    to play..??)

    Thanks!

    Martin

    M@gic, May 9, 2004

  2. M@gic wrote:
    > Can anybody recommend a good programme/procedure to transfer analogue
    > video tapes (from video player) to DVD??
    > Preferably for free!!!!
    > I am using Windows XP and my graphics card has the in/out connections
    > that I need apparently to connect the recorder up to the comp and
    > capture it on the hard disc BUT I need some way of getting that to
    > the DVD (maybe encoding it to play..??)

    Depends on your setup, but check out the tools here:

    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Shenan Stanley, May 9, 2004

  3. M@gic

    Brad Griffis Guest

    "M@gic" <> wrote in message
    > Can anybody recommend a good programme/procedure to transfer analogue

    video
    > tapes (from video player) to DVD??
    > Preferably for free!!!!
    > I am using Windows XP and my graphics card has the in/out connections that

    > need apparently to connect the recorder up to the comp and capture it on

    the
    > hard disc BUT I need some way of getting that to the DVD (maybe encoding

    it
    > to play..??)
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Martin

    First, make sure your graphics card can capture video to mpeg-2. Typically
    the real-time compression done in the graphics card is not the best so
    here's what I recommend. Set up the capture to a much higher bitrate than
    normal (e.g. 12 Mbps). Capture your VHS tape and this will create a huge
    mpeg-2 file on your hard drive. Since you captured at such a high bitrate
    the quality will be excellent but the file size will be huge. Next you can
    use TMPGEnc Plus which is a high quality mpeg encoder to do a 2-pass
    variable bit rate encode to get it down to an average bitrate of around 6
    Mbps. (Depending on how long the video is you may need to do more
    compression or perhaps split the file in half which can also be done with
    TMPGEnc Plus.) To burn it to a DVD you'll of course need a DVD burner.
    Also you'll need some kind of authoring software to turn the mpeg-2 file
    into the correct VOB structure used in DVDs. An easy one to use is the
    TMPGEnc DVD Author software.

    Both of those TMPGEnc programs cost money, but I believe you can get a
    bundled package for a reasonable amount (under $100).

    Brad

    Brad Griffis, May 9, 2004
  4. M@gic

    Me Guest

    "Brad Griffis" <> wrote in message
    > "M@gic" <> wrote in message
    > > Can anybody recommend a good programme/procedure to transfer analogue

    > video
    > > tapes (from video player) to DVD??
    > > Preferably for free!!!!
    > > I am using Windows XP and my graphics card has the in/out connections

    that
    > > need apparently to connect the recorder up to the comp and capture it on

    > the
    > > hard disc BUT I need some way of getting that to the DVD (maybe encoding

    > it
    > > to play..??)
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > Martin

    > First, make sure your graphics card can capture video to mpeg-2.

    Typically
    > the real-time compression done in the graphics card is not the best so
    > here's what I recommend. Set up the capture to a much higher bitrate than
    > normal (e.g. 12 Mbps). Capture your VHS tape and this will create a huge
    > mpeg-2 file on your hard drive. Since you captured at such a high bitrate
    > the quality will be excellent but the file size will be huge. Next you

    can
    > use TMPGEnc Plus which is a high quality mpeg encoder to do a 2-pass
    > variable bit rate encode to get it down to an average bitrate of around 6
    > Mbps. (Depending on how long the video is you may need to do more
    > compression or perhaps split the file in half which can also be done with
    > TMPGEnc Plus.) To burn it to a DVD you'll of course need a DVD burner.
    > Also you'll need some kind of authoring software to turn the mpeg-2 file
    > into the correct VOB structure used in DVDs. An easy one to use is the
    > TMPGEnc DVD Author software.

    I thoroughly recommend Nero Burning from Ahead Software.

    > Both of those TMPGEnc programs cost money, but I believe you can get a
    > bundled package for a reasonable amount (under $100).

    Download Nero free from any peer-to peer file sharing programs. Make sure
    you d/l the
    DVD Mpeg plugin too.

    Kev.

    Me, May 9, 2004
  5. M@gic

    Gary Guest

    > First, make sure your graphics card can capture video to mpeg-2.

    If not, encode to AVI with lossless CODEC "Huffy" (files will be huge of
    course), then use TMPG to convert to MPEG-2. This also has the advantage of
    being able to use the latter's filters to reduce noise which you'll have on
    the source material.

    I recommend DVD-Lab Pro for DVD authoring.

    For more advice, try posting on rec.video.desktop

    Regards
    Gary

    Gary, May 11, 2004