    at the same time via s-video. Also hoping to be able to play games
    from the computer
    on the tv. Any help on getting started would be appreciated.
    monkeywintest, Dec 15, 2010

  2. monkeywintest

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 21:09:44 -0800 (PST), monkeywintest wrote:

    > Hello, I know little on the subject. I am trying to decide on options
    > to be able watch movies from my computer to a edtv while I am working
    > at the same time via s-video. Also hoping to be able to play games
    > from the computer
    > on the tv. Any help on getting started would be appreciated.

    If the computer and the tv have HDMI plugs, just add a cable between the
    two.
    richard, Dec 15, 2010

  3. monkeywintest

    MyNews Guest

    http://www.hauppauge.com/

    I have it WinTv

    MyNews, Dec 15, 2010
  4. monkeywintest

    Barry Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hello, I know little on the subject. I am trying to decide on options
    >to be able watch movies from my computer to a edtv while I am working
    >at the same time via s-video. Also hoping to be able to play games
    >from the computer
    >on the tv. Any help on getting started would be appreciated.

    You just need a suitable video card and a suitable TV.
    I have my computer connected to my TV by HDMI cable.
    Barry, Dec 15, 2010
  5. monkeywintest

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:25:49 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:52:58 -0700, richard <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 21:09:44 -0800 (PST), monkeywintest wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello, I know little on the subject. I am trying to decide on options
    >>> to be able watch movies from my computer to a edtv while I am working
    >>> at the same time via s-video. Also hoping to be able to play games
    >>> from the computer
    >>> on the tv. Any help on getting started would be appreciated.

    >>If the computer and the tv have HDMI plugs, just add a cable between the
    >>two.

    > OP: "Via S-Video".
    > richard: "Use HDMI."

    You failed to understand he wants to do two things at once.
    The s-video is already occupied. Perhaps he's using s-video to another
    monitor.
    richard, Dec 15, 2010
  6. richard wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 21:09:44 -0800 (PST), monkeywintest wrote:
    >
    > > Hello, I know little on the subject. I am trying to decide on options
    > > to be able watch movies from my computer to a edtv while I am working
    > > at the same time via s-video. Also hoping to be able to play games
    > > from the computer
    > > on the tv. Any help on getting started would be appreciated.

    > If the computer and the tv have HDMI plugs, just add a cable between the
    > two.

    Got the computer an Emachine last December for a great price from Best
    Buy. It now goes for $380 but got it for $260 so that was nice, but no
    it doesn't have HDMI plugs.
    monkeywintest, Dec 15, 2010
  7. monkeywintest

    PeeCee Guest

    On 15/12/2010 6:09 p.m., monkeywintest wrote:
    > Hello, I know little on the subject. I am trying to decide on options
    > to be able watch movies from my computer to a edtv while I am working
    > at the same time via s-video. Also hoping to be able to play games
    > from the computer
    > on the tv. Any help on getting started would be appreciated.

    The options you have depend 'very' much on what connections and
    facilities you have on your PC and TV.
    Without knowledge of 'what' those are only general advice can be given.

    Your implication is that:
    1 while working on your PC using it's normal monitor for your 'work'
    2 you want to stream a movie that's playing on your PC to the Svideo
    input of your TV.

    To achieve this:
    3 Your PC must have an SVideo output, your TV an SVideo input.
    4 your PC must be able to output both VGA (monitor) and Svideo(TV) at
    the same time.

    If 1 is not true, then you will have to restate you post, preferably
    with suffient detail to understand what you want to achieve with/on what.

    If 1 is 'true' then
    For 2 to be true you must satisfy 3 and 4.

    If 3 is not true then you will have to either add a plug in card with an
    Svideo output to your PC, and/or buy an Svideo converter to attach to
    the Composite or Component Video in terminals of your TV.

    If 3 is true then for 4 to be true you will have to consult your PC
    documentation on 'how' to set both outputs going at the same time.
    This may not be possible.

    Discuss:

    a. Svideo is not an ideal way to send video content to your TV.
    VGA/DVI/HDMI produces much better resolution but to use these options
    your PC and TV must 'both' support the chosen option.

    b. You will also have to add sound leads to the TV if you wish the TV
    speakers to work, though it is not unreasonable to listen to the PC's
    speakers if the TV's orientation vs the PC is suitable.
    (not with HDMI though if the PC has the appropriate sound connection to
    it's HDMI output)

    c. A lot of Video cards with Svideo out will only drive either/or not
    both. This is particularly true of 'budget' PC's. eMachines are 'budget'
    PC's.

    d. You may get what you want by adding another Video card, though what
    you get will depend entirely on 'which' card you get. Do research what
    any given card will do.

    e. Most realistic configurations to achieve what you apparently want
    consist of a video card with two outputs (either VGA/DVI/HDMI) with one
    output going to your monitor and the other to a VGA/DVI/HDMI input on
    your TV. The TV effectively becomes a second monitor attached to your
    PC. Again do your research.

    f. There is a maximum cable distance you can send Svideo/VGA/DVI/HDMI
    over. Do some Goggling to find out.

    (e. works because you can set the second output as an 'extended' desktop
    on your PC and when you've opened your movie on Monitor #1 you drag your
    movie to the extended portion of your desktop showing on Monitor #2 ie
    your TV.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Dec 15, 2010
  8. monkeywintest

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 15/12/2010 06:56, monkeywintest wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >> On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 21:09:44 -0800 (PST), monkeywintest wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello, I know little on the subject. I am trying to decide on options
    >>> to be able watch movies from my computer to a edtv while I am working
    >>> at the same time via s-video. Also hoping to be able to play games
    >>> from the computer
    >>> on the tv. Any help on getting started would be appreciated.

    >> If the computer and the tv have HDMI plugs, just add a cable between the
    >> two.

    > Got the computer an Emachine last December for a great price from Best
    > Buy. It now goes for $380 but got it for $260 so that was nice, but no
    > it doesn't have HDMI plugs.

    Ignore richard, he's the groups resident idiot. If your question had
    been "How do I set out my table for dinner using my large canteen of
    cutlery" his answer would have been, "Use chopsticks"

    The answer from peecee is the one you want.
    Desk Rabbit, Dec 15, 2010
  9. PeeCee wrote:
> [...]

    > PC's.
    >
    > d. You may get what you want by adding another Video card, though what
    > you get will depend entirely on 'which' card you get. Do research what
    > any given card will do.
    >
    > e. Most realistic configurations to achieve what you apparently want
    > consist of a video card with two outputs (either VGA/DVI/HDMI) with one
    > output going to your monitor and the other to a VGA/DVI/HDMI input on
    > your TV. The TV effectively becomes a second monitor attached to your
    > PC. Again do your research.
    >
    > f. There is a maximum cable distance you can send Svideo/VGA/DVI/HDMI
    > over. Do some Goggling to find out.
    >
    > (e. works because you can set the second output as an 'extended' desktop
    > on your PC and when you've opened your movie on Monitor #1 you drag your
    > movie to the extended portion of your desktop showing on Monitor #2 ie

    Thanks for your, lengthy thoughtful reply, I have no card for the PC,
    but this is what the back of the TV connections are.

    http://boards.420chan.org/tech/src/1292485011657.jpg

    I assume the S-VIDEO connection is the most viable solution.
    monkeywintest, Dec 16, 2010