    wildlife and other outdoor things? How/where could
    someone start to look into trying to do it?

    , Oct 11, 2004

  2. FAQmeister Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:
    > How hard is it to get some kind of job vidoe taping
    > wildlife and other outdoor things?

    Next to impossible.

    > How/where could
    > someone start to look into trying to do it?

    You can start by buying your own camera and building up a portfolio.
    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:

    FAQmeister, Oct 11, 2004

  3. Steve Guidry Guest

    Most guys I know in that genre work for themselves, and unless you're their
    hunting buddy, you haven't got a prayer of getting your foot in the door.

    If you're serious, then get some gear and roll your own.

    Steve

    Steve Guidry, Oct 11, 2004
  4. kay & wand Guest

    don't give up your day job!!!!!!

    without a high degree of professional knowledge about both flora / fauna and
    a range of video / film camera equipment, and or the willingness to crash
    course all, you don't stand a chance in hell. and if you do know it all,
    then you'd know not to waste your time asking on a newsgroup....

    sorry,

    leslie

    kay & wand, Oct 12, 2004
  5. Derry Argue Guest

    "Steve Guidry" <> wrote in

    > Most guys I know in that genre work for themselves, and
    > unless you're their hunting buddy, you haven't got a prayer
    > of getting your foot in the door.
    >
    > If you're serious, then get some gear and roll your own.
    >
    > Steve
    >

    > <> wrote in message
    >> How hard is it to get some kind of job vidoe taping
    >> wildlife and other outdoor things? How/where could
    >> someone start to look into trying to do it?

    Good advice. I know one man who has a day time job selling
    washing machines. His "hobby" (and a very lucrative one too!) is
    filming wild life. He makes money at it because he's good but I
    doubt the effort really makes it such an excellent career or he
    would be doing it full time.

    There are agencies that are eager to handle good footage. But
    you need pro gear and the ability to acquire first class
    material, hopefully showing unique and unusual animal behaviour.

    We have a local film maker whose stuff I have occasionally seen
    on TV. He uses film exclusively, often 35mm. A good friend had a
    day time business in carpet retail but, again, his lucrative
    side-line was wild life audio recording.

    It can be done (oh, how I hate the newsgroups prophets of doom
    who declare everything impossible!), but it is hard and you will
    probably have to do it alone -- unless you can make friends
    amongst the lonely elite who are mostly freelancers.

    Do a search on photo/film libraries/agencies, then phone around
    and find out what they need and how much they will pay.Then cost
    out your time, equipment rental, etc. and see if you wouldn't be
    better off selling carpets or washing machines.

    Derry

    Derry Argue, Oct 13, 2004
  6. >How hard is it to get some kind of job vidoe taping
    >wildlife and other outdoor things? How/where could
    >someone start to look into trying to do it?

    It's hard to get a job videotaping anything nowdays. A lot of
    corporations have ditched their video departments, resulting in a lot of
    people chasing few jobs. Some companies demand a 4 year communications
    degree for any video job simply because they can.

    --
    Monte Castleman, <<Spamfilter in Use>>
    Bloomington, MN <<to email, remove the "q" from address>>

    Monte Castleman, Oct 13, 2004
  7. a-e-i-o-u- Guest

    "kay & wand" <> wrote in message
    > don't give up your day job!!!!!!
    >
    > without a high degree of professional knowledge about both flora / fauna
    > and a range of video / film camera equipment, and or the willingness to
    > crash course all, you don't stand a chance in hell. and if you do know it
    > all, then you'd know not to waste your time asking on a newsgroup....

    Only an asshole would write something like this. Sorry..

    And it could NOT be further from the truth.

    If you are a good shooter and are healthy enough to work with a naturalist,
    environmentalist, etc.. you can get work doing just that. I have hours and
    hours of great footage of nature and animals and I have enmjoyed every
    minute of it. Don;t let some arrogant newsgrou poster put you off.

    a-e-i-o-u-, Oct 14, 2004
  8. Mike Kujbida Guest

    a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
    > "kay & wand" <> wrote in message
    >> don't give up your day job!!!!!!
    >>
    >> without a high degree of professional knowledge about both flora /
    >> fauna and a range of video / film camera equipment, and or the
    >> willingness to crash course all, you don't stand a chance in hell.
    >> and if you do know it all, then you'd know not to waste your time
    >> asking on a newsgroup....

    > Only an asshole would write something like this. Sorry..

    Umm, nappy. I'd hardly call Leslie an asshole. You might want to check out
    his resume at http://users.bigpond.com/kaywand/wand/resume.htm
    We can all see what he's done with his life. What about you?

    Mike

    Mike Kujbida, Oct 15, 2004
  9. a-e-i-o-u- Guest

    "Mike Kujbida" <> wrote in message

    > a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
    >> "kay & wand" <> wrote in message
    >>> don't give up your day job!!!!!!
    >>>
    >>> without a high degree of professional knowledge about both flora /
    >>> fauna and a range of video / film camera equipment, and or the
    >>> willingness to crash course all, you don't stand a chance in hell.
    >>> and if you do know it all, then you'd know not to waste your time
    >>> asking on a newsgroup....

    >> Only an asshole would write something like this. Sorry..

    > Umm, nappy. I'd hardly call Leslie an asshole. You might want to check
    > out
    > his resume at http://users.bigpond.com/kaywand/wand/resume.htm
    > We can all see what he's done with his life. What about you?
    >
    > Mike

    Um Mike..
    I see absolutely nothing remarkable about his resume at all. I am not dumb
    enough to put mine on the internet, nor have I ever needed to, so comparing
    the two would be pointless and is irrelevant to anyone but you I suppose,
    If he really is such an experienced pro he ought to know better than to tell
    anyone they don't have a chance in hell since he could be working for them
    in short order.
    Um ok?

    a-e-i-o-u-, Oct 16, 2004
  10. Says "bush walking" is that like muff diving?

    John339077353, Oct 16, 2004
  11. Mike Kujbida Guest

    a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
    > "Mike Kujbida" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
    >>> "kay & wand" <> wrote in message

    >>> Only an asshole would write something like this. Sorry..

    >> Umm, nappy. I'd hardly call Leslie an asshole. You might want to
    >> check out
    >> his resume at http://users.bigpond.com/kaywand/wand/resume.htm
    >> We can all see what he's done with his life. What about you?
    >>
    >> Mike

    > Um Mike..
    > I see absolutely nothing remarkable about his resume at all. I am not
    > dumb enough to put mine on the internet, nor have I ever needed to,
    > so comparing the two would be pointless and is irrelevant to anyone
    > but you I suppose, If he really is such an experienced pro he ought
    > to know better than to tell anyone they don't have a chance in hell
    > since he could be working for them in short order.
    > Um ok?

    Could it be that he's being realistic? How many people do you personally
    know making a successful living doing this. BTW, I define "a successful
    living" as earning enough to pay the monthly bills and have some left over
    at the end.

    Mike

    Mike Kujbida, Oct 16, 2004
  12. a-e-i-o-u- Guest

    > a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
    >> "Mike Kujbida" <> wrote in message

    >>> Umm, nappy. I'd hardly call Leslie an asshole. You might want to
    >>> check out
    >>> his resume at http://users.bigpond.com/kaywand/wand/resume.htm
    >>> We can all see what he's done with his life. What about you?
    >>>
    >>> Mike

    >> Um Mike..
    >> I see absolutely nothing remarkable about his resume at all. I am not
    >> dumb enough to put mine on the internet, nor have I ever needed to,
    >> so comparing the two would be pointless and is irrelevant to anyone
    >> but you I suppose, If he really is such an experienced pro he ought
    >> to know better than to tell anyone they don't have a chance in hell
    >> since he could be working for them in short order.
    >> Um ok?

    > Could it be that he's being realistic? How many people do you personally
    > know making a successful living doing this. BTW, I define "a successful
    > living" as earning enough to pay the monthly bills and have some left over
    > at the end.

    No.. he's being cynical. Telling someone you don't even know that they are
    never going to be able to do something they might love is sheer arrogance.
    Are you saying that no one will ever hire another nature videographer? The
    truth is that no one knows if this person will get a gig or not.

    If you look at his resume he started out in recording studios in the 70's.
    Just like me. I worked engineering records in west coast US studios. Now,
    SOMEONE gave him an opportunity didn't they? Doesn't look like he started
    out doing what he is doing now..

    Oh, frick.. this is so simple it's stupid. You agree with me I'm sure. You
    were just offended that I thought his remark was arrogant. Anytime people
    start pulling out resumes it is silly.

    As to hopw many people I know making a living at what? A couple of my
    friends have Academy awards. Many others are quite well off.. Doing what?
    Video? Sure.. I know many people making a decent living from it.

    a-e-i-o-u-, Oct 17, 2004
  13. Mike Kujbida Guest

    a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
    > "Mike Kujbida" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> a-e-i-o-u- wrote:
    >>> "Mike Kujbida" <> wrote in message

    >>> Um Mike..
    >>> I see absolutely nothing remarkable about his resume at all. I am
    >>> not dumb enough to put mine on the internet, nor have I ever needed
    >>> to, so comparing the two would be pointless and is irrelevant to
    >>> anyone but you I suppose, If he really is such an experienced pro
    >>> he ought to know better than to tell anyone they don't have a
    >>> chance in hell since he could be working for them in short order.
    >>> Um ok?

    >> Could it be that he's being realistic? How many people do you
    >> personally know making a successful living doing this. BTW, I
    >> define "a successful living" as earning enough to pay the monthly
    >> bills and have some left over at the end.

    > No.. he's being cynical. Telling someone you don't even know that
    > they are never going to be able to do something they might love is
    > sheer arrogance. Are you saying that no one will ever hire another
    > nature videographer? The truth is that no one knows if this person
    > will get a gig or not.

    I call Leslie's comments realistic. The sad truth is that there are very
    few people making money successfully doing what the OP was asking about.
    Then again, it's the same in almost all aspects of this business. The
    number of people who have dreams of being a successful film maker/recording
    engineer/actor/singer greatly exceed those who have accomplished their
    goals. Colleges, universities and various other schools are more than happy
    to take your money with little to no guarantee of you getting your dream
    job. Most folks who do succeed have invested years of hard work getting to
    that point. I'm not saying that it can't be done. In the OP's case, I'd
    start with some research into the particular field he/she is interested in.
    I've never done any wildlife photography other than videotape loons at the
    family cottage so I have no suggestions for the OP other than to start
    reading the appropriate trade magazines and watching videos by well-known
    wildlife film makers. A Google search on "nature videos" turned up several
    pages of interesting links.

    > If you look at his resume he started out in recording studios in the
    > 70's. Just like me. I worked engineering records in west coast US
    > studios. Now, SOMEONE gave him an opportunity didn't they? Doesn't
    > look like he started out doing what he is doing now..

    And I'm not doing what I was doing 30 years ago either. I'm still in the
    video business but my days as a maintenance tech are far far behind me.
    Someone gave me a chance back then but it was based on a college diploma in
    the appropriate field and a successful job interview. The rest of my career
    has been a constant learning curve in an attempt to stay on top of
    technology.

    > Oh, frick.. this is so simple it's stupid. You agree with me I'm
    > sure. You were just offended that I thought his remark was arrogant.
    > Anytime people start pulling out resumes it is silly.

    His resume is online just like a number of other people. You chooose not to
    tell us about yourself and that's your right but please don't slam others
    for doing so.

    > As to hopw many people I know making a living at what? A couple of my
    > friends have Academy awards. Many others are quite well off.. Doing
    > what? Video? Sure.. I know many people making a decent living from it.

    The subject line is "video taping wildlife???" and the OP's question was
    "How hard is it to get some kind of job vidoe taping wildlife and other
    outdoor things?". Do you know anyone making a living at videotaping
    wildlife?

    Mike

    Mike Kujbida, Oct 17, 2004
  14. kay & wand Guest

> [...]

    > technology.
    >

    >> Oh, frick.. this is so simple it's stupid. You agree with me I'm
    >> sure. You were just offended that I thought his remark was arrogant.
    >> Anytime people start pulling out resumes it is silly.

    > His resume is online just like a number of other people. You chooose not
    > tell us about yourself and that's your right but please don't slam others
    > for doing so.
    >

    >> As to hopw many people I know making a living at what? A couple of my
    >> friends have Academy awards. Many others are quite well off.. Doing
    >> what? Video? Sure.. I know many people making a decent living from it.

    > The subject line is "video taping wildlife???" and the OP's question was
    > "How hard is it to get some kind of job vidoe taping wildlife and other
    > outdoor things?". Do you know anyone making a living at videotaping

    thank you mike for your comments and observations..... some points for
    a-e-i-o-u- to peruse:

    a. my resume is on the net (like many others) for potential clients to view
    rather than having to send out blurb, as are the course notes i use to teach
    video production (which i've done at university level as well)....

    b. yes, like everyone back in the good/bad old days, i got my start by
    chance, and a bit of technical/artistic skill. try getting a job nowadays
    that way! any production comapny wants either a degree, or if their
    intelligent, to see a showreel. the latter should be the key, not the
    former, but we live in a world of mba's....

    c. my answer to the op's question was my opinion, just as a-e-i-o-u- is
    entiltled to his view that i was being arrogant. however, having a bit of
    experience around the track, i think my opinion quite justified. i do know
    quite a few wildlife camera people (two women among them) - australia is
    great for it - and i can tell you one thing - they know their stuff, inside
    out!!!!

    d. i'm now into my 50's, and still bloody learning! i thought i'd retire to
    the country and leave the ponytailed mobile phone brigade back in sydney and
    'veg' out. since moving here the only vegging i've been doing is connected
    with vegas files! it would seem that experience is still considered a
    valuable commodity, whether it comes with a degree or not.

    e. i would dearly love to go into more depth and give vent to the anger and
    frustration i've acquired in following my career, $75k sp rigs out performed
    by $3k minidv (in certain circumstances), software that never stops
    developing long enough for you to get a grip on it, etc., etc., but the
    truth is, i'm still making money doing what i like doing, and i'm even
    taking on the odd wedding nowadays for the cash in hand and truely happy
    clients i see at the end of the day.

    a-e-i-o-u-, you might find me arrogant, but i can assure you, there was no
    arrogance intended, just plain old truth, the way i see it.

    leslie

    kay & wand, Oct 17, 2004
  15. Steve Guidry Guest

    Gee nap,

    There's no need for name calling.

    The OP asked how hard it would be "to get a job" taping wildlife.

    And Les is right on the money - - it's darn hard.

    Steve

    Steve Guidry, Oct 18, 2004
  16. a-e-i-o-u- Guest

    HELLO! ANYHONE HOME??? MY STATEMENT HAD ZIP TO DO WITH RESUMES.

    You guys hauling out your resumes.. And going over your life stories.. it is
    all nice but irrelevant!

    After raising 3 kids I would rather inspire people than tell them they
    haven't a chance in hell.

    That's all. And , resumes or not, I stand by my assertion that the response
    to the OP was arrogant and rude.

    I don't really care who made the statement, how old they are or what they've
    done.

    a-e-i-o-u-, Oct 18, 2004
  17. a-e-i-o-u- Guest

    "Steve Guidry" <> wrote in message
    > Gee nap,
    >
    > There's no need for name calling.
    >
    > The OP asked how hard it would be "to get a job" taping wildlife.
    >
    > And Les is right on the money - - it's darn hard.
    >
    > Steve

    You're right Steve... Although I didn't exactly call anyone a name.. I said
    only an asshole would.. ;) depends on what the meaning of 'is' is. I take
    exception to telling newbies they haven't a chance in hell. That's all.. not
    necessary to haul out everyone's resume and have a big long thread about it.
    My kids are successful because they were told they could do anything. No
    matter how hard it might have been for me.

    a-e-i-o-u-, Oct 18, 2004
  18. david.mccall Guest

    "a-e-i-o-u-" <> wrote in message

    > "Steve Guidry" <> wrote in message
    >> Gee nap,
    >>
    >> There's no need for name calling.
    >>
    >> The OP asked how hard it would be "to get a job" taping wildlife.
    >>
    >> And Les is right on the money - - it's darn hard.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>

    > You're right Steve... Although I didn't exactly call anyone a name.. I
    > said only an asshole would.. ;) depends on what the meaning of 'is' is. I
    > take exception to telling newbies they haven't a chance in hell. That's
    > all.. not necessary to haul out everyone's resume and have a big long
    > thread about it. My kids are successful because they were told they could
    > do anything. No matter how hard it might have been for me.

    I was actually happy to see you trying to encourage the OP. I agree with
    you that it is usually better to encourage than it is to discourage. Leslie
    is
    welcome to offer his positions too. It is better for the OP to see multiple
    opinions and let him decide for himself whether he should go down that
    road or not.

    You both have good points to offer,
    but I don't see the need for getting nasty about it.

    David

    david.mccall, Oct 18, 2004
  19. a-e-i-o-u- Guest

    "david.mccall" <> wrote in message

    > "a-e-i-o-u-" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Steve Guidry" <> wrote in message
    >>> Gee nap,
    >>>
    >>> There's no need for name calling.
    >>>
    >>> The OP asked how hard it would be "to get a job" taping wildlife.
    >>>
    >>> And Les is right on the money - - it's darn hard.
    >>>
    >>> Steve
    >>>

    >> You're right Steve... Although I didn't exactly call anyone a name.. I
    >> said only an asshole would.. ;) depends on what the meaning of 'is' is. I
    >> take exception to telling newbies they haven't a chance in hell. That's
    >> all.. not necessary to haul out everyone's resume and have a big long
    >> thread about it. My kids are successful because they were told they could
    >> do anything. No matter how hard it might have been for me.
    >>

    > I was actually happy to see you trying to encourage the OP. I agree with
    > you that it is usually better to encourage than it is to discourage.
    > Leslie is
    > welcome to offer his positions too. It is better for the OP to see
    > multiple
    > opinions and let him decide for himself whether he should go down that
    > road or not.
    >
    > You both have good points to offer,
    > but I don't see the need for getting nasty about it.
    >
    > David

    Damn David.. you're always so sensible.

    a-e-i-o-u-, Oct 18, 2004
  20. david.mccall Guest