    The output is .mpg format. The disks cannot be read in a Panasonic
    portable DVD player.

    Any suggestions as to why ? Any suggestions as to solution ?
    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Jan 17, 2011

  2. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Rhino Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 16:29:13 +1300,
    "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> wrote:

    >I have a USB dongle to capture video tapes via Ulead Video Studio.
    >
    >Configuration set to DVD regiosn 3 and Pal videu system.
    >
    >The output is .mpg format. The disks cannot be read in a Panasonic
    >portable DVD player.
    >
    >Any suggestions as to why ? Any suggestions as to solution ?

    DVD region for Aus/NZ is 4. PAL is correct for your output.

    Are you using single or dual layer dvds? I have found that some dual
    layer ones play ok in the drive that burnt them on the PC, but not in
    dvd players/recorders.

    Cheers, Rhino
    Rhino, Jan 17, 2011

  3. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Brocker Guest

    On Jan 17, 4:29 pm, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
    <> wrote:
    > I have a USB dongle to capture video tapes via Ulead Video Studio.
    >
    > Configuration set to DVD regiosn 3 and Pal videu system.
    >
    > The output is .mpg format. The disks cannot be read in a Panasonic
    > portable DVD player.
    >
    > Any suggestions as to why ? Any suggestions as to solution ?

    Because what you have is neither Divx or DVD. A further step is
    required to convert it to Divx (which many players support) or produce
    a standard DVD. Divx makers can be found for free not sure of DVD
    makers.
    Nero has one where you just drop .mpg file and create and burn a
    standard DVD.
    Brocker, Jan 17, 2011
  4. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-01-17, Brocker <> wrote:
    > On Jan 17, 4:29 pm, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
    ><> wrote:
    >> I have a USB dongle to capture video tapes via Ulead Video Studio.
    >>
    >> Configuration set to DVD regiosn 3 and Pal videu system.
    >>
    >> The output is .mpg format. The disks cannot be read in a Panasonic
    >> portable DVD player.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions as to why ? Any suggestions as to solution ?

    > Because what you have is neither Divx or DVD. A further step is
    > required to convert it to Divx (which many players support) or produce
    > a standard DVD. Divx makers can be found for free not sure of DVD
    > makers.

    Devede, free as in speech and home page is at

    http://www.rastersoft.com/programas/devede.html.

    Interface is a bit zany.

    Ms Windows plaform folks go here http://www.majorsilence.com/devede.

    Rremember to give a donation if it works for you.
    Gordon, Jan 17, 2011
  5. On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 16:29:13 +1300, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a USB dongle to capture video tapes via Ulead Video Studio.
    >
    >Configuration set to DVD regiosn 3 and Pal videu system.
    >
    >The output is .mpg format. The disks cannot be read in a Panasonic
    >portable DVD player.
    >
    >Any suggestions as to why ? Any suggestions as to solution ?

    Read the Manual of the DVD Player it will give you the info of the Video
    formats that are supported or Post the Model No. here.

    The Region here is 4 unless the Player has been made Multi region.
    William Brown, Jan 17, 2011
  6. On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 19:45:48 +1300, William Brown <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 16:29:13 +1300, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I have a USB dongle to capture video tapes via Ulead Video Studio.
    >>
    >>Configuration set to DVD regiosn 3 and Pal videu system.
    >>
    >>The output is .mpg format. The disks cannot be read in a Panasonic
    >>portable DVD player.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions as to why ? Any suggestions as to solution ?

    >Read the Manual of the DVD Player it will give you the info of the Video
    >formats that are supported or Post the Model No. here.
    >
    >The Region here is 4 unless the Player has been made Multi region.

    But you should never bother to create a disk for yourself that has
    region encoding - just make it region 0 ie region free.
    Stephen Worthington, Jan 18, 2011
  7. >But you should never bother to create a disk for yourself that has
    >region encoding - just make it region 0 ie region free.

    I agree: but it appears that the software must be configured
    with a region before it will load.

    Tks to all for suggestions: I've now make a disk that is read on
    the portable appliance.
    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Jan 18, 2011
  8. In message <>,
    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:

    >>... it appears that the software must be configured with a region before
    >>it will load.

    Stupid software.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 18, 2011
  9. In article <>, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> wrote:
    >>But you should never bother to create a disk for yourself that has
    >>region encoding - just make it region 0 ie region free.

    > I agree: but it appears that the software must be configured
    >with a region before it will load.
    >
    > Tks to all for suggestions: I've now make a disk that is read on
    >the portable appliance.

    Great ... care to say what you did that worked - for those of us yet to try
    it ? :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jan 25, 2011
  10. In January I sought help if finding software to resolve a problem
    with video tapes 'converted' to DVDs that could not be read by
    portable DVD player.

    One contributor asked that I report my expderience.

    What follows worked for me—all DVDs are now reader from a
    portable player.

    I used four programs while converting video tapes to DVD.

    1. Ulead Video Studio (bundled with EasyCap appliance.This device
    was bought from a TradeMe trader. I chose the slightly dearer model to
    secure the latest version of the bundled software.)
    www.ulead.com

    2. Video Dub (one of the components of DVDVideoSoft)
    www.dvdvideosoft.com Free Studio

    3. Free Video to DVD Converter (another component of DVDVideoSoft)

    4. DVD Shrink
    (Search needed to find this program)

    1. Capture : Note this functions takes time—a full three-hour tape
    takes at least the same time to be captured. With a second computer
    this is no great disadvantage, other than making the best use of the
    remainder of your day or evening.

    The EasyCap adapter includes clearly labelled and standard colour
    coded RCA and S-Video connectors.

    The outrun of the capture process is an .mpg file.

    Note that the default file location is buried in the Documents
    and Setting folder. I found it simpler to nominate a folder on an
    external hard drive with adequate capacity, as the outrun files
    commonly run to several GBs.

    I elected not to use the bundled video editing software, but used
    recommended alternatives. Nevertheless the ULead software is supported
    with adequate/good bundled manual. The manual assumes users have
    sufficient knowledge to make informed choices (about video systems,
    frames rates etc). As a tyro I adopted the recommended or default
    settings and achieved acceptable results, considering the original
    videos were amateur prepared records of travel tours.

    The software provides for all resources from capture (Movie
    Wizard) to dubbing, editing, making titles to disk burning(none of
    which I used). I elected to burn disks with another product I already
    knew well.

    The adapter also captures streaming TV programs.

    I'm unsure about the impact of the on-board audio resources on
    final audio quality of the burned disks, as I have little knowledge or
    experience in this field.

    2. I found the video dub feature in Ulead not easy to use, and used
    instead DVDVideoSoft's dubbing element—Video Dub.

    The dubbing options are clearly marked on a dubbing bar and
    on-screen access to a schedule of shortcuts sped up the dubbing
    process.

    In my case dubbing usually consisted of removing blank segments
    at the beginning and end of the captured material introduced by
    starting the capture process immediately before starting the video
    source player, and not being immediately available to stop the capture
    process when the video tape ran out.
    Each section to be removed is marked and immediately deleted.
    After all deletions have been made the file is reprocessed and
    saved. This may only take 20–30 minutes.

    As an experiment I successfully removed the 'Intermission'
    segment of a 2½ hr program captured from TV.

    Note: Free Studeo consists of eight selections covering a range
    of image and audio functions and YouTube and Apple features. Each
    component of each selection is represented by a separate executable
    file. Having reviewed all the functons offered, I needed just two for
    my project, but the others have been retained against future use.

    3. I used the Free Video to DVD Converter to process the dubbed .mpg
    to VTS files for burning to disk.

    This is a second time-consuming process and creates large groups
    of files.

    4. I used DVDShrink when necessary to reduce the VTS files to a
    single disk file size before burning to disk and verification with
    Ashampoo Burning Studio.

    DVDShrink is no longer available from the proprietors but may
    still be found on various archive sites.

    5. Note all these processes have been achieved with 'free' or
    'bundled licence' versions of proprietory software.
    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Apr 18, 2011
  11. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 12:07:28 +1200,
    "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    > DVDShrink is no longer available from the proprietors but may
    >still be found on various archive sites.

    Here's where you can download the last version of DVDShrink and find
    tutorials on how to use it:

    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cd_dvd/copy_dvd/dvd_shrink.cfm

    For other questions see the official DVDShrink.org forum:

    http://www.dvdshrink.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=587f370edeca0c4529428d0f41b1ac50
    Donchano, Apr 18, 2011
  12. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 12:07:28 +1200,
    "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> shouted
    from the highest rooftop:

    > In January I sought help if finding software to resolve a problem
    >with video tapes 'converted' to DVDs that could not be read by
    >portable DVD player.
    >
    > One contributor asked that I report my expderience.
    >
    > What follows worked for me—all DVDs are now reader from a
    >portable player.

    Many thanks for your update and the step-by-step. I have the same
    hardware and software, but even though I've already "backed-up"
    several of my videos to DVD I've forgotten how I did it. I'm printing
    out your post for future reference. Cheers ...
    Donchano, Apr 18, 2011