    Are there any traps and pitfalls that I should be aware of?
    Thanks
    Brian Tozer
    KiwiBrian, Jul 7, 2004

  2. KiwiBrian

    Brett Cooper Guest

    On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 15:43:26 +1200, "KiwiBrian" <> wrote:

    >I want to use my PC to take video from a Camcorder and burn it onto DVDs.
    >I have the DVD burner.
    >Can I purchase a PCI card to input the video from the camcorder?
    >If so, what sort should I be looking for, cheapish rather than expensive.
    >Are there any traps and pitfalls that I should be aware of?
    >Thanks
    >Brian Tozer

    I have both AGP and PCI video in on my computer, I like the AGP as it is a
    fast port and handles more data (greater screen sizes). But I think they
    both do the job well (I am bi-est towards agp). A good PCI card to get
    would be one with the BT878 Chipset. I just had a look at (sorry for the
    add) www.tastech.co.nz they have the PixelView Play TV Pro PCI TV Tuner,
    BT878 Chipset, with Remote Control, FM Radio, Teletext, Capture for $75
    and the Leadtek 2000XP Deluxe PCI TV Tuner, BT878 Chipset, with Remote
    Control, FM Radio, Teletext, Capture for $110

    I went with the Leadtek but found the teletext was optional, I think the
    $75 would do just as good a job.

    Here is a tutorial on what to do to do your cam to DVD,

    http://arstechnica.com/guide/audio-visual/videocapturing/vidcap-1.html

    Another great video site is,
    http://www.videohelp.com/

    Brett
    Brett Cooper, Jul 7, 2004

  3. KiwiBrian

    JohnO Guest

    "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in message
    > I want to use my PC to take video from a Camcorder and burn it onto DVDs.
    > I have the DVD burner.
    > Can I purchase a PCI card to input the video from the camcorder?
    > If so, what sort should I be looking for, cheapish rather than expensive.
    > Are there any traps and pitfalls that I should be aware of?
    > Thanks
    > Brian Tozer

    Cheapish if you have a fast machine. The quality is probably not that great
    anyway if coming off a non digital camcorder.

    The cheap cards produce raw frame video data, which needs to be converted to
    MPEG2 format to be written to the DVD. The more expensive models do hardware
    compression to MPEG2 on the PCI card.

    I'd just look for a PCI card that is cheap and comes bundled with software
    to do the MPEG encoding on the fly.

    Oh, you are not talking about a digital camcorder are you? If so, it
    probably has a Firewire port. You could just get a firewire PCI card for
    your PC and use the freebie MS or linux movie software to convert the video
    stream from the camcorder directly to MPEG2.
    JohnO, Jul 7, 2004
  4. KiwiBrian

    Peter Grooby Guest

    In article <ccfrgp$m06$>, says...
    > I want to use my PC to take video from a Camcorder and burn it onto DVDs.
    > I have the DVD burner.
    > Can I purchase a PCI card to input the video from the camcorder?
    > If so, what sort should I be looking for, cheapish rather than expensive.
    > Are there any traps and pitfalls that I should be aware of?
    > Thanks
    > Brian Tozer

    I understand there are two classes of cards
    The cheap ones that run around $100, usually based on the BT878 chipset,
    and the 'quality' ones that run about $350 or so. I've heard good stuff
    about the Hauppauge cards in this catagory.

    I've been playing around with one of the sub $100 BT878 cards, to do as
    you describe above. The quality could probalby be described as OK.
    Sort of like what you would get playing a 3 year old video tape.

    Pete

    Remove pants from email address to reply.
    Peter Grooby, Jul 7, 2004
  5. In article <ccfrgp$m06$>, says...
    > I want to use my PC to take video from a Camcorder and burn it onto DVDs.
    > I have the DVD burner.
    > Can I purchase a PCI card to input the video from the camcorder?
    > If so, what sort should I be looking for, cheapish rather than expensive.
    > Are there any traps and pitfalls that I should be aware of?

    Is there any reason why you can't use a digital camcorder? This will give
    much better quality, and works with a commonly available and cheap
    firewire card.
    Patrick Dunford, Jul 7, 2004
  6. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "KiwiBrian" <> wrote in message
    > I want to use my PC to take video from a Camcorder and burn it onto DVDs.
    > I have the DVD burner.
    > Can I purchase a PCI card to input the video from the camcorder?
    > If so, what sort should I be looking for, cheapish rather than expensive.
    > Are there any traps and pitfalls that I should be aware of?

    Thanks everyone for the very helpfull info.
    B.
    KiwiBrian, Jul 7, 2004
  7. On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 16:56:01 +1200, Peter Grooby
    <> wrote:

    >In article <ccfrgp$m06$>, says...
    >> I want to use my PC to take video from a Camcorder and burn it onto DVDs.
    >> I have the DVD burner.
    >> Can I purchase a PCI card to input the video from the camcorder?
    >> If so, what sort should I be looking for, cheapish rather than expensive.
    >> Are there any traps and pitfalls that I should be aware of?
    >> Thanks
    >> Brian Tozer

    >I understand there are two classes of cards
    >The cheap ones that run around $100, usually based on the BT878 chipset,
    >and the 'quality' ones that run about $350 or so. I've heard good stuff
    >about the Hauppauge cards in this catagory.
    >
    >I've been playing around with one of the sub $100 BT878 cards, to do as
    >you describe above. The quality could probalby be described as OK.
    >Sort of like what you would get playing a 3 year old video tape.

    There's a comparison at: http://aardvark.co.nz/pvr/pvr7.shtml

    However, if you have a miniDV cam that provides a digital out port
    then get yourself a firewire card and use that -- the results will be
    much better.

    If it doesn't have a digital out port then it should have an SVideo
    output and that would be preferable to the regular composite output --
    just make sure your chosen capture card also has an SVideo input.

    Need a cruise missile?
    http://www.interestingprojects.com/needamissile.shtml
    Bruce Simpson, Jul 7, 2004
  8. KiwiBrian

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 16:34:44 +1200, "JohnO" <> wrote:

    >"KiwiBrian" <> wrote in message
    >> I want to use my PC to take video from a Camcorder and burn it onto DVDs.
    >> I have the DVD burner.
    >> Can I purchase a PCI card to input the video from the camcorder?
    >> If so, what sort should I be looking for, cheapish rather than expensive.
    >> Are there any traps and pitfalls that I should be aware of?
    >> Thanks
    >> Brian Tozer
    >>

    >Cheapish if you have a fast machine. The quality is probably not that great
    >anyway if coming off a non digital camcorder.
    >
    >The cheap cards produce raw frame video data, which needs to be converted to
    >MPEG2 format to be written to the DVD. The more expensive models do hardware
    >compression to MPEG2 on the PCI card.
    >
    >I'd just look for a PCI card that is cheap and comes bundled with software
    >to do the MPEG encoding on the fly.

    If you can, you're usually better off not encoding on the fly. If you
    record the raw or compressed lossless video data, then encode it
    letting the encoder take whatever time it needs you get a much better
    result.
    Craig Shore, Jul 9, 2004