responses.

    One followup question. Because this is going to be used as a media
    entertainment computer, is there any advantage to a larger amount of ram?
    And is there a video chipset that performs this task well, i.e. geforce,
    radeon..... or should I save my money?

    Again thanks,

    Dave H.

    DH, Feb 1, 2004
  6. Oldus Fartus

    > > 98730.news.uni-berlin.de:
    > >
    > > > I am confused. I am looking at setting up a computer with feeds to my

    > TV
    > > > for video. Many of the tv-out cards on the market are equipped with a

    > 15
    > > > pin video connection and a DVI connection and some with s-video. My

    tv
    > > > and/or vcr uses either RCA inputs, or a coaxial input. Which video

    card
    > > > connection is used for tv-out and what kind of adapter cable is

    commonly
    > > > used.

    > > Get yourself an S-Video to RCA cable. I got one for about $6
    > >
    > > --
    > > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > > website: under construction
    > > Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
    > > email/IM for rates/services

    > Thanks all for your responses.
    >
    > One followup question. Because this is going to be used as a media
    > entertainment computer, is there any advantage to a larger amount of ram?

    Well now that would depend on how much RAM you already have. A bit of
    information you neglected to provide.

    > And is there a video chipset that performs this task well, i.e. geforce,
    > radeon..... or should I save my money?

    I believe both the Geforce and Radeon-based cards have some DVD decoding
    hardware support that helps reduce the CPU load somewhat. It's not like full
    hardware decoding, but does help. Realistically, if you have a CPU that is
    400Mhz or higher than you should easily handle full software decoding. Also
    make sure your DVD drive is running in DMA mode for optimal data transfers
    with little CPU utilization. This can be critical in many situations, for
    smooth playback.

    Thor, Feb 1, 2004