    long we can record video from any specs?

    Thanks,

    John
    John61, Jul 28, 2006

  2. John61 <> wrote:
    : I'm buying a digital camera, prefer one with better movie recording.

    : Among the specs of a digital camera, what decide video recording
    : length? That's the difference between Internal Memory and Included
    : Digital Media Size. I saw some of them have Zero memory, why? Can we
    : get a rough idea how long we can record video from any specs?

    The problem is that each brand may store the video with different
    compression settings and resolutions. Also some cameras have multiple
    changeable settings such as frame rate, image resolution and compression
    mode. These would effect the memory requirements for each min of record
    time. The max record time will depend on the memory capacity. For
    internal memory that is a constant for that camera and so if the camera
    can use the internal memory for video storage it would have a length
    listed. And if a memory card is included in the original package the time
    listed will be for that card. If the camera comes with no external memory
    card the length would be zero. There may be some listing in the camera
    specs that will indicate how much recording time you can get at a
    specific memory size, but you will probably have to interpret for your
    specific memory card size. One indicator is to look at the spec for
    internal memory capacity and then the max recording time with the
    internal memory. Then just divide the internal capacity into the capacity
    of your external (removable) memory card and multiply the result by the
    length of the internal movie capacity. This would give you some rough
    indication.

    I don't know about your particular camera but I have one that when I have
    a card in place and switch to movie mode the max record length with the
    current unused portion of the memory card is displayed on the LCD. This is
    where the number of images still available is normally displayed. You may
    just have to put each of your cards in, fully emptied, to see what each of
    them say. Of course this doesn't help you when you are yet to purchase the
    camera.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL
    Randy Berbaum, Jul 28, 2006

  3. John61

    Guest

    On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 22:54:48 -0600, "John61" <> wrote:

    > I'm buying a digital camera, prefer one with better movie recording.
    >
    > Among the specs of a digital camera, what decide video recording length?
    > That's the difference between Internal Memory and Included Digital Media
    > Size. I saw some of them have Zero memory, why? Can we get a rough idea how
    > long we can record video from any specs?

    Canon S2 IS or S3 IS.
    , Jul 28, 2006
  4. John61

    iws Guest

    "John61" <> wrote in message
    > I'm buying a digital camera, prefer one with better movie recording.
    >
    > Among the specs of a digital camera, what decide video recording length?
    > That's the difference between Internal Memory and Included Digital Media
    > Size. I saw some of them have Zero memory, why? Can we get a rough idea

    how
    > long we can record video from any specs?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John

    If you go to the Canon site, you can find the camera manuals which provide
    detailed info on movie recording length. For my A620, recording at 640x480
    pixels, I can get about 8 minutes on a 1 GB card or 32 minutes on my 4 GB
    card. The A620 offers two other resolutions and frame rates of 15, 30 and 60
    per sec. All these parameters will affect the recording length per GB so you
    have to be careful when comparing with other cameras.
    iws, Jul 28, 2006
  5. Ï "John61" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    > I'm buying a digital camera, prefer one with better movie recording.

    Isn't that an oxymoron?
    > Among the specs of a digital camera, what decide video recording length?
    > That's the difference between Internal Memory and Included Digital Media
    > Size. I saw some of them have Zero memory, why? Can we get a rough idea

    how
    > long we can record video from any specs?

    IMHO digital still cameras are specialized for taking stills, and camcorders
    are optimized for taking video.Why not get a good mini dv camcorder?They are
    not expensive after all.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    542nd mechanized infantry batallion